currie adjustable arms too short or bad install? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > currie adjustable arms too short or bad install?

TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 01-17-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
motobob
1998 TJ Wrangler 

currie adjustable arms too short or bad install?

I was wondering if anyone has ever had an issue with the currie adjustable control arms being too short? Or can someone let me know if I screwed up. I just recently installed a sye and a cv driveshaft. After much research from this forum I decided on currie adjustable arms to adjust my pinion. I just received them yesterday and attempted to install them last night but they appear to be too short. I have a 4 inch fabtech lift. According to Currie their upper arms only need to be 13.5 inches long for a tj with 4 inches of lift and a sye and cv driveshaft. In my application they are about an inch too short. I need them to be 14.5 inches to match my axle output angle to my driveline angle. I adjusted the arms out to 14.5 inches of length but according to Curries instructions you should not have any more than 3/4 of an inch of threads showing past the jam nut. In my case I would have an 1 3/4 of an inch of thread showing. Surely I screwed up somewhere. Anyone else have any issues or any suggestions for me. Thanks

motobob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
alvinl
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here is a response I got from Currie tech support about this issue.

Quote:
The rule of thumb is that you must have the same lenght of at least the diameter of the threads engaged in whatever its being threaded in to, the jam nut not being included
And one more quote from Currie about the fully extended lenght

Quote:
I have in my notes that the fully extended dimensions should be 14.5 inches from center to center of the bolt holes.

http://www.venemousduckracing.com
alvinl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
motobob
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I quess I shouldn't have re-packaged those arms then if they are going to tell me this when I call them tomorrow. Maybe they might want to spend an extra dollar on each arm and include so more metal. problem solved.
Unread 01-17-2010, 11:13 PM   #4
pumpman55
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i just replaced my arm with currie arms and found the same problem on the rear uppers. iI have 4.5" springs to get the pinion angle the lenght needed to be 14" that only left 3/4" engagement in the tube. so what i did was tig weld a 3/4" x16 rht nut to the end of the tube. the nut extended the tube an additional 5/8". on the front uppers had the same problem arms are set 1/4" longer than what the insructions said have 7/8" thread engagment . ididn't extend the front tubes seem ok. i wheeled the hell out of my jeep at jonson valley on saturday no problems at all that is some really hard all rock trails. i got tired of replacing bushings on my RE short arm kit
pumpman55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
motobob
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I just got off the phone with Currie and they say their arms are only suppost to be 13.5" for a tj with a 4" lift, sye, and a cv driveshaft. Stock arms are 13.5". WTF My suggestion is also to take the johnny joint apart and then weld a bolt on the other side of the original one that is one inch longer. Then cut theirs off. I should have built my own. Lesson learned I guess. You would think Curries R&D would be a little better.
Unread 01-18-2010, 10:19 AM   #6
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

wow. how long are the LCA's (eye to eye)? how long is the threaded shaft on the JJ? do you have any pictures?
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 10:29 AM   #7
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That's about the 3rd time I've heard this. A lot of folks are moving to the Currie arms because they're a good value relatively speaking. It sounds like they need to get their act together and fix this before people get scared away.
Unread 01-18-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

i just measured my Currie arms (not installed yet). by their instructions, it looks like the max length you can get out is 13.5"...which makes them essentially useless. you can get to 14" but there is very little thread left in the shaft. wow thats really disappointing coming from Currie....

Rokmen's are adjustable up to 1" longer than stock according to their website - Rokmen - ROKMEN Adjustable Control Arms
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #9
Shakey
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
i just measured my Currie arms (not installed yet). by their instructions, it looks like the max length you can get out is 13.5"...which makes them essentially useless. you can get to 14" but there is very little thread left in the shaft. wow thats really disappointing coming from Currie....
Actually, for an Unlimited, I'll bet they work just fine. I actually had to shorten the rear upper arms, but I still have the stock driveshaft.

And the instructions only state the arms are pre-set for a "4" lift with a transfer case shaft kit and a CV driveshaft." They should think about stating that that is likely the max you can get away with. So, for example, if you have a 4" lift and an aftermarket transfer case skid, the Currie rear upper arms likely won't work for you. But this has been a known "problem" for years.
Shakey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 11:35 AM   #10
SpeedJeep
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Great. I have BNIB Currie arms sitting here waiting to be installed that are several months old and now people are saying they won't work for my application? WTF
SpeedJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 12:09 PM   #11
kuebelwagen
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Do You have Your lowers too long? Maybe shorten them up a little... that will make your uppers 'longer'.

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

2004 Rubicon
1995 Cherokee
kuebelwagen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #12
ROKMEN

Our rear Upper CV Control arms will do 14.5" without any problems, and still have the nescessary thread engagement.

We make two verions of our Arms:
1 version is stock length + 1" of adjustablitly
The other version is 1" longer than stock + 1" of adjustablility.

www.ROKMEN.com - When only the best will do!
ROKMEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 01:13 PM   #13
Shakey
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboyd View Post
Great. I have BNIB Currie arms sitting here waiting to be installed that are several months old and now people are saying they won't work for my application? WTF
How'd you figure that?

You never posted in this thread, no one told you anything.
Shakey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 01:19 PM   #14
SpeedJeep
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
How'd you figure that?

You never posted in this thread, no one told you anything.
Umm...I have the same setup as the OP and possibly a TT which would make the situation even worse. Just a logical conclusion.
SpeedJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 01:53 PM   #15
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobob View Post
I just got off the phone with Currie and they say their arms are only suppost to be 13.5" for a tj with a 4" lift, sye, and a cv driveshaft. Stock arms are 13.5". WTF My suggestion is also to take the johnny joint apart and then weld a bolt on the other side of the original one that is one inch longer. Then cut theirs off. I should have built my own. Lesson learned I guess. You would think Curries R&D would be a little better.
Seeing as how Currie has built a ton of rigs at their shop with their arms and springs, I think their R&D is just fine.

I suspect this issue is coming about from all of us who have run the Currie stuff for years with no issue and now folks are trying to run them on lifts that are taller than 4". When Currie says their kit is 4", that means it's 4" unlike RE where depending on the day, their 4.5" kit is anywhere from 5-7" of lift.

Since Rokmen makes longer arm I'd look at going that route. They still use the JJ's and you can get them on both ends which makes for a great solution for you folks with the taller lifts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.