Curious about POR-15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Curious about POR-15

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 09-06-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
USCGTWEET
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Curious about POR-15

I was just curious if anyone has POR-15 there bumper? I saw some in the store and had an epiphany? And if so any pics?

USCGTWEET is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2008, 07:37 PM   #2
MB98XJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What store did you see POR-15 in? I can't find it anywhere but online.

JEEP CHEROKEE LIMITED 1999 BLACK LEATHER INTERIOR 4X4
MB98XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
Shrek
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have used POR15 on frames and other parts. It's great stuff. Powdercoating is best for bumpers or an epoxy based paint if you want to shoot it yourself is good. I touch up my bumpers and rock rails with POR15 after a day in the rocks. Try it out, if you don't like it, you can always sandblast and powdercoat later.
97 TJ 4.0, AX15, E-Fan, 5" Full Traction Long Arm - D44s /4:88s, 36" TSL/SX Swampers on Cragar Bead Locks, Atlas ll, Outback Extreme OnBoard Air, Hand Throttle, Homemade Sliders, Homemade Rear Roll Cage, M.O.R.E. High Clearance Bumpers, Currie Currectlync Steering, Currie Anti rock, Warn 9.5XP, OR Fab Sport Cage Up Front, I've lost control.
Shrek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2008, 08:01 PM   #4
ShinySideUp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCGTWEET View Post
I was just curious if anyone has POR-15 there bumper? I saw some in the store and had an epiphany? And if so any pics?
I used the POR-15 on the bumper BESRK sold me - it worked great, and the kit had everything I needed (etch, rinse, and coating) to do the job. Looks great.

I also bought some UV coat, but didn't put it on. The POR on my bumper has faded where the sun hits (but not under the tire lol). I will probably use the UV coat before winter.

For the record, I dropped my trailer hitch (that slides into the receiver) onto the bumper about three weeks after I mounted it. The powder coat on the hich chipped on the corner that it landed on, but it didn't leave a mark on the bumper.

I like it!

Is there a "[B]Black Jeep [/B]Club?"

[URL="http://www.militaryjeepers.com"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Olive"]militaryjeepers[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL] [SIZE="4"]club member #254[/SIZE]

Unread 09-06-2008, 08:06 PM   #5
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
...if you don't like it, you can always sandblast and powdercoat later.
i do sandblasting/soda blasting, and I can tell you it doesn't come off. Or it will if you take off enough metel. Remember, POR-15 BONDS and embeds into the metal. However, thats what you want
Unread 09-06-2008, 11:46 PM   #6
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I used it on my entire frame, ground to bare metal, etched with metal ready, and it holds up beautifully. Also used it on my flat fenders.

Prep: ALL oil and grease MUST be removed, or it'll peel. Use Acetone or similar pait prep solvent.

Where exposed to direct sun, topcoat with literally anything; I used 1 dollar a can rustoleum on the fenders.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2008, 01:16 AM   #7
silvrjeepr
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I used it on the frame and wheel wells of a dodge power wagon and it peeled everywhere the sun hit it. The frame held up really well though. It was a long time ago so they may have changed it up a little...

Overall, I really liked the stuff.
silvrjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2008, 01:23 AM   #8
silvrjeepr
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodyrider View Post
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfuction or uninstall themselves at any time.
Haha I forgot all about posting that. Glad ya liked it. LOL
silvrjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.