Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cupholder for passenger

3K views 56 replies 18 participants last post by  Jerry Bransford 
#1 ·
My Rubicon only has a 3" lift but they dropped the transmission anyway even though I'm told it doesn't need to be unless you are 4.5" or higher. So that pretty much makes the front cupholder useless I'm in 5th on the freeway for extended periods. I was thinking of buying this self-leveling RAM mount cupholder from Amazon and clamping it to the sissy bar. Anyone have better ideas? My GF apparently can't manage to not spill her drink all over the seat.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PAQKQH6?ref_=pe_623860_70668670

#6 ·
My Rubicon only has a 3" lift but they dropped the transmission anyway even though I'm told it doesn't need to be unless you are 4.5" or higher. ]
3" suspension lifts on the short-wheelbase TJ definitely need something like a tcase drop or motor mount lift to eliminate drivetrain vibrations. Only the longer wheelbase Unlimited can get away without them up to about 4.5" of suspension lift. My first TJ needed about 1/2" of tcase (transmission) drop to eliminate some mild drivetrain vibrations with just its first 2" suspension lift.

#16 ·
This is what I received from Morris 4x4 when I was inquiring about their replacement shift lever. I said 4" but my receipts say 3" Tera Flex basic lift kit with accessory upgrade kit. This Jeep isn't going to be a daily driver or commuter Jeep, mostly off road or short trips around town where I don't want to fire up the Superduty. I'll flat tow it to most farther destinations.

Q: I bought a 2004 Rubicon with a 4" Tera Flex lift. I noticed the lever is a lot lower than a stock Rubicon, I'm assuming the transmission was lowered. The shifter now seems to rock the console when going into 5th or Reverse, and when using 2nd or 4th the front cupholder is basically unuseable. Does this shift lever return it to the stock length and geometry?
03/15/17
A: Hi Robert No, this product is an aluminum replacement to the stock shifter. Crawl under your rig and look for a spacer between the transmission skid pan and the frame; if you have a transfer case drop kit on there, take it out. You can run a TJ Rubicon up to a 4.5" suspension lift with the stock driveshaft; remember, if it is a true Rubicon, you already have a fixed yoke transfer case and a cv style driveshaft from the factory. That should change the height of the shifter (if your Jeep has a body lift on it, that will change the height of the shifter as well). Hope this helps. GP

#9 ·
Do a MML and get rid of the t case drop (or most of it). I've never had the cup holder problem.

#11 ·
Submarineaz - Personally, I would like to ditch the airbags. Every wreck I have been in (none set them off in a Jeep) they caused more injury to me than the actual wreck would have.
I can see how you might think that. But having peeled my share of folks out of wrecks I'd recommend you stick with the air bags. Many times I've seen folks walk away from a wreck where, without air bags, they'd have ended up with severe and permanent life changing brain damage or in a body bag. Better to risk being roughed up by the air bag in a fender bender than severely impaired or dead in a wreck without one. ;)

#12 ·
X2. I remember that type of argument when seat belts first came out (yes I was around then). The odds of an airbag causing an injury are FAR less than how often they reduce injuries or even prevent deaths. I'd rather an injury than death, and I'd rather a less serious injury than a more serious injury.

#14 ·
My cup holders are mounted on the back of my Tuffy console.
I'm assuming you have the stock console, and won't necessarily upgrade the console just for cupholders.
Perhaps there is a way of bolting in a tuffy cup holder to the back of your factory console.
Yes, it won't aesthetically match, and you have to reach further behind you to get to the cup - but there is not safety risk upon impact.

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-105-standard-drink-holder.aspx
(and made in the USA)

#24 ·
Don't make that a challenge lol. I should have saved my sensor from my CVPI. It looked like you had scratched it, with just a slight crease. Normal driving or 4x4 won't set it off, but with all the crap people attach to the front bumpers I could see someone setting them off by pushing stuff into the grill. I've seen some guys with a Hi-Lift mounted up there and a '75 with damage from a tow bar that got loose and destroyed the fender area that would do it. You go flying headfirst off a cliff and no airbag is going to save you

#28 ·
Anyone have better ideas? My GF apparently can't manage to not spill her drink all over the seat.
I've never had the cup holder problem.
dang boogie, you going soft??? he teed it up perfect for a typical boogie response like......sounds like you need to uninstall the current gf mod and find a better quality one.......or get that ***** a sippie cup.......or something......:grin2::grin2::grin2:

#32 ·
hello

:OffTopic::OffTopic::OffTopic::OffTopic::OffTopic:

i wanted to find out about freaking cup holders...............gheez!!

start another thread on dumb ***** disabling safety features........

:eek:ntopic::eek:ntopic::eek:ntopic:

:fistlaugh::fistlaugh::fistlaugh::fistlaugh:

#33 ·
Wow.

I just want to thank everyone for their concern and general nanny-like tone of their responses. It's inspired me to put what was a low-priority mod to the top of the list, and as a bonus I can probably fund my supercharger with the sale of my airbags.
Thanks again.

Attachments

#34 ·
well post whatever cupholder you get and how you like it.........good luck on the other battle,,,,how many vehicles never cam equipped with air bags???? have they all been retro fitted???? hell i didn't even have a carseat when i was little,,,,because they weren't required, does that mean people didn't drive as fast??? NO......i see their concern but people will do what they will do......just ask all the wheelieing crotch rocket riders :laugh2:

:ranton: and i have worked a many a wreck and seen both......seatbelted fatalities.......unseatbelted fatalities......thrown from no seatbelt that survived and thrown from no seatbelt that died.......when it's your time (due to your stupidity or someone else's) it's your time :rantoff:

#35 ·
I'm a great believer in personal freedoms, too may of which are already being infringed upon. Those freedoms should remain available to all regardless of race, creed, religion, or level of intelligence. :drool:

I jest of course.
:cheers2:

#38 ·
Taking advantage of safety technology has nothing to do with willingness to take risks. I race in traditional desert, off-road rally or U4 a few times a year. High speed stuff. Serious rock crawling. Been in multi times barrel roll at speed. Been in car that caught on fire (and spent the time in the burn unit that it earned me). I refuse to get in a race car without my personal safety gear or if I think the race car has not been built to properly implement safety technology. Why would I be treat my on road vehicle or my recreational vehicle differently? The downside is too big.

#45 ·
Winning the IQ battle already I see.... Any of those race cars have air bags? Didn't think so. Think any of the CJ guys retrofitted their rigs with airbags? The Willy's people?

Airbags are on Jeeps because of a government one-size-fits all requirement. Not practical or necessary.

Think that magazine got hate mail for that sweet TJ? That's what mine is going to look like asap. I can't wait to ditch that crappy OEM steering wheel.

Have a nice weekend Nancy's

#46 ·
Winning the IQ battle already I see.... Any of those race cars have air bags? Didn't think so. Think any of the CJ guys retrofitted their rigs with airbags? The Willy's people?

Airbags are on Jeeps because of a government one-size-fits all requirement. Not practical or necessary.

Think that magazine got hate mail for that sweet TJ? That's what mine is going to look like asap. I can't wait to ditch that crappy OEM steering wheel.

Have a nice weekend Nancy's
Now this is just asking karma for a face full of steering wheel. Please let us know how it tastes, that is if you have any teeth left.

#49 ·
since casey kasem has left us i will take the reins and send this one out to Submarineaz...........you rebel you

think i'm gonna let it play in the background the rest of the day........

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.