Cummins Swap? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cummins Swap?

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 06-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #16
jeepmutiny
2000 TJ Wrangler 

A guy I talked to on FB did such a swap. He basically used a Dodge 1 ton PU for parts with an NV4500 and 60 axles. Turned out very nice but it would be cheaper to get a parts vehicle than to piece it together......Jon

jeepmutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 06:55 AM   #17
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'd love to see how the 1.9 TDI would be in person. I've done a good bit of reading on the 4bt and similar and the one big complaint is the noise and vibrations. I don't mind a little extra noise, but there is no way I could deal with a DD that was noisy and vibrated enough to drive me crazy.
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:24 AM   #18
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

The 4BT is a very heavy engine. The MPG will be in the mid to upper 20s due to the light weight of the Jeep. Some guys are now doing the smaller tractor motors (3 cyl JD or Kubota) and getting good power from them as well.

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #19
Dueces
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondosgto View Post
With a diesel you want tall gears. Not the ungodly low 6.38 or what everit is in rockwells.
you dont have to have that ratio, you can get 4.90:1 here http://www.ouversonusa.com/rockwell_490_gearset.php

although that gear set costs as much as one axle.
Dueces is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #20
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_TJ_Wyoming View Post
I am seriously loving that TDI site, a little spendy but the 1.9 TDI is an awesome and very reliable little power plant.
I'm not sure why anyone gets excited about the 1.9 TDI. There's a guy on Pirate that swapped one into a YJ to get "around the same power" as the stock 4.0. He has had massive issues with it as well (on his 2nd motor). The guys he wheels with makes him ride in back because of the smell. Where I am, the 1.9 TDI's go for stupid money. Sure, you can boost the power, but there goes your reliability.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #21
bondosgto
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dueces View Post
you dont have to have that ratio, you can get 4.90:1 here http://www.ouversonusa.com/rockwell_490_gearset.php

although that gear set costs as much as one axle.
And a top speed of 30 if you want any decent mog.
bondosgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:30 AM   #22
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

To each his own....

I have swapped a TBI chevy 350 into a YJ, a 5.3 into a YJ, and an all aluminum 5.3 into a JK, but I would take my 4BT YJ over any of them in a heartbeat.

in my opinion, the TDI is non-sense, why go through all that work/money to get the same performance, and it is not like TDI Jettas have ever been anything to write home about as far as performance/mileage/reliability.

Yes, it is noisy, vibrations are not bad though IMHO, but I am a diesel guy, I love noise, smoke and the feel of a turbo spooling under my foot.

Also, I dont understand why everyone thinks the 4BT is so much more complicated and hard to adapt, I wish I could punch this myth in the face!

This engine literally requires 1 wire to run, fuel on, fuel off, and you are done.

Also, I do not understand why everyone messes with all kinds of adapters, transmissions, clutches, blah blah.... get yourself a wrecked dodge ram 2500cummins w an NV4500, the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, bellhousing, trans everything bolts right to the 4BT, I even used the dodge ram clutch master cylinder.

I will agree with the fact that the swap will usually cost more than a SBC 350 swap, mainy due to the cost of the engine, but while doing your research (and do tons of research), trust the opinons of people who have actually done this swap because there are SOOOO many myths around it that it drives me crazy.

Check out my build

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...-pics-1275843/

Ask me about my 4BT Cummins Motor Mounts!!
youngjeeper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #23
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngjeeper11 View Post
To each his own....

I have swapped a TBI chevy 350 into a YJ, a 5.3 into a YJ, and an all aluminum 5.3 into a JK, but I would take my 4BT YJ over any of them in a heartbeat.

in my opinion, the TDI is non-sense, why go through all that work/money to get the same performance, and it is not like TDI Jettas have ever been anything to write home about as far as performance/mileage/reliability.

Yes, it is noisy, vibrations are not bad though IMHO, but I am a diesel guy, I love noise, smoke and the feel of a turbo spooling under my foot.

Also, I dont understand why everyone thinks the 4BT is so much more complicated and hard to adapt, I wish I could punch this myth in the face!

This engine literally requires 1 wire to run, fuel on, fuel off, and you are done.

Also, I do not understand why everyone messes with all kinds of adapters, transmissions, clutches, blah blah.... get yourself a wrecked dodge ram 2500cummins w an NV4500, the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, bellhousing, trans everything bolts right to the 4BT, I even used the dodge ram clutch master cylinder.

I will agree with the fact that the swap will usually cost more than a SBC 350 swap, mainy due to the cost of the engine, but while doing your research (and do tons of research), trust the opinons of people who have actually done this swap because there are SOOOO many myths around it that it drives me crazy.

Check out my build

Agreed with this. Like I said earlier biggest issue is the weight.

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #24
clintrivera
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Not only that, fitting a NV4500 in a TJ isn't a very fun task.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...ed-lj-1741722/
clintrivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #25
DirtRider1357
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Has anyone seen a write up for doing a 4bt/nv4500 swap in an lj?
DirtRider1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #26
jeepn4life92
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
To each his own....

Check out my build

This would make sense if all those parts are readily available. But finding a 4bt around me is very diffucult....anything with an nv4500 charges a premium price because of the strength and reliability of it, and they're big transmissions so a wheelbase stretch or a small lift are required to make it work which adds extra work on top of the cost issue of finding an engine and transmission. The vw tdi get amazing mileage, my mom had an early vw turbo diesel beatle and it got 45 mpg and the engine was realiable as hell compared to the 1001 stupid other issues with the car. They are everywhere in my area and the link posted earlier makes it possible to re-use the rest of the parts off your own jeep....
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #27
sduncan
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

TJ or LJ makes no difference. See the link below.

http://www.vnutz.com/articles/Cummin...sel_Conversion

I guess I'm weird...I just can't see the benefit of an 800+lb motor hanging off the front of a TJ/LJ.....I'll take my V8 anyday...
'98 TJ, 5.7 HEMI, 545RFE, G2 33 spl. D44, HP D30,ARBs,4.10s, RE 4.5 LA,Savvy 1.25 BL,35in MTRs w/Pro Comp 15x10 alloys, Warn 9.5 cti w/Amsteel rope, Gen Rite G3 Alumium front fenders and rear flares, Premier Power welder 195 amp,Savvy Rockers,Prothane bumps,LED tail lites, Rampage top
Link to my Hemi build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/so...rsion-1277803/
YouTube video..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaDRq...&feature=g-upl
sduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #28
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepn4life92 View Post
This would make sense if all those parts are readily available. But finding a 4bt around me is very diffucult....anything with an nv4500 charges a premium price because of the strength and reliability of it, and they're big transmissions so a wheelbase stretch or a small lift are required to make it work which adds extra work on top of the cost issue of finding an engine and transmission. The vw tdi get amazing mileage, my mom had an early vw turbo diesel beatle and it got 45 mpg and the engine was realiable as hell compared to the 1001 stupid other issues with the car. They are everywhere in my area and the link posted earlier makes it possible to re-use the rest of the parts off your own jeep....
Again, killing me with the assumtions/myths, the NV 4500 is not all that long, I did not have to stretch my wheebase, actually my transfer case ended up so close to the stock position that I was able to use the front driveshaft untouched......

Also, many bread truck 4BTs came mated to Chevy SM465s, which are also great tranmissions.

I fit the trans w a $100 body lift, so ok, you are correct there, but it could be done without a body lift, it was just the easiest way in my eyes.

I agree the 4BT is expensive/hard to find/heavy, there is no doubt in any of that, but the performace is way beyond a TDI.

That said, if you want to go through a ton of work and money to put a TDI in to get good mileage, and just to say you have a diesel Jeep, to each his own.

if you want to go through a ton of work, and more money to put a 4BT in to get good mileage, and have a torque monster of an engine, to each his own.

I am just saying the only reason I ever consider an engine swap is to gain more power than I will ever need, because it is more fun.

Unread 06-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #29
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Again, killing me with the assumtions/myths, the NV 4500 is not all that long, I did not have to stretch my wheebase, actually my transfer case ended up so close to the stock position that I was able to use the front driveshaft untouched......

Also, many bread truck 4BTs came mated to Chevy SM465s, which are also great tranmissions.

I fit the trans w a $100 body lift, so ok, you are correct there, but it could be done without a body lift, it was just the easiest way in my eyes.

I agree the 4BT is expensive/hard to find/heavy, there is no doubt in any of that, but the performace is way beyond a TDI.

That said, if you want to go through a ton of work and money to put a TDI in to get good mileage, and just to say you have a diesel Jeep, to each his own.
I think you're making just as many assumptions about the TDI swap that people are making about the 4bt swap...

Quote:
if you want to go through a ton of work, and more money to put a 4BT in to get good mileage, and have a torque monster of an engine, to each his own.

I am just saying the only reason I ever consider an engine swap is to gain more power than I will ever need, because it is more fun.
This is where you'll find the differences, as crazy as it sounds, not everyone wants a power monster that can do 0-60 sub 5 seconds. Sure it sounds cool, and is probably fun, but I can find coolness in other things.

The TDI swap doesn't seem all that expensive to me, once you add up the cost of the HPA components, it's going to come down to whether or not you can find a good deal on an engine. I don't think it's unreasonable to think you could do the TDI swap using the HPA stuff with the intercooler upgrade and tune, for 5-6k. For that you have a motor that will do anything the 4.0 could do but better, lighter than the 2.5L (people are after all willing to spend lots more money for aluminum armor to save weight, why can't the same be said for an engine?), and better gas milage (which does nothing but bring the long term cost of the swap down).

I've considered a lot of options for when my 4.0 dies or I just have the money to do something else. Now that it looks like HPA is selling their components separately and not charging the ridiculous 15k or so for everything and an engine, I would seriously consider this swap.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #30
youngjeeper11

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
This is where you'll find the differences, as crazy as it sounds, not everyone wants a power monster that can do 0-60 sub 5 seconds. Sure it sounds cool, and is probably fun, but I can find coolness in other things.
Point taken, and maybe I am making assumptions about a TDI, I am just biased I supposed haha.

Exactly, to each his own, for me, all I ever wanted in my YJ was to slam gears, go fast, and tear up trails, but a lot of that is because I am still young and dumb haha

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.