Crossmember / transmission mount advise please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Crossmember / transmission mount advise please

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
SC-TJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Crossmember / transmission mount advise please

I wanted to install a Novak shifter and paint my crossmember .... Removed the crossmember (without supporting the transmission ) and saw the original transmission mount had completely dry-rotted. I ordered an after market transmission mount. Time lapse 1 month till I had time to put the jeep back together. As I put the crossmember back in place, with the transmission mount bolts passing through the crossmember - the entire crossmember now does not line up with the holes in the frame. It is off about an inch toward the passenger side. I assume 1 of 2 things are causing this: either the transmission shifted over an inch when it was not being supported, or the bolt positions for the new transmission mount are not the same as the original. Actually, it is hard for me to believe either of the 2 are possible, but I don't see any other reason for this misalignment.

The transmission mount is securely bolted to the underside of the t/c..... Would it be ok to cut off the transmission mount studs that pass through the crossmember? .... Just so I can get the crossmember to align with the frame?

Any input would be appreciated.

SC-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

When the transmission dropped down it didn't drop straight down. Move the transmission back to where everything lines up. Don't cut anything.
Unread 01-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
SC-TJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

These are the 4 bolts I have considered cutting off. They don't seem to serve any purpose.

image-1769428739.jpg
Unread 01-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
EGLESCT
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-TJ
These are the 4 bolts I have considered cutting off. They don't seem to serve any purpose.
Those bolts actually serve a very important purpose. They bolt the transmission mount to the transmission skid-plate. With out those attached, your transmission will bounce up and down every bump you hit

2003 TJ 4.0L 5speed 30/35

Black Magic Brake Upgrade
160 Amp Durango Alternator Upgrade
EGLESCT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
Wordgie
1999 TJ Wrangler 

They do serve a purpose. They hold the rubber mount to skid plate.

The plate supports the transmission and T-Case, so when it went unsupported, gravity took over. That amount of time can cause more issues.
Wordgie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
SC-TJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I always hesitate to have to "force" something back into place......
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-TJ View Post
You could ask it nicely to move over. When that doesn't work, get a bar or 2x4 and ask it again.
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #8
CharlieHo
Get Savvy

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
You could ask it nicely to move over. When that doesn't work, get a bar or 2x4 and ask it again.
CharlieHo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
oalali
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #10
ssquier92
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Then you should also have hesitated to let all the weight of the TC transmission and motor hanging back to all be relying on your motor mounts and probably some wiring harnesses for that time. Move it back over, do not cut anything.
2002 TJ 3.25" RC lift, 1.25 BL, MML, 33X12.50 Goodyear MTR w/ Kevlar, adjustable front trac bar, cut stock bumper, poison hood louver, B&M short shifter, chromoly rear axle shafts in the d44 4.88s Grizzly locker, Aussie locker up front in d30,10,500lb winch w/ synthetic rope, antirock, jcr sliders, savvy arms

Work harder, thousands of people on welfare are counting on you.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ssquier92s-02-tj-build-thread-1142141/index4.html"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ssquier92s-02-tj-build-thread-1142141/index4.html[/URL]
ssquier92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #11
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

New sig
Randonexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #12
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You let 400 lbs of transmission, bellhousing, and t-case force it out of place and temporarily deform the motor mounts, it won't hurt a thing to sweet talk it back into place with a bit of force.

The trick to that is jack the skid up and line it up on the 4 small studs in the mount, start the nuts on them and then work the whole mess into place on the frame bolts.
Unread 01-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #13
SC-TJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Everything is back together and working good. Piece of cake.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.