Cross over steering! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cross over steering!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 03-23-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
loaderopp
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Cross over steering!

I have been looking into doing a cross over steering, And while i am at it doing the tie rod flip, at the same time. getting those ball joint up and out of the way.

I am not into rock crawling But i enjoy some heavy duty trail running. I have seen some heavy duty cross overs. and got to thinking about it. Any thoughts out there from the guys that Done this mod, or thinking about it.
I have a 05 unlimited Rubicon on 35's. And was looking at the tooth pick size steering set up.

2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 5.5 inch custom long arm, 1 inch daystar body lift, River Raider Snorkel, Custom bumper/winch mount, sliders, tire carrier. 37x13.50 R17 Nitto Mudgraplers, Bushwacker flat fender. Custom 1/2 cab. Hyline hood vents. Custom tonnue cover and tool box. HID-X off road lights, LED driving lights custom rear bumper/m6000 rear monted winch.
loaderopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
Dukes69

How much money would you like to spend?
AIM: Dukes69

Ya Savvy?
Dukes69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
loaderopp
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukes69 View Post
How much money would you like to spend?
Money is not the issue. I like to do things once the right way. I have learned over the years that half steps cost double in the end!
2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 5.5 inch custom long arm, 1 inch daystar body lift, River Raider Snorkel, Custom bumper/winch mount, sliders, tire carrier. 37x13.50 R17 Nitto Mudgraplers, Bushwacker flat fender. Custom 1/2 cab. Hyline hood vents. Custom tonnue cover and tool box. HID-X off road lights, LED driving lights custom rear bumper/m6000 rear monted winch.
Unread 03-23-2010, 10:56 PM   #4
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsquirt View Post
Money is not the issue. I like to do things once the right way. I have learned over the years that half steps cost double in the end!
then drive down to California for a vacation and hand the keys to mrblaine. He'll fix you up with cross-over steering that works.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ot...ie-rod-975012/
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 11:06 PM   #5
loaderopp
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Lol That would float over like lead ball with the wife. Honey going to California, to get some parts for the jeep.
Unread 03-23-2010, 11:06 PM   #6
fang_x
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i just installed this after bending up my stock one...

so far so good, have yet to test it offroad though. but on road it feels about the same as my old stock one, except this is much beefier

its pretty easy to install yourself and not too costly

Baseline 4x4 18050.82, Rugged Ridge Heavy Duty Crossover Steering Conversion Kit, 84-01 XJ Cherokee, 94-98 ZJ Grand Cherokee with 6 Cylinder, and 97-06 TJ Wrangler, Tie Rods and Drag Links
fang_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2010, 11:08 PM   #7
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Honey going to California, to get some parts for the jeep.
no, no, no...You're supposed to bring the wife along to California on vacation, rent a nice convertible, let her lay on the beach, eat good food, point and laugh at hippies, etc...while the Jeep is going under the knife.
Unread 03-23-2010, 11:09 PM   #8
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

are you looking for cross over steering or over the knuckle steering?

OTK steering:
get a right hand drive drag link from the dealer. then use with a stock tie rod, both over the knuckle.
Unread 03-23-2010, 11:19 PM   #9
loaderopp
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post
are you looking for cross over steering or over the knuckle steering?

OTK steering:
get a right hand drive drag link from the dealer. then use with a stock tie rod, both over the knuckle.
I seen a episode on extreme where they move the tierod ends up top. and did a crossover.
Unread 03-23-2010, 11:21 PM   #10
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I seen a episode on extreme where they move the tierod ends up top. and did a crossover.
you SAW AN episode.

i dont think there is enough room on the stock knuckles for two TRE mounting holes.

its one or the other. but then again, i didnt see the episode.
Unread 03-23-2010, 11:30 PM   #11
loaderopp
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
no, no, no...You're supposed to bring the wife along to California on vacation, rent a nice convertible, let her lay on the beach, eat good food, point and laugh at hippies, etc...while the Jeep is going under the knife.
AWWWW i see the light. keep her busy so she does not notice.

I did the lift, and got some dirty looks, then the body lift and got more dirty looks. But all H$ll broke lose when i did the move from stock tires to the 35's. And it's not what your thinking ( the money) spent. But she stands at 4'10, was how tall the jeep was getting and how short she is. lol. So i made some rock sliders/step and got her a handle to grab.

We would love to make a trip south but our holidays are planed out for this year. And broken down to a couple 3 day weekend wheeling trips. this summer and fall. and a few days at Xmas
Unread 03-24-2010, 06:17 AM   #12
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ohhh the tie-rod flip is what you're talking about. thats not cross-over steering....thats a tie-rod flip.

this is cross-over steering:

Left hand drive Cross-over steering goes like this: draglink from pitman arm to passenger side knuckle, tie-rod goes knuckle to knuckle.

The Tie-Rod flip still uses the Inverted-Y steering, but flips drivers side tie-rod to the top of the knuckle by making a new taper.

As you can see in the photos, the sway bar link mount must be relocated.

Write-up: Another TJ tie rod flip - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

You can flip the draglink too, but that introduces some track-bar issues I'm sure mudb8 or mrblaine can elaborate more on.
Unread 03-24-2010, 06:53 AM   #13
TNeustadt
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just ordered a setup from these guys....Welcome to the Genuine Bullet Proof Steering System Solution! Check it out...
TNeustadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2010, 08:41 AM   #14
loaderopp
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
ohhh the tie-rod flip is what you're talking about. thats not cross-over steering....thats a tie-rod flip.

this is cross-over steering:

Left hand drive Cross-over steering goes like this: draglink from pitman arm to passenger side knuckle, tie-rod goes knuckle to knuckle.

The Tie-Rod flip still uses the Inverted-Y steering, but flips drivers side tie-rod to the top of the knuckle by making a new taper.

As you can see in the photos, the sway bar link mount must be relocated.

Write-up: Another TJ tie rod flip - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

You can flip the draglink too, but that introduces some track-bar issues I'm sure mudb8 or mrblaine can elaborate more on.
Thats what i am looking for, I knew some of you fella's must have messed with it.
Unread 03-24-2010, 08:51 AM   #15
Painbow6
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I also have the rugged ridge setup that was mentioned earlier cuz I bent my tie rod into a half circle and it's pretty dang awesome, totally erased my DW problems that I had with the stock setup. I've beat the crap out of the thing and it holds up pretty well. Pretty cheap too.

Although, if money isn't an issue (I'm sure Mr Blaine will agree) you should probably get the Currie setup. I know with mine, the steering isn't quite as tight as it was with the inverted Y setup.

If you are just looked for increased tie rod strength though, you could look into the V8 ZJ(?) tie rod swap. I'm sure someone else will know more about that

2004 LJ- 35's and stuff
1978 Land Rover Series III- Winston, you will be sorely missed.
Painbow6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.