Crazy shake from the road - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Crazy shake from the road

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-02-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
hardcoreskimmer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Crazy shake from the road

O.k. so I have looked this up in the Forum and I have a few ideas what it could be but I figured I would start a thread anyways. The main reason why I started a new thread because the shake I get is enough to shake a martini. It is crazy, I was driving on I-4 a couple weeks ago and I switched lanes going about 70 mph and I think there was a bump and the whole jeep started shaking violently, including the steering wheel. Pulled over keep shaking until I came to a complete stop, I got out looked all around, didn't see anything out of place or anything like that. So got back in kept driving, also scared me enough to put on my seatbelt. So a week later I was driving I was going about 50mph hit a bump same thing happen, next day same spot, same speed, happen again. Then yesterday it happen once again except this time my buddy was driving behind me and he said my driver side rear wheel was jerking around but he didnt thing to look at the passenger side rear wheel. I checked the outside of the axle everything looks in order, with the exception of my pinion bearing going, any ideas what it could be? If you got any questions I will try to answer them. Need to fix asap its my dd

Unread 02-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
RockMonster
1998 TJ Wrangler 

its death wobble or the start there of, search it.. it plagues us all... haha check the track bar (axle side) for ANY play) unfortunately it cant be traced back to one thing in allot of cases.
Unread 02-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
hardcoreskimmer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

well yeah its death wobble, that's obvious but i was trying to narrow it down a bit, trac bar is fine, also i believe most people get death wobble from the front, but mine is in the rear.

so it does it only 50mph and above and it needs a bump to jump start it. any thoughts?
Unread 02-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Loose or worn out components. Your gonna have to get under there and check everything...ya can't just look at it you gotta grab, shake, and move things around to find the loose/worn components.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
hardcoreskimmer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

yep yep did that with everything that connects to the rear axle and checked all the welds as well, and everything looked fine, could it be an axle bearing perhaps?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.