Crankshaft Position Sensor or Camshaft Position Sensor? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Crankshaft Position Sensor or Camshaft Position Sensor?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-26-2005, 09:57 AM   #1
TennesseeTJ

Crankshaft Position Sensor or Camshaft Position Sensor?

Hey all...

My 98 TJ 4.0 with manual trans has been experiencing random loss of power for a year. It sputters, rpms plummet, it sometimes catches itself before it completely dies, other times it shuts down totally. Occasionally it is difficult to restart. This occurs totally randomly, on accelleration, idle, highway speed, whenever.

Yesterday, it FINALLY gave me a diagnostic code:
P1391 - Camshaft Or Crankshaft Position Sensor Intermittent Loss
From the symptoms, that sounds corrent. But which should I replace? Is one or the other known to be trouble on these Jeeps? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

-Erik

TennesseeTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2005, 09:59 AM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The crankshaft position sensor is noted for more problems than the camshaft position sensor is.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2005, 10:27 AM   #3
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

x2 for sure
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2005, 11:02 AM   #4
joeyt17
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My crankshaft position sensor went out and caused the same problems as you are currently getting. I didn't even get an engine code for it until several days after all the problems started occuring.

changed it out and no problems since
joeyt17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2005, 06:12 AM   #5
James D. McGinn

I changed both the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors on my 98 TJ with 2.5 and 5 speed, and the cel is still on, and it still reads code 1391, even though i have zeroed out the codes several times; however, the engine does run well. Anyone give me any ideas? thank you.
James D. McGinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2005, 08:31 PM   #6
JV96XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by James D. McGinn
I changed both the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors on my 98 TJ with 2.5 and 5 speed, and the cel is still on, and it still reads code 1391, even though i have zeroed out the codes several times; however, the engine does run well. Anyone give me any ideas? thank you.

I have the same situation on my '96 XJ. Replaced both sensors, and the CEL still comes on....Have you resolved your probelm?
287-hp VQ35DE -3.5L DOHC 24-valve V6 w/6 spd manual
JV96XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2005, 06:58 AM   #7
Scott_98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well they both talk to the PCM so that's an obvious common link. They also share some wiring on the sensor return and feed from the ignition cicuits. With a wiring diagram you could check all the connections fairly easily.

Kentucky Krawlers
Scott_98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2005, 07:30 AM   #8
LadyJeep

I had the same problem with my 98 auto 4.0L. It finally did die (wouldn't turn over) out in the desert. Ended up being the CPS.

98 Sahara, 4.5" RE longarm and more.
To see more about my jeep go [url="http://www.ladyjeep.com/maggie.htm"]here[/url]
LadyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2005, 09:18 AM   #9
al666

I have the same code on my jeep, been trying to figure it out for 4 months replacing the sensors didnt help could be wireing but im just bringing it to jeep to fix good luck though
al666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2005, 09:33 AM   #10
MCanavan

I had the same problem and replaced the crankshaft sensor but still no luck. I took it to a mechanic and it turns out that it was the oxygen sensor (wasn't giving out a code though).
MCanavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2005, 01:12 PM   #11
98JEEPTJ
2005 WK 

I was told by one of the mechanics that the engine wouldn't run at all if the Drive shaft sensor or the crank position sensor wasn't working. That they don't partially work they work or they don't...They both sense a magnetic field disruption which is sent to the computer to tell it where the cam is or the drive shaft. if there is no disruption at all (failed sensor) then the computer wont start the firing sequence of the injectors...

Anybody absolutely know for sure???
Unread 12-21-2005, 04:43 AM   #12
Scott_98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98JEEPTJ
I was told by one of the mechanics that the engine wouldn't run at all if the Drive shaft sensor or the crank position sensor wasn't working. That they don't partially work they work or they don't...They both sense a magnetic field disruption which is sent to the computer to tell it where the cam is or the drive shaft. if there is no disruption at all (failed sensor) then the computer wont start the firing sequence of the injectors...
Anybody absolutely know for sure???
As a sensor starts going bad, or the connection has high resistance, it can and will cause flaky problems. If it randomly looses signal, you will get stalling, bucking, hesitations etc. rather than and on/off scenario that you get with a good or failed sensor. In a perfect world he's right, but how often does that happen with Jeeps?

Kentucky Krawlers
Scott_98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 10:39 PM   #13
SierraNev
1999 WJ 

Hey ya'll I am having intermittent issues with my Jeep stalling while driving after a few minutes or at idle speed and after warm up. The codes for pcm not getting signal from cps/cpk "crankshaft positioning sensor" came up. So now that I've gotten that far how the heck do you get to the bugger, take the tire and inner tire panel off or drop the trany? I got a chilten with microscopic pic's and a fellow said I would need a pully puller, I think I can handle it with a lil direction. How bout it fellow Jeepers, a brotha could use some help, its our only car right now. 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L
SierraNev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #14
nojeeps

The crank sensor is on the lower passenger side of the engine block under the vehicle. The cam sensor is at the front of the passenger cylinder head on the bottom of the head itself.
nojeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2011, 11:20 AM   #15
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraNev View Post
Hey ya'll I am having intermittent issues with my Jeep stalling while driving after a few minutes or at idle speed and after warm up. The codes for pcm not getting signal from cps/cpk "crankshaft positioning sensor" came up. So now that I've gotten that far how the heck do you get to the bugger, take the tire and inner tire panel off or drop the trany? I got a chilten with microscopic pic's and a fellow said I would need a pully puller, I think I can handle it with a lil direction. How bout it fellow Jeepers, a brotha could use some help, its our only car right now. 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L
This is a TJ forum which deals mostly with 2.5 and 4.0L engines.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.