Crankshaft and Camshaft Position Sensor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Crankshaft and Camshaft Position Sensor

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-29-2004, 07:18 AM   #1
westbrooklawn

Crankshaft and Camshaft Position Sensor

I am getting an error code which indicates intermittent failure of either crankshaft or camshaft postion sensor (1997 tj). I have determined how to change the crankshaft sensor, but don't know where the camshaft sensor is located, or how to change it.

Has anyone done these repairs, and is there anyway to check the sensors to see if they are indeed bad? Best price I can find on crankshaft PS is $120, and I hate to replace it if it is o.k. Thanks.

westbrooklawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2004, 08:13 AM   #2
tjblitz

The factory service manual states both should be checked with a scan tool. A voltmeter can check power at the very least but not tell where the problem is in the circuitry.

"Short wheelbase rigs are the sports cars of the wheeling world and require the best drivers to remain safe." - Jim Allen
tjblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2004, 08:39 AM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The camshaft sensor is located inside the distributor, underneath the plastic plate you'll find if you lift up the distributor cap. What symptoms are you having? $120 for the CPS??? Wow, I think I paid under $80 for mine which I carry as a spare since they are known for going out... eventually that is.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2004, 08:57 AM   #4
westbrooklawn

Guys - thanks for the responses.

Gerry - I plow snow with my Wrangler, and after plowing for an hour or so I start to get a stalling symptom, won't take the gas, surges from around 700 to 2000 rpm, acts like it isn't getting gas, then check engine light comes on. Let it sit turned off for about 10 min. then it starts and runs o.k. again.

It has done this about 5 times over the last 3 days, and now I sense a slight ongoing miss at driving speeds.

The engine code comes back as 12, 11, 11, 55. The 11 being intermitten camshaft or crankshaft sensor.

Yesterday I changed plugs, wires, cap and rotor. The plugs had burned the gap way to high, and needed replacement.

Any additional recommendations?? Any way to test the sensors? And where can I get the CPS for less? The $120 price was at autozone.

Thanks for additional help.
westbrooklawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2004, 10:15 AM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I bought my CPS from the dealer but then I always get good pricing from the dealer's parts department staff. I have a carefully cultivated friends-type relationship with the guys behind the parts counter so I can twist their collective arms. If you ask for a "better cash price" maybe they'll sell it for a more reasonable price... but ya gotta ask.

I wish I even had a gut feeling for whether the problem is the crankshaft or camshaft position sensor but I don't. The camshaft position sensor will be a lot easier to change, that is for sure. But then the crankshaft position sensor is the one that is really exposed to the elements... if I were to make a WAG (wild-a$$ guess), I'd probably lean towards the crankshaft position sensor as the culprit... but that's just a WAG.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.