Crankshaft/Camshaft Pick-up Plate FIXED, PLEASE READ. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Crankshaft/Camshaft Pick-up Plate FIXED, PLEASE READ.

Black Friday Sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
jasonamorris
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Crankshaft/Camshaft Pick-up Plate FIXED, PLEASE READ.

I wanted to post this for anyone else who is or had the same problems I had today, which turned into an all day problem that involved fixing the jeep on the side of the road and mulitple trips to the auto parts store.

I'm not an expert so this infomation my be pointless to some but for people on my level of expertise, it might save them a headache and allow for a nice sunny day crusing around in your jeep like I had planned.

I'm going to cut to the chase and just put the info out there...

My jeep was pulling codes 12,11,54,55 after it stalled Sat afternoon.

11- Crankshaft Sensor

54- Camshaft sensor

I got it home and cleaned all the connectors and tighen everything I could. It started right up and ran beautifully without any codes.

The next morning I took it out and within 10 miles it stalled again. At this point I was only getting 12,54,55 codes.

I had a lot of misunderstanding with the crankshaft and camshaft and as a result I replaced the crankshaft and also bought come connector wiring cleaner and cleaned all the connectors again. I replaced the crankshaft sensor hoping that would fix my problems even though i felt like it was the camshaft sensor but any part store I called said they didnt even have the part in stock and/or I would have to go directly to the dealer, so i took a gamble. I finally figured out what the Camshaft sensor was as before I was not sure and couldnt find any direct answers. I took the camshaft sensor apart and cleaned everything very well. It started right up. I drove around and was good to go, until 10 mins into it, the jeep died again. I thought it was the crankshaft but it wasnt. So I took apart the camshaft senor and cleaned again, It started right up again, then died again. I notcied that everytime I would clean the part, it would run for a few mins then die. I finnaly called the dealer parts dept. He said they call the part a distributor switch plate but had to special order. I called a local parts place and after telling them what I needed, they called it a Pick-Up plate.

I replaced the part for 41.99 and the jeep runs perfect.

I guess I'm just trying to throw out the other terms for this part because if I had known, It could have saved me an 80 dollar crankshaft sensor and 10 hours of my day.

I attached a picture for those who would like to actually see the part.

If you remove the distributor cap, remove the rotor, then left up the plate that sits between the cap and base. Thats it. Five min install. Mine didnt look bad but the silver plate had plenty of tarnish on it.

I hope if any of the info is wrong or misleading, please feel free to correct or remove if completely wrong.

Like I said, I'm not an expert so please bare with me, I'm learning a lot!

J

jasonamorris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #2
jasonamorris
2000 XJ Cherokee 

One other quick question... When I replaced the crankshaft sensor I noticed that someone must have lost one of the screws that hold it in with a plain generic screw... Just one of the two... Its in tight but will this be ok or should I try and replace that one screw?
jasonamorris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2010, 08:12 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice writeup, good job on getting that problem resolved. And if that generic screw is holding the crankshaft position sensor ok, I'd leave it. So long as it's not already rusty from being poor quality, a screw is a screw if it fits.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2012, 03:57 AM   #4
SetsChaos
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for posting this. I have been having some problems with my jeep and I kept getting pointed to a camshaft position sensor, but couldn't find one. Even in the FSM, it referred to a camshaft position sensor however when I looked in the parts manual, one was nowhere to be found. I finally stumbled on the distributor switch plate, but couldn't tell if that was the same part. This post confirms what I thought all along. Thanks.
SetsChaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2012, 04:42 AM   #5
clarkja
2005 LJ Wrangler 

We used to have a 94 cherokee that would die while we were driving down the road at random times. It ran perfectly fine other than that. After finding the code from the computer (don't remember what it was), I was able to pin the problem down to that same part. It's been many years so I can't remember where I got it from but I ordered it online. It's like a 5 minute job and it was running perfect again. I had almost forgotten about that until I saw this post.
Unread 02-06-2012, 05:49 AM   #6
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I came across some body in the past who was looking for a new cam position sensor and had the same problem not being able to find it. I had nothing better to do at the time so I went through a few US auto parts store sites and found their descriptions, which I listed in the thread. They can also be called ignition pickup too.

Edit here's the post I made. Links updated so they work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Jeep

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2012, 06:37 AM   #7
j_niko
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Rockauto calls it a 'Distributor Ignition Pickup'
Unread 02-06-2012, 06:56 AM   #8
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It is great to get the different terminology on this. I have ran into this issue with other parts where it has different names at different places. Thanks for the information.

Tags
crankshaft , camshaft , write-up , write up , pick up plate , fix , code

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.