cranked while engine is running=BAD! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > cranked while engine is running=BAD!

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-20-2014, 09:05 AM   #1
DPForumDog

cranked while engine is running=BAD!

I got back in the jeep and forgot I had left it running. I tried to crank our 99 sport and it was already cranked. Of course it only took me a millisecond to realize it, but it was too late. I cant remember if I heard that sound and I was beside a loud backhoe so I probably wouldn't have heard it.

Now nothing happens. It wont crank, the gauges don't move, the lights don't come on. Is it a fuse? If so what fuse? My Husband checked the little fuses and they all appear good. He doesn't know how to check the fuse for the starter.

My husband asked me how itstopped? He was trying to determine if it just cut off on its on or did turn it back with the ignition. But I don't remember exactly. My husband asked me if it made that noise but I was by a loud backhoe .

What will happen if the engine is running and the ignition key is turned?

I have seen many people do this before with no repercussions. I have done it in my Ford before with no problem I don't know what happened?

Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks
Granny DP

DPForumDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 09:59 AM   #2
Jeepsr4me

hit the starter with hammer... may be stuck
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #3
goodwrenchdave
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPForumDog View Post
It wont crank, the gauges don't move, the lights don't come on. Is it a fuse? If so what fuse? My Husband checked the little fuses and they all appear good. He doesn't know how to check the fuse for the starter.

Thanks
Granny DP
Don't hit the starter! the lights not coming on and no guage movement points to a different problem.
Do you have BRIGHT headlamps? domelight? or all dead?
check your battery connections and battery state of charge (voltage); should be above 12v . ideally 12.6 for fully charged battery.
this just sounds like you may have a fully discharged or disconnected battery at the moment. if you don't have any testlamp or voltmeter/multimeter to check- then just boost with another vehicle or connect a charger.
goodwrenchdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #4
Jeepsr4me

Yes hit it... The solenoid can get stuck in between where it suppose to be. And that causes the power to be like you describe.
Since you bound up the starter recranking it.. That is why I say that is the issue.
Unread 07-20-2014, 12:09 PM   #5
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

When the armature bushings get worn the armature can become out of alignment. When tapping (not pounding!!) it can free the armature and the car will start if this is the issue. Tap the starter and have someone turn the key and see if it starts. Not rocket science
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 01:04 PM   #6
DPForumDog

Wow I came back to this post and was delighted to see all the help.

My husband has already check the voltage and got 12.1 on the posts but only 9.3 on the cable connection He said that should be the same.
He had already tried to jump the starter. He told me he had put screws drivers across the engine.(or something like that)

Now I am going to go tell him to hit (gently tap) the starter.
Thanks Y;all!
I will keep you posted!
Blessings,
DP
Unread 07-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #7
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

If there is 12 volts on the battery posts and 9 volts at the battery clamps the problem may be the clamps. Take the clamps off and clean the inside of them and the posts and see what happens. If the cables are bolted to the clamps take them apart and clean there, too.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 01:19 PM   #8
Jeepsr4me

JC people all this happened as a result of a OOPS... So only thing that oops could have changed is the throw of the solenoid. Battery was fine before and cables all fine. Maybe marginal but fine.
And yes tap it of hit it lightly, again for those that lack common sense enough to know not to hit it VERY hard. Its a electrical component.

Golden jeep explained it in more detail.. Sometimes explaining it to folks goes way over head. So hit softly is all they need to know.
Unread 07-20-2014, 01:27 PM   #9
DPForumDog

My husband was in the midst of cleaning the connections when I went to tell him to gently tap the starter. He never even had to try to strike the starter because cleaning the connections worked.

I told my husband " SO IT WASN'T SOMETHING I DID!!!! "I was hoping he would say it was just a coincidence. He replied " you probably put UNDO pressure on the starter.... blah blah etc etc"

We don't drive it much, just a few minutes each weekend on our farm. He keeps battery tenders on our backhoe and trackloader. I wonder if we should keep a battery tender on it.

Thanks everyone!
Unread 07-20-2014, 01:33 PM   #10
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
JC people all this happened as a result of a OOPS... So only thing that oops could have changed is the throw of the solenoid. Battery was fine before and cables all fine. Maybe marginal but fine.
And yes tap it of hit it lightly, again for those that lack common sense enough to know not to hit it VERY hard. Its a electrical component.

Golden jeep explained it in more detail.. Sometimes explaining it to folks goes way over head. So hit softly is all they need to know.
So much for it being an oops. Chill out dude. Suggestions are always welcome, getting bent because someone doesn't take your idea as the gospel of truth isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPForumDog View Post
My husband was in the midst of cleaning the connections when I went to tell him to gently tap the starter. He never even had to try to strike the starter because cleaning the connections worked.

I told my husband " SO IT WASN'T SOMETHING I DID!!!! "I was hoping he would say it was just a coincidence. He replied " you probably put UNDO pressure on the starter.... blah blah etc etc"

We don't drive it much, just a few minutes each weekend on our farm. He keeps battery tenders on our backhoe and trackloader. I wonder if we should keep a battery tender on it.

Thanks everyone!
Glad to hear you got it sorted out and it was an easy fix.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.