Cracked Windshield (can I fix it?) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cracked Windshield (can I fix it?)

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 05-02-2005, 12:32 PM   #1
VonTed

Cracked Windshield (can I fix it?)

We have a '03 Wrangler and the windshield is very badly cracked (rock magnet it seems ) and I was curious about replacing it myself if it was cost effective and simple.

Is this a do-able fix, or am I just asking for trouble?

edit:
Also I see a very wide price difference for replacement windshields. What are the differences between glasses?

VonTed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2005, 12:49 PM   #2
onlyone
2014 JK Wrangler 

Some people have done it themselves but I dont think for me it would be worth it, I beleive that you can get one installed for under $250. Mine has been replaced twice and I need a new one again.
Unread 05-02-2005, 12:56 PM   #3
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The newer windshields are put in with urathane, not like the old ones that just had a rubber gasket. I just had mine replaced. It was cut out with an air saw, glass everywhere, the installer said it could be taken out by two people with a piece of piano wire, but its a lot of work. Don't think I'd want to try it. They laid a cloth over the dash to protect it from all the glass.
JFM626 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2005, 01:25 PM   #4
ncb76
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've never had to have mine cut out. I think I've probably had five or six windshields since I've owned it. The installer uses the wire tool. It's never taken more than five minutes to remove. Anyway, It's probably cheaper to just have someone stop by and replace it. Check around for prices, though. I pay around $130 for the new glass and installation. And they come to you.

'97 TJ Sport | 2" Spacer Lift | JKS Disconnects | RS 5000's | 32x11.5 ProComp MT's on MT Classic II's
ncb76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2005, 01:49 PM   #5
BillArf

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonTed
We have a '03 Wrangler and the windshield is very badly cracked (rock magnet it seems ) and I was curious about replacing it myself if it was cost effective and simple.

Is this a do-able fix, or am I just asking for trouble?

edit:
Also I see a very wide price difference for replacement windshields. What are the differences between glasses?
Would make sense that someone with a fairly new vehicle would had insurance to cover glass damage. In todays day and age with high window glass prices, not having window glass insurance is a big mistake. Such glass coverage is only a few $ each billing period. Anyway, If you have glass coverage it usually has no deductible and if you need to have glass repair/replacement it does not effect your insurance rates. Suggest you check your insurance coverage!
BillArf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2005, 01:51 PM   #6
Rommel
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Most insurance companies have a special lower deductable for windshield damage. I would check with them first and see what the economics works out too.

-Romm
Unread 05-02-2005, 02:01 PM   #7
hoosier724
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm an insurance agent and most companies will charge you your deductible. If the crack is less than the length of a dollar bill it may be able to be fixed. That is if it's not in the drivers field of vision.

Honk if you love Jesus...text while driving if you want to meet him!
hoosier724 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2005, 02:16 PM   #8
BillArf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier724
I'm an insurance agent and most companies will charge you your deductible. If the crack is less than the length of a dollar bill it may be able to be fixed. That is if it's not in the drivers field of vision.
Well, I know my insurance and others do not charge deductible on window glass repair. Indeed a few will want you to pay a deductible. This would be something I would keep in mind when looking for auto insurance.
Unread 05-02-2005, 02:17 PM   #9
halfmoonclip
2004 TJ Wrangler 

As noted, 100% comprehensive adds almost nothing to your insurance bill, and solves the broken windshield problem.
The 'tractive material' they spread on the roads in Westsylvania wintertime is more like fine gravel; one winter we broke every windshield in the house.
Moon
'07 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD-da kid's ride
Goodbye Old Blue XJ; 10+yrs, 100K+ miles; virtually trouble free; Long may you run!
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2005, 02:31 PM   #10
mtigg21

The Insurance Windshield Coverage is worth it.. I have replaced my windshield once already and I've heard plenty of Wrangler Owners tell me that they have replaced there windshields several times. 90% of Insurance companies waive the deductable and it costs a couple dollars a month more to add it.. Well worth it if you own a jeep!!
mtigg21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2005, 04:51 PM   #11
Viking

Replaced mine two weeks ago - wouldn't do it again

I ordered the new glass and new outer trim piece from Quadratec and set to replacing my own two weekends ago. Mine is a '97 and the windshield was held in by this gooey strip of black urethane stuff (don't remember the name but I was able to buy it off the shelf at Murray's, about 3/8" thick roll). I used a box-cutter style knife to cut the front trim off and work my way around the windshield. Ended up putting a few cosmetic slices in the inside rubber trim by accident. After 2 hours of climbing all over the jeep to get leverage and a few blisters I was able to get the windshield out with no breakage or spraying of glass - just one big piece.

Cleaned up the old seal/goo, touched up a few rusty spots and some of the scrapes I put into the paint, and then put the new black roll of windshield mounting stuff onto the window frame. Placed the windshield in place, pressed carefully around the perimeter, pushed in the new outer trim and everything looked good. Water test passed and so far it hasn't fallen back out

Now, would I do it again - nope, only saved a few dollars and cost myself half of a Saturday. You're year may have a different way of mounting the windshield - they had lots of different stuff at the parts store.

Viking
31" Tires, 3.73 Gears
Rock Hard rear bar mounted low behind
rear seat for urban defense of my kids
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2005, 09:22 PM   #12
speedfreak

All YJ and TJ jeeps should be installed in Urethane. The "roll" of buytle tape will not hold your window in. The window will slide down after the glass gets hot from the summer sun. If your window was installed with buytle tape by a glass company the tape was back filled with urethane to keep this from happening.

I would not advise trying to change it yourself. I have been installing windows for 15 years and if you havn't done it before then it can ba a pain. I see this all the time people try it and then bring it to us to fix. If a glass company has to remove a window to reset it on urethane there is "no responsibilty" on the glass most of the time it doesn't break but that is still still a costly procedure. We charge $75 to reinstall your window but if you buy the glass from us the install is $30.

The best way is to ask your insurance company who they would use to have there window replaced. Some insurance agants send people to the cheapest place but have us put there own windows in. Cheap is not always better like the guy who has glass all over his jeep. NO OFFENCE but that should not happen with a simple job like a jeep. Look for a certified installer and check his work to make sure your happy with it. In the Illinois area call Glass Specialty
speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2005, 06:09 AM   #13
VonTed

Thanks for all the replies, looks like I will pass on this home repair.

Time to pick up the phone!
VonTed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2005, 10:51 AM   #14
wkennedy

Well I just got a crack on the way in this morning. I already had a chip but it was liveable. The crack grew as I drove this morning, so I imagine it will continue until my window is in half.

I called my insurance company "State Farm" and it is 100 deductible. She switched me to full comprehensive for only 19 dollars more a year so next time I won't have to pay the deductible.

So my 100 dollar lesson, buy a Jeep Wrangler, get full comprehensive
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Navy]Blue Jeep Club Member #112[/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=Blue].__[/COLOR]0[COLOR=Blue]_[/COLOR]0[COLOR=Blue]_[/COLOR]0[COLOR=Blue]_[/COLOR]0
[COLOR=Blue][l_,[____],
l---L -[/COLOR]OlllllllO[COLOR=Blue]-[/COLOR]
()_) ()_)---)_)
Patriot Blue 2005 Jeep Wrangler X
6 Speed 4.0 I-6

http://www.kennedykids.net
wkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2005, 03:11 PM   #15
BillArf

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkennedy
Well I just got a crack on the way in this morning. I already had a chip but it was liveable. The crack grew as I drove this morning, so I imagine it will continue until my window is in half.

I called my insurance company "State Farm" and it is 100 deductible. She switched me to full comprehensive for only 19 dollars more a year so next time I won't have to pay the deductible.

So my 100 dollar lesson, buy a Jeep Wrangler, get full comprehensive
Careful !!! I'm quite familar with State Farm Insurance. IF you want full window glass coverage with no deductible you need State Farms separate "window glass coverage" with no deductible. This costs about $15 per year.. I'd double check check with your agent to be 100% sure what you have/are getting in regard to WD coverage. By the way, anyone that does not have 100% window glass coverage with no deductible should really think hard as today the price of windows are very high. The State Farm coverage you want say for $500 deductible comprehensive with no deductible window glass coverage is shown as "Coverage D 500WG Deductible Comprehensive" This means $500 deductible comprehensive and no deductible window glass. IF your State Farm policy does not say this you do not have no deductible window glass coverage.

Last edited by BillArf; 05-12-2005 at 03:31 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.