Cracked Intake Manifold Causing Squeal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cracked Intake Manifold Causing Squeal?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 01-17-2008, 08:44 AM   #1
moerod
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Cracked Intake Manifold Causing Squeal?

So here we go. I'm $450 into this squeal and i just found out that i have a crack in the intake manifold and the sound is coming from directly beneath it along the front. Mechanic is quoting me about $1000 to replace the manifold.

What sucks is that what i spent $450 dollars on other things i could have done myself for about $150. Replace the belt, tensioner, pullley, and clean and replace gasket at throttle body (all things that the mechanic did trying to find the squeal, after doing all this he finally uses his mechanic stethescope and hears the noise directly below the crack in the manifold.)

this is the post i originally had for the squeal

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/high-pitched-squeal-engine-504848/

how hard of a job is this, could i do it myself with some mechanical knowledge and expirience.

Where can i get the manifold for cheap

moerod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 08:47 AM   #2
bigj1974
1999 TJ Wrangler 

1000 is WAY too much for a manifold. find another mechanic.

try the one at the top left of the page. a few here seem to have it and it work for them.
bigj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 08:59 AM   #3
moerod
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj1974
1000 is WAY too much for a manifold. find another mechanic.

try the one at the top left of the page. a few here seem to have it and it work for them.

thats with parts and labor. i can't seem to find the intake manifold anywhere, just the exhaust manifold
Unread 01-17-2008, 09:46 AM   #4
bigj1974
1999 TJ Wrangler 

sorry, we usually talk exhaust manifolds, here, and just glossed over "intake".

I think I need to take a remedial reading course....
bigj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 09:51 AM   #5
moerod
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Help, Anyone Ever Have To Replace Thier Intake Manifold, Can't Find One Anywhere Online. How Hard Is It To Replace If You Have.
Unread 01-17-2008, 10:04 AM   #6
Jerky bump
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Don't be intimidated if you are handy, have an array of good tools and a whole weekend. Read a good manual and decide for yourself if you can handle it. I did one before (I forget what motor) biggest worry is getting the whole thing flat-(it may require machining) and being able to hold the thing in the air- it's best to have a shop crane to help.
Have you tried a recycler for one? Sometimes you can grab the whole thing-swap them out.
Jerky bump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 10:26 AM   #7
jeepmudgirl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

hmm...i wonder if mine is cracked then. i have the same issue of the high pitched whistling. i changed the gasket in my tb and that did nothing. my mechanic said it was probably the gasket in from my intake manifold. i have not had mine replaced yet....don't have the cash for it yet.
All Girl Jeep Club Member #4
White Jeep Club Member #24
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport - Stock..for now
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport - 4" lift with 33's
8.8, AtoZ rocker guards,Rockhard cage add on....etc.
jeepmudgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 10:40 AM   #8
tj120
2001 TJ Wrangler 

thats nuts! i could probably change your whole engine for $1000. to bad my garage is way over in western pa. if he has to use a scope to hear it how can he see the crack. is it obvious or just guessing? maybe its just the gasket. that intake is easy to change, all the wire conections are shaped different so you cant put them back wrong and theres only 4 vacume lines that i see. thats good money for about 2 hours work for a good mechanic!
tj120 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 10:43 AM   #9
tj120
2001 TJ Wrangler 

i forgot to mention that this could be checked in about 2 min with a vacume gage. if its running the correct amount of vacume then theres no leak. these run about 20 or $30 at a parts store. if you wanna try that let me know and ill explain it better its very easy.
tj120 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 10:45 AM   #10
wazilian
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i can't help you find a replacement intake manifold, but here is a link to replace the exhaust manifold. in this write-up you have to take off the intake manifold to do the exhaust manifold. i did this for the exhaust back in july, and i had no problems, and i'm an idiot so you should have no problem. like what was just said, take your time and have a whole weekend if you need to.

http://dailydriventj.com/mfr.shtml

btw, put a bit of oil on those o-rings if you do take the fuel rail off, putting those fuel injectors back in will be easier if those o-rings have some lube.

Travis
Black Hard Top...when its on
Garfield Air Freshener
And there's a frame under there too...I've seen it
wazilian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 10:49 AM   #11
wazilian
1997 TJ Wrangler 

tj120,

i would be interested in hearing what you have to say on that vacuum gauge and where i may be able to pick one up. i am always looking for ways to find vacuum leaks easier.

Travis
Black Hard Top...when its on
Garfield Air Freshener
And there's a frame under there too...I've seen it
wazilian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 11:22 AM   #12
Heyduke
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Instead of buying a new manifold, or finding one at a junkyard. Take yours to a machine shop and have it fixed. Then all you'll need is a gasket set, the time to do it and money for the machine work. A good shop would charge you maybe a hundred bucks to weld and machine your cracked manifold. A haines manual will give you the info for removing and replacing an intake. You can do it.....
Heyduke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 11:43 AM   #13
moerod
2002 TJ Wrangler 

so if i take it out and have it welded and machined what excatly does machining the manifold mean. i seen that coment several times.
Unread 01-17-2008, 11:50 AM   #14
Heyduke
2006 TJ Wrangler 

They will grind a notch along the crack, a V if you will. Lay a bead, or beads of weld into the crack, effectively closing the crack. Afterwards they will have to take any weld off that doesn't need to be there. Flattening the sealing surfaces and making your manifold brandy new. You would be the only one that knows you had a welded manifold.
Heyduke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2008, 11:58 AM   #15
Jerky bump
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moerod
so if i take it out and have it welded and machined what excatly does machining the manifold mean. i seen that coment several times.
If you get a replacement intake manifold only, it may have to be "matched" to the exhaust manifold. The mounting surface has to be flat where it bolts up to the head-or it may crack when you tighten it on. Cast iron cracks really easy. If you do the job yourself a good straightedge and feeler gauges will tell you if it's close enough.
The "pair" have to align also (port wise). If you have to pry parts into alignment, you may get lucky- but you can expect trouble later. It's not a good place for a "close enough" attitude. That's why I suggested gettting a swap out. Anyway,take your time and make sure it's right.
Some people may try to tell you you have to have the head machined also-this probably was never necessary on any engine getting new manifolds. At least never on any I ever worked on.
Jerky bump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.