Cracked Exaust Manifold - '98 TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cracked Exaust Manifold - '98 TJ

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 11-09-2002, 08:45 AM   #1
SpilledMilk

Cracked Exaust Manifold - '98 TJ

The start of this story you've heard before.... '98 TJ, I6 4.0 nearly 62k miles - cracked exaust manifold. Nothing out of the ordinary there, right? I called a local DC stealership (they don't carry Jeep, but they are way closer to where I live than the nearest Jeep dealer) and they said that, since I was the second owner, nothing is covered at all. Further, he said the crack did not affect emissions (which is why it isn't covered). I could only reach one service department today (the rest were closed), so I couldn't get a second opinion, so to speak. To properly arm myself for calling dealerships first thing Monday morning, I thought I would turn to a group of Jeepers who have surely heard this before, had this problem, and - better yet - could possibly advise the best course of action for me from here.

There is a slight chance that I could rouse the first owner to go with me to get the TJ worked on, but I imagine DC would run the VIN (or whatever else needed) to verify ownership.

Please advise.

Mark
'98 TJ - sickly sounding - got crack?

SpilledMilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2002, 10:06 AM   #2
GASPEDDLER

Hi Mark, if possible try calling the dealership that originally sold the jeep to the first buyer. Explain the problem to them and if needed take the first owner with you. I worked for a ford dealership while in college and remember us going out of our way for regular customers. Just be straight with the dealer, they want you as a customer.
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2002, 12:12 PM   #3
SpilledMilk

I've got a good idea (don't know for sure) where the TJ was first bought. I'd rather not hassle the jeeper I bought the TJ from, but I'd much rather not pay out of pocket to get this fixed.

If anyone has information on Illinois emissions laws and what the vehicle manufacturer is required to repair, I'd like to see it. I've heard they are liable up to 70k miles, but can't seem to find any additional information or confirmation on that.

Mark
'98 TJ
Unread 11-09-2002, 12:41 PM   #4
cmerz37

Try calling Auffenburg Jeep...they suck but they have a service dept open on Saturday.
618-624-2277

HTH

Treehugger

PS - Good luck with frisbee...you'll need it with these lethargic folks
Unread 11-10-2002, 08:28 PM   #5
SpilledMilk

Just incase anyone else runs into this, here's what I've found so far...

It's all about the stickers.

I need to take the emissions test. Hopefully, the TJ will fail. That will point the finger back to the dealership and the Jeep _should_ be covered under the 70k smog laws (of which I have yet to find for my native Illinois). Should the TJ pass, it seems that I will have to replace the manifold/header out of pocket. I like Borlas, but at nearly $500 there seems to be a wealth of the "improved design" headers for the 4.0 TJ on eBay for $150. Will I get a cool sticker out of the eBay header? No. Will I be $300 closer to my next fun (defined as something I want, not something my Jeep dictates to be that needs to be done) Jeep mod? Yes. Could I get a cool sticker from that mod? Ah-HA! Most likely.

Emissions test, here I come!

Mark
'98 TJ
ISO eBay sticker for my OR Fab roll cage
Unread 11-10-2002, 09:01 PM   #6
Bob J

I've heard of people thinking their manifold is cracked and it turning out to be a couple loose nuts on the studs.. might want to check those.

Sig v.55
Bob J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2002, 09:05 PM   #7
JPMan-TJ

My 97 TJ had a cracked mani... cost me 700.00 to fix it. I don't think your going to get a dealer to pay for it... sorry.
Unread 11-10-2002, 10:38 PM   #8
SpilledMilk

I'll try to crawl under my TJ with my trust digital camera in hand to get a picture of the manifold for the world to see, but the "crack" in it is large enough to stick your little finger into.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I'm sure that's saved more than a few people more than a couple bucks.

Mark
Unread 11-11-2002, 09:05 AM   #9
Torn66

Id definetly search the board about this one...and also search under engines- lots of people have had this happen.

I just replaced my manifold last week after the same ordeal.

Your jeep will most likely still pass emissions- since they are still measuring at the tailpipe...not where all the exaust is leaking.

I went with a pacesetter header- not the best for wheeling b/c of its design...(cuts some ground clearance...and is a very complicated header- exists completely differently than stock.)

the 'improved ones" on ebay are allright- look for ones with the flexable ridges that prevents further cracks...and of course a lifetime warranty...

installation should not be more than 4 hrs for a shop. Find a good exaust place and they can do it. expect 250-350 labor and 150-200 for the part.

I ended up doing a full system- pacesetter headers/ high flow cat/ flowmaster series 50 muffler and a rusty's exaust.- and added a k&N cone filter....Its an amazing difference.

If i didnt have to replace the manifold i wouldnt have done it...but since i was getting my *** kicked on labor for that...the extra 50 buck to do the rest was well worth it.

i spent under a grand for the whole thing- got the parts on e-bay and mailorder...and had a good local shop do it.

hope this helps- best of luck-
Unread 11-11-2002, 10:33 AM   #10
Rockready_TJ

Mainfold

First of all, Sorry to all of you that have to get emission tests. Where I live, we don't have them. Anyway, I had the same problem, as I think 75 percent of Jeep owners will. I went to the dealership and told them about it, and told them to fix it. They declined, and so I got pissed. Raised a whole bunch of crap, and they ended up fixing it. Noting, that when the first one went out, I was only at 40,000 miles. The second one only lasted 10,000 miles. I went back, and I knew they weren't going to fix it. So then I had to fork out the bucks and bought a Borla Header. I don't know what a Borla Header would do to emissions, but thats what I had to do.
2004 Rubicon, 5.5 RE L-arm- 35X13.50/15 Toyo M/T- M.O.R.E. Stubby Bumper, Warn 9500ti winch, Custom Tube Rear Bumper!!! Kickin Stereo W/ Sub! IPF Headlight conversion w/ harness! Lots of great stuff!!!
Rockready_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2002, 09:28 PM   #11
gtflyer

definately sounds like a new header & or manifold is in your future..Go with a stainless replacemant with a lifetime warranty so you don't have to do it again!..Banks' new header or a Borla would be the best way to go..I hear the Banks header has a thicker flange than the borla & will seal better...good luck
gtflyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust , manifold , tj , wrangler , header , tick

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.