CPS, not the CPS, maybe the CPS - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > CPS, not the CPS, maybe the CPS

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-24-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
orwellianpig

CPS, not the CPS, maybe the CPS

Hoping for some help on this one. By no means a master mechanic, but learning on the fly.
Here we go:
99 4cyl Wrangler with 165k+ miles on it. It sat for close to two years, recently decided to get it back on the road. Preparing it for the road and inspection the following was done: changed oil, flushed coolant, new plugs and wireset, new battery, gumout fuel cleaner, replaced wiper motor, sturdied up the exhaust. Take it for inspection and it passes (no emissions checks for my area)--not a thorough inspection station by any means though.
The next day it stalls driving down the road. Crank and crank and it's close but won't pop...neighbor drives by and we head to get his truck to tow. Get back to the Jeep and it pops right off. Happens again two days later with minimal driving in between. I crank on it and about 15 minutes and it starts up and gets me home--3 miles or so. After about 10-20 miles I will experience this. At the time no codes being thrown around. Also is starting pretty tough at this stage.
Dig around the web and determine CPS a good starting point. Drive it to autozone and check engine light comes on and have them code it and sure enough cps failure. Buy the part and swap it out. Initially very pleased--started right up and idled stronger than it had been. Thought for sure it solved the problem until the next day I drove it about 10 miles to Lowe's. No problem on the way up, started great, idled powerfully, drove perfect--but come out from the store and have a hard start. Stalls two times on the way home.
The CPS swap made a noticeable but very short lived difference. Any ideas on where to go from here? Also getting P1494 and P0455 error codes, EVAP large leak and EVAP leak detection pump pressure switch condition. My(limited) understanding is that these would not factor into this problem though.

(I know there have been a lot of posts on similar topics, unfortunately a lot of OP's never posted the resolution to their problems and leaves people like me still scratching their head)

orwellianpig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Previous CPS threads have shown that cheap parts from IdiotZone and other fast food style auto parts stores can be failed even new out of the box.

I only use OEM Jeep CPS and TPS sensors. In a pinch NAPA is my second choice.

A lifetime warranty is not much good if you are spending most of your lifetime running back to the parts store for another cheap aftermarket replacement part. Unless you really enjoy working on your Jeep, buy good quality parts and do the repair just once.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
Jameslol
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Try testing your TPS (throttle position sensor) with a multimeter, double check your battery connections, get your alt tested. Idk wtf wranglers have for cluster lights but does something light up dealing with batteries or like a Red Engine light? I know when my cherokees alt went to crap (fun time it just started snowing and im 5 miles from home) the red engine light came on to alert me that the only way im getting home is on pure battery hahaha.

Let one of the wrangler guys chime in and point you in a better direction.

Oh and check for vacuum leaks, the evap might have something to do with the vacuum system (idk personally ive never touched it) SO if thats the case that could cause you to idle like crap and stall.

edit: cj7 made a good point, autozones electric stuff kind of sucks, multimeter the cps!
C4x4 Front tow hooks.
Nates 4x4 rear bumper w/receiver and shackles
Iron rock offroad double shear adj trackbar
Jameslol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
tjthorson
2014 JK Wrangler 

Check the coil. Heat can affect those - if you can - get an inline spark tester and keep it handy - when it wont start, put it inline and see if you have spark. Can be the module or the coil. Next thing to check would if you have fuel - a failing fuel pump can exhibit crazy symptoms as well.
Orange Crush Jeep Club Member #50
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Gecko Green (Wife's DD)
Gecko Green Jeep Club Member #1
2005 Yellow Unlimited Rubicon (sold)
My Band! -> http://www.forgethannah.com
http://www.toddsplace.com
tjthorson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
orwellianpig

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Previous CPS threads have shown that cheap parts from IdiotZone and other fast food style auto parts stores can be failed even new out of the box.

I only use OEM Jeep CPS and TPS sensors. In a pinch NAPA is my second choice.

A lifetime warranty is not much good if you are spending most of your lifetime running back to the parts store for another cheap aftermarket replacement part. Unless you really enjoy working on your Jeep, buy good quality parts and do the repair just once.
I see now how adamant most people who have experienced this problem are about the quality of the part. It is getting yanked today. Thanks for the advice.
Unread 06-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #6
orwellianpig

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjthorson View Post
Check the coil. Heat can affect those - if you can - get an inline spark tester and keep it handy - when it wont start, put it inline and see if you have spark. Can be the module or the coil. Next thing to check would if you have fuel - a failing fuel pump can exhibit crazy symptoms as well.
Thanks for the reply, I'm on it.
Unread 06-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #7
orwellianpig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameslol View Post
Try testing your TPS (throttle position sensor) with a multimeter, double check your battery connections, get your alt tested. Idk wtf wranglers have for cluster lights but does something light up dealing with batteries or like a Red Engine light? I know when my cherokees alt went to crap (fun time it just started snowing and im 5 miles from home) the red engine light came on to alert me that the only way im getting home is on pure battery hahaha.

Let one of the wrangler guys chime in and point you in a better direction.

Oh and check for vacuum leaks, the evap might have something to do with the vacuum system (idk personally ive never touched it) SO if thats the case that could cause you to idle like crap and stall.

edit: cj7 made a good point, autozones electric stuff kind of sucks, multimeter the cps!

Thanks, will let you know if I make any headway.

Tags
cps , stalling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.