CPS adjustment and worsened gas mileage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > CPS adjustment and worsened gas mileage

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 08-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
keithert
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

CPS adjustment and worsened gas mileage

I removed my camshaft position sensor (CPS) to check it for the wear that many 05-06 models are experiencing. I marked the gear position and took a photo of the position of the housing. When I put it back together it started immediately and has not turned on the check engine light or thrown a code at all. My gas mileage though has seemed to get worse. Before this on the road it would get 20-21 mpg and around town 16-18. Overall it seems to be getting 2-3 mpg worse than before. On a road trip I just completed it only got 16.5 and 17.3. On similar trips in the past it's gotten 18-21. What I wonder is if the housing for the CPS is rotated even slightly could it affect the timing enough to cause worsened gas mileage. From what I've read of the electronic system this should not be possible without it throwing codes. But I know on an old distributor system a slight turn of the housing would throw the timing off 2-3 degrees. I have not done a "cam/crank relearn" using a DRB scan tool.

Unread 08-13-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
takao
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I pulled today too mine had the abnormal wear, as far as fuel mileage my highway was always 15 and in town about 13... sorry can't help...
takao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
roadkill
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I pulled mine put it back on with marks but didn't get it lined up "just right" ran fine no codes but my exhaust was glowing and now I have partially plugged cat according to the dealer. took it in for the exhaust glowing and had them check the timing, was off 9 degrees
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

You have affected your fuel synchronization, not timing.It has to go back in at the exact same position as it came out!The camshaft or crank can not be moved during re installation of oil pump drive gear.I didn't have a DRB scan tool... after a few attempts I towed it to the dealer and they reset it for me.I learned this when installing my stroker.I know better the next time!Good luck!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
keithert
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ View Post
You have affected your fuel synchronization, not timing.It has to go back in at the exact same position as it came out!The camshaft or crank can not be moved during re installation of oil pump drive gear.I didn't have a DRB scan tool... after a few attempts I towed it to the dealer and they reset it for me.I learned this when installing my stroker.I know better the next time!Good luck!
I didn't turn my engine over at all while the CPS was out. The crank and cam stayed in the same position. I think if something is off it just may be the timing by some rotation of the CPS housing. Other than the gas mileage I have had no driveability issues. I'll probably take it to the dealer for the CPS wear issue on Monday.

EDIT, I've done some reading about fuel synchronization and it sounds like that might be the issue.

Last edited by keithert; 08-13-2010 at 06:06 PM..
keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

What do people do if they replace an engine? Have to drag it to the dealer to get that thing timed?
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
keithert
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris142 View Post
What do people do if they replace an engine? Have to drag it to the dealer to get that thing timed?
There is a procedure to get it set up, but to fine tune it you need the DRB scanner.
Unread 08-13-2010, 09:31 PM   #8
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

If you read my previous post, it should explain.Timing is adjusted through the CKP it has nothing to do with the CPS.Forget about the distributor era!You didn't use a toothpick or such for alignment when you removed the oil pump driveshaft correct?You need to now re-establish the correct positioning with a DRB scan tool! You would understand this if you had a FSM!
Unread 08-13-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris142 View Post
If you don't follow the proper procedures,yes.Read an FSM and it will explain the procedure and what your options are.
Unread 08-13-2010, 09:34 PM   #10
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
I didn't turn my engine over at all while the CPS was out. The crank and cam stayed in the same position. I think if something is off it just may be the timing by some rotation of the CPS housing. Other than the gas mileage I have had no driveability issues. I'll probably take it to the dealer for the CPS wear issue on Monday.

EDIT, I've done some reading about fuel synchronization and it sounds like that might be the issue.
The CPS is not the problem.That is a simple procedure to replace.The fact is you pulled the oil pump drive gear out on top of this!
Unread 08-13-2010, 09:38 PM   #11
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You must have not marked it very well. I did the same thing as you and it went back exactly how it came out after playing with it for 30 mins.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2010, 11:25 PM   #12
TheFog
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I've said it numerous times in the other camshaft position sensor thread, but I guess I will repeat it here.

Don't try and make pen marks so you can realign your CPS assembly because you will never get it right back where it was.

The only way to insure that it will be put back in the EXACT same timing location is to use the timing alignment hole.

To do this you undo the two torx screws and remove the cover from the top of the CPS assembly. Once inside you will see the reluctance wheel that is spun around by the camshaft. On the wheel is a small hole about 1/8" in diameter on the edge of the wheel. This is the alignment hole and on the bottom of the housing there is matching hole roughly in the 7 o'clock position.

To use the alignment pin you have to either turn the crankshaft with a wrench on the crank pulley or if you have a manual transmission put it in 5 or 6 gear. With the Jeep in gear have someone slowly push it till the hole in the ring lines up with the hole in the bottom of the housing. Once they are lined up slide the tightest fitting allen wrench or similar object in the holes to lock the rotor.

Now that the rotor is locked you can pull the housing and inspect it. Once your done slide the housing back in and reinstalled the clamp that holds the housing down. Then all you have to do is remove the allen wrench, put the cover back on and your ready to roll.

FOG
In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
TheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #13
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLENJEEPTJ View Post
If you don't follow the proper procedures,yes.Read an FSM and it will explain the procedure and what your options are.
THX. Fortunatly I've never had to replace a 4.0. Done tons of Chevys and ford v8's though.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2010, 07:11 AM   #14
keithert
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I had the dealer remove and check my CPS for wear and redo the crank/cam relearn. The gas mileage is still down. I'm now getting 15 commuting and only 16-17 on the road. It had gotten as high as 21 on the road a month ago.

Tags
cps , crankshaft , crankshaft position , crankshaft sensor , mileage

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.