Cowl Intake with Windstar air box - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cowl Intake with Windstar air box

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 06-04-2008, 10:59 PM   #1
Hapytruck01
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Cowl Intake with Windstar air box

I got the idea from a guy on Pirate, I decided to use the entire box, he shortened the non filter holding portion of the box.

I trimmed the factory vacuum fittings, and plugged them with wire nuts, then painted them black

Hapytruck01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2008, 11:40 PM   #2
Hapytruck01
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Unread 06-04-2008, 11:41 PM   #3
Hapytruck01
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
Can you poat a link. i'd like to see a write up.
The write up is

get windstar airbox from junkyard
cut a hole in the firewall
cut stock box
tighten screws

Unread 11-07-2009, 09:48 PM   #4
CMEvans79
2007 JK Wrangler 

How has this changed the performance at all? Or what are the benefits?
Unread 11-08-2009, 10:03 AM   #5
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

For highway driving I think this gives me around an extra 1 MPG. Don't see as much benefit for in town driving. Based on temp guage (for what thats worth) looks like the engine runs a little cooler - used to run a touch above 210 before now run a touch below. Don't really notice much power difference.
biffgnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 08:36 AM   #6
KevinR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Just wanted to post this here for anyone looking for how to shorten the Ford Windstar Airbox, as mentioned earlier in the thread. This is how I did it anyways. Background: Airbox is out of a 97 3.8L Ford Windstar, picked it up at a local salvage yard. I put it into a 2006 LJ Wrangler.

I took the part of the airbox that the MAF sensor used to be in, and cut out the middle section.

Then, I cut a few short tabs out of some sheet metal and bolted the two new halves together. I used some ducting tape (the metal kind) to seal the inside.

Then I used some epoxy to make sure it was sealed well.

I finished it off by trimming off the extra bolt threads and using more tape around the outside.

After that, the install was just about the same. I went ahead and picked up some 3 inch flex tubing from Autozone (in the ricer section I believe) and two hose clamps. This let me use the flex tubing to go through the firewall which gave me better access to the dipstick.

Last edited by KevinR; 05-11-2010 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: Pictures were way to big
KevinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 09:35 AM   #7
stuff2c
1997 TJ Wrangler 

in the toad stranglers we have here in Floriduh, wouldn't it have the ablility to pick up a lot of water mounted there?

[FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkRed"][COLOR="White"]If you are not a Jeep Forum Supporter maybe you should reconsider... It's already saved me 10x what my Supporter membership cost me.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE="5"]"There is great need for a sarcasm font"[/SIZE]
stuff2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
For highway driving I think this gives me around an extra 1 MPG. Don't see as much benefit for in town driving. Based on temp guage (for what thats worth) looks like the engine runs a little cooler - used to run a touch above 210 before now run a touch below. Don't really notice much power difference.
Temperature of the intake air is not going to affect the coolant and engine operating temperature
Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #9
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuff2c View Post
in the toad stranglers we have here in Floriduh, wouldn't it have the ablility to pick up a lot of water mounted there?
If you are deep enough to fully flood the cowl then yes you will have a problem, but absent that as long as you keep your cowl drain clear seems highly unlikely to me that enough rain water or splashing water could get in there to cause a problem. My intake comes through the firewall offset a little from the vent, it is obviously at a right angle to the way water would enter through the vent, it is off the bottom of the cowl a little and any water that does get sucked in has get through the filter also. I did go ahead and put a cover over the cowl vent (facing the windshield) but I don't think it was necessary. Versus stock location seems to me much less likely to flood.
Unread 05-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #10
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

looks good
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #11
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nice! This is my next mod to prepare for the front fender lift. Sucking air from the cowl can only help. I've seen IATs in excess of 170F when moving slow in high heat. That will kill your power when the ecu pulls gobs of timing. Sucking air right off the bottom of a black hood, with hot radiator air blowing on it is never good. You will get a somewhat cowl effect at speed with the new intake design.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #12
wmpiehl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
If you are deep enough to fully flood the cowl then yes you will have a problem, but absent that as long as you keep your cowl drain clear seems highly unlikely to me that enough rain water or splashing water could get in there to cause a problem. My intake comes through the firewall offset a little from the vent, it is obviously at a right angle to the way water would enter through the vent, it is off the bottom of the cowl a little and any water that does get sucked in has get through the filter also. I did go ahead and put a cover over the cowl vent (facing the windshield) but I don't think it was necessary. Versus stock location seems to me much less likely to flood.
Picture of cover over the cowl vent?

PM If you have and want to sell/trade
wmpiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2011, 07:40 AM   #13
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmpiehl View Post
Picture of cover over the cowl vent?
Don't have a picture here at work, but this the cover I used: http://www.quadratec.com/products/13006_602.htm

My jeep is black so it doesn't really stand out like the pictures on Qtec.
Unread 03-24-2011, 07:53 AM   #14
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.quadratec.com/products/17006_7000_07.htm
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2011, 07:58 AM   #15
wndsrfr92
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have a simple question, sorry. but does the engn tipicly sputter some times if the gas cap is off for more than 20 hours? (there isnt any water in the tank) is that a vacuum issue? jw
wndsrfr92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.