Covering Herculiner with Line-X (or another coat of Herculiner) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Covering Herculiner with Line-X (or another coat of Herculiner)

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side View

Unread 05-01-2007, 07:15 PM   #1
frankiejr

Covering Herculiner with Line-X (or another coat of Herculiner)

The Jeep I bought had a REALLY bad Herculiner roll-on job done to it. Before I bought it, I briefly looked under the carpet for rust. I noticed it was coated and I was glad for that, but I didn't look closely 'til now (I'd never seen a Herculiner job before so I didn't know any better).

After pulling the carpet out further, it appears as if the person who did it was a blindfolded drunk and applied it with a dead 'possum on the end of a ten foot flagpole. All I can say is... ewwww.

So my question is: Since this stuff is super tough, would it be worth it to try and get it out with a sandblaster, chemical, or thermonuclear weapon? Or would it be better for me to just coat over it with an undercoat gun?

If you guys need pics for me to explain, I can take them soon. Any input?

frankiejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
keoki04
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Is it peeling or flaking? If so, try to get that off first. Then go over it with another coat yourself. It will self adhere to the old coat.

Oh, also make sure it is cleaned good before you go over it.

PS - Drink the six pack afterwards... Don't follow in the previous owners foot steps...
Other mods to come...

My crazy dog!

Clicky You've gotta love days like this at work! Yes, I threw it...Clicky
keoki04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
jeeptillidie
2001 TJ Wrangler 

X2
jeeptillidie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 08:27 PM   #4
themattreid

Just coat over it and make it extra thick - and even. Good luck getting it off if you go that route.
05 TJ 4.0, RE 3.5" SuperFlex, 35x12.50x15 Baja Claws, Viair 450c OBA, Dana 30/44 w/ 4.56 gears, TruTrac F/R, Herculiner, Warn 9000i, RockHard Rear Bumper w/ tire carrier and gerry can, KC Slimlites, AirRaid, custom short exhaust, 400watt DC-AC converter, Kilby gas tank skid, Rock-It diff sliders
themattreid is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.