couple questions about a rubicon - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > couple questions about a rubicon

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 07-03-2010, 10:22 PM   #16
NoVaHunter
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay12 View Post
that's the D30's stats
Yeah I just went and did some reading, I now know that

Unread 07-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #17
kuruma
2006 LJ Wrangler 

NoVaHunter: Rubicon has a fixed yoke already??? Didn't know that. Why would someone put a transfercase drop kit when installing a cheapo lift if it already had a fixed yoke? Would you just need longer drive shafts to eliminate the transfercase drop?

GreenJeeper92: Sorry about the threadjack, Brother. Some info came to light on here to me that might save me some cash. For what it's worth, I'd say get the Rubi. I have a Rubicon Unlimited and it's very nice. I'm learning how it works more evrytime I take it out and am very impressed with its capabilities. Now if I can get rid of that transfercase drop I'd be a happy camper.
kuruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 10:40 PM   #18
RubiconRazorbac
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Even though it's a fixed yoke, it doesn't have a double-cardan (cv) driveshaft. So you're still susceptible to adverse driveline angles when you lift the Jeep.

To get rid of the t-case drop you'd still need a driveshaft & some upper adjustable control arms to adjust the pinion.

The fixed flange DOES make this much easier since you don't have to modify the t-case. The driveshaft upgrade just bolts right up.
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #19
NoVaHunter
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuruma View Post
NoVaHunter: Rubicon has a fixed yoke already??? Didn't know that. Why would someone put a transfercase drop kit when installing a cheapo lift if it already had a fixed yoke? Would you just need longer drive shafts to eliminate the transfercase drop?

GreenJeeper92: Sorry about the threadjack, Brother. Some info came to light on here to me that might save me some cash. For what it's worth, I'd say get the Rubi. I have a Rubicon Unlimited and it's very nice. I'm learning how it works more evrytime I take it out and am very impressed with its capabilities. Now if I can get rid of that transfercase drop I'd be a happy camper.
Yeah it has a fixed yoke. Despite that, the driveline can still be uneven, therefore the tcase drop comes into play. I have one and its horrible
Unread 07-03-2010, 10:48 PM   #20
kuruma
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconRazorbac View Post
Even though it's a fixed yoke, it doesn't have a double-cardan (cv) driveshaft. So you're still susceptible to adverse driveline angles when you lift the Jeep.

To get rid of the t-case drop you'd still need a driveshaft & some upper adjustable control arms to adjust the pinion.

The fixed flange DOES make this much easier since you don't have to modify the t-case. The driveshaft upgrade just bolts right up.

Thank you Gents,
You may have saved me some cash there, but made me look like a fool. LOL I already sent some inquiries to Tom Wood, as far as drive shafts go, and referencing a slip yoke eliminator. Oh well, this is one of the reasons I signed up here, to gain knowledge. So a longer driveshaft and look into Adjustable Upper Arms. Gottcha!

GreenJeeper92: On second thought, maybe you shouldn't get the Rubi. It seems to come with an advanced case of "I want more stuff to make my jeep invincible" itis. LOL
Unread 07-04-2010, 01:40 AM   #21
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
shouldn't get the Rubi. It seems to come with an advanced case of "I want more stuff to make my jeep invincible" itis. LOL
Well see, that's the thing.
If you'll be staying stock or only be mildly building it (say for 33s or less and average trail riding) then the Rubi can be a great choice, might actually save you money.

But if you're going to build for 35s and do some serious wheeling, the only thing the Rubi gives you that's any good is the Tcase. The axles are not stronger, 4.10s are not enough, and the lockers are weak and will need to be upgraded eventually.
(and that factory 'armor' is joke...)
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 05:38 AM   #22
RubiconRazorbac
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
On second thought, maybe you shouldn't get the Rubi. It seems to come with an advanced case of "I want more stuff to make my jeep invincible" itis. LOL
That happens with ALL Jeeps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFlame View Post
Well see, that's the thing.
If you'll be staying stock or only be mildly building it (say for 33s or less and average trail riding) then the Rubi can be a great choice, might actually save you money.

But if you're going to build for 35s and do some serious wheeling, the only thing the Rubi gives you that's any good is the Tcase. The axles are not stronger, 4.10s are not enough, and the lockers are weak and will need to be upgraded eventually.
(and that factory 'armor' is joke...)
You'll be fine on 35s. Of course shafts need to be upgraded if you're doing "serious wheeling." 4.10s suck on the road, but are just fine on the trail. I wouldn't buy the lockers if they didn't come with the axles, but they're strong enough for what a huge majority of folks do on 35s. If mine go, I'll replace them with ARBs.

I still haven't found a good use for the "factory armor" sitting in my garage
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 06:03 AM   #23
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

The 241 transfer case would be nice with its 4:1 reduction compared to the 231 with its 2:71 reduction. It would also be nice to have that front D44 as it has the capability to gear to 5.13. There is a savings in not needing an SYE and only having to buy a CV style drive shaft. Its the rear locker on the Rubi's that have issues because they double as a limited slip. Some folks have installed a front Rubi locker (non-LSD) in the rear axle and been good to go. Starting with a Rubi base would have saved me money and I'd have a better rig now.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 06:26 AM   #24
APEDZ04LJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

thanks for all the info guys, im gonna call up the dealer and maybe in a couple weeks go down and check it out, if it s already geard to 35,s and has the cv and what not who knows what ill do
APEDZ04LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 08:39 AM   #25
solarpower
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenJeeper92 View Post
thanks for all the info guys, im gonna call up the dealer and maybe in a couple weeks go down and check it out, if it s already geard to 35,s and has the cv and what not who knows what ill do
I did it right the first time and got the Rubicon...

but what you don't see is the extra stuff..armor, bumpers, rockers, chromo shafts etc. etc. that you may very well want to have before you go blazing trails on bigger tires.

there is quite an added expense in using those lockers often..you may want to shop around for a less expensive Rubicon with a few more miles and nothing done to it. I have seen them for less than 15k...
Unread 07-04-2010, 09:03 AM   #26
briguy3030
2004 TJ Wrangler 

GreenJeeper, I absolutely love my Rubi, but you could very well find yourself missing the extra space of the LJ as much as you like the prepackaged Rubi setup.

After, skimming across the previous posts, I believe it's been said that your LJ does indeed already have the typical D44 rear, D30 front LJ setup. That said, a Rubicon does have a true D44 rear. The front, however, is where it gets hybrid-like w D44 pumpkin & gears, while the shafts, knuckles & the like are D30 parts.

Disclaimer . . . I'm pretty confident this is the correct info but, if not I apologize. I by no means am a guru but I attempt to provide a clarification when I feel able.

That being said, the money taken out on a loan to gain the air lockers, gearing, & NP241--while losing the valuable storage space & more desirable wheel base of the hard to find LJ--could be spent on your LJ to accomplish the same. I would recommend get some ARB's, regear (to an even better 4.56 or 4.88 for 35's), & possibly go Atlas II if you so felt the need.

Nonetheless, you'll be happy whatever direction you decide to take!

"You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take."
-Wayne Gretzky
briguy3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 09:42 AM   #27
APEDZ04LJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Well my situation is i hate auto with a passion , its no fun to drive, what i was planning to was keep my front warn bumper winch my audio setup and seat covers and put the stock parts on and sell the lj, but id but t rubi if its regeared already and so on because i dont want to put 4000 grand in the lj to do 33's, then sell it at 150,000 miles, where i could get the rubi ready to go on 35s hopefully and just throw my stock flares on and some armor and buy some new tube steps, idk what im gonna do, i love the color of my lj but im 18 and dont need a rear seat in it so i can throw some stuff in the back
Unread 07-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #28
briguy3030
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
dont need a rear seat in it so i can throw some stuff in the back
Yeah, in the 2 years I've had my TJ I've only had back seat occupants once or twice; male friends prefer just not to cram in there--I guess its the 'Zoolander effect.' And being 29, I've found the Jeep no longer has the same effect on chicks as say girls of your demographic.

Therefore, I keep the rear seat in my garage & use the back tub for hauling my tools (Union Ironworker) & camping trips. Nonetheless, I still find I rely on my Yakima Sports Cage rack in the summers for camping as my two coolers take up the entirety of the TJ tub for camping.

It sounds like you've got your 'ducks in a row' so to speak & will love the Rubi's capability . . . I sure do. I think the only other way I would trade my TJ Rubi would be for an LJ Rubi. Best of both worlds IMO.

"You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take."
-Wayne Gretzky
briguy3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 10:20 AM   #29
APEDZ04LJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy3030 View Post
Yeah, in the 2 years I've had my TJ I've only had back seat occupants once or twice; male friends prefer just not to cram in there--I guess its the 'Zoolander effect.' And being 29, I've found the Jeep no longer has the same effect on chicks as say girls of your demographic.

Therefore, I keep the rear seat in my garage & use the back tub for hauling my tools (Union Ironworker) & camping trips. Nonetheless, I still find I rely on my Yakima Sports Cage rack in the summers for camping as my two coolers take up the entirety of the TJ tub for camping.

It sounds like you've got your 'ducks in a row' so to speak & will love the Rubi's capability . . . I sure do. I think the only other way I would trade my TJ Rubi would be for an LJ Rubi. Best of both worlds IMO.
Now thats the ultimate setup an lj rubi!
Unread 07-04-2010, 06:55 PM   #30
kuruma
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Now thats the ultimate setup an lj rubi!

Yes....yes it is.

Tags
rubicon , tj , wrangler , lj , trade , selling , tire , size

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.