Couple of questions with a 2.5L replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Couple of questions with a 2.5L replacement

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #1
eplumer400
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Couple of questions with a 2.5L replacement

I bought a replacement engine two weeks ago and am now in the process of trying to get the engine in. Everyone who I've asked has said that an engine replacement is easy. Well, that is obviously not the case. After about 12 hours of work over two days with three guys, we're still stuck. We replaced the clutch plate to the engine, but upon trying to drop the engine in we're having trouble getting the clutch aligned onto the transmission. We used the alignment tool to get it straightened, but we can't get the engine close enough to the transmission to get the spindle to slide into the engine and begin bolting the engine and transmission together. We tried for about 9 hours turning the engine, lifting the engine, lowering the engine, lifting the transmission, lowering the transmission, and every combination in between, but still cannot get the darn thing linked up. Last night we tried to grease the spindle so it may slide on easier, but that didn't help either. So my questions are:
1. What the hell are we doing wrong?
2. Is there a trick to make this easier?
3. Is there a completely different process we have to do to get this in?

Any and all suggestions would be great.

eplumer400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
splumer
2005 KJ Liberty 

Bump
Unread 03-03-2013, 05:46 AM   #3
zackcj7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Are you trying to drop an engine in with the transmission still bolted in place? If so, that will be really hard to line up. I suggest removing the drive shafts from the transfer case, removing the transmission skid plate, unbolt the transfer case shifter, remove the transmission shifter( you may get away with leaving the shifter in place if you only move it back a couple inches) and then move the transmission back. After that is done drop in the engine and bolt it in place. Then move the transmission back forward and line it up that way.
zackcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
eplumer400
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackcj7
Are you trying to drop an engine in with the transmission still bolted in place? If so, that will be really hard to line up. I suggest removing the drive shafts from the transfer case, removing the transmission skid plate, unbolt the transfer case shifter, remove the transmission shifter( you may get away with leaving the shifter in place if you only move it back a couple inches) and then move the transmission back. After that is done drop in the engine and bolt it in place. Then move the transmission back forward and line it up that way.
It's funny, we were planning on that for our next plan of action. The mechanic that is helping us thought that that would be too much work. But now that you're now the third person to suggest doing that, I think that's what we're gonna do. Thanks.
Unread 03-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Agreed, and it still may be a challenge! I was alone trying to accomplish this and ended up with my winch line attached to the bell housing applying some forward pressure while I wiggled and shifted things about.....and then CLICK, it went all went together and I sighed a big sigh of relief! Good luck man! I'm sure it'll pop for you soon.
gst95dsm is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
Fuddmaster
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Eric. Laura said you owe her some cookies! Lol let me know if you have anymore questions. You have the clutch aligned which is the first step! Try to get the engine and tranny lined up straight. And don't force it!!!!!! Don't force it!!!
Fuddmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
eplumer400
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Next scheduled work day is tomorrow, hopefully we'll make some progress/finish tomorrow.
Unread 03-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
Fuddmaster
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Is your motor bolted in to the motor mounts? That might help when your lining up the tranny, only if the tranny is unbolted and can move.
Fuddmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #9
eplumer400
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The tranny is still bolted in, while the engine is resting on the motor mounts but not mounted into them. When we work on it tomorrow we'll be doing that.
Unread 03-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
SpiderViper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Definitely drop the ds`s and slide the trans/tcase back ad put the motor in them line up the tranny... I have done it before it makes life sooooooo much easier between lining up the motor mounts and the exhaust ect it is way way easier to just bolt in the engine and then get the tans lined up
Chris
SpiderViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #11
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Did you check to see if the splines on the clutch will slide onto the input shaft? Maybe there is a burr on the clutch splines? I've done lots of engines w/o pulling a trans and it does take a few tries to get it lined up it's definatly dooable.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #12
eplumer400
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I think that's part of what we'll be doing tomorrow. Just making sure that the clutch does go on the spline first, then doing the tranny business.
Unread 03-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #13
Madtec

two thoughts for you.
1st don't over grease the output shaft. as the motor and trans starts to spin (when you get it running) the grease will fly off the shaft and on to the clutch plate causing it to slip and burn out the clutch.
and
2nd. pull the clutch plate and dry fit it to make sure it fits trans ( if you replaced clutch plate) and most important look in the center of the flywheel see if there is a bearing in there. or possibly a bearing cap. if so you may need to remove it. some trany's need this bearing to stabilize the output shaft and many others don't.

I made the second mistake the first time i replaced a motor with a used motor. stopped me for a day or two.

good luck.
Madtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #14
eplumer400
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The engine is in! We didn't have to move the transmission. I guess the one guy in our group decided to work on it by himself on Sunday, and he got it to fit into the spindle somehow. Now comes the part of re-hooking everything up, there are three wiring harnesses that aren't connected to anything, that we haven't labeled. So we have no idea where they belong. So finishing up that, re-hooking up the exhaust, serpentine belt, and the parking brake issue I was having are all going to be done on Thursday. After this Is all finished, I'll post an official replacement thread for other people. I don't know how much of a guide that will be to people, but I know that it will be the first of its kind, replacing a four-cylinder with another four-cylinder. Thank you to everyone who offered their advice, it was much appreciated.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.