Couple Basic Maintenance Q's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Couple Basic Maintenance Q's

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-30-2007, 01:07 PM   #1
Black Hills TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Couple Basic Maintenance Q's

Hey Everyone,

So I'm finally getting back into the Jeep swing of things after an extensive hiatus. I got caught up in the mountain biking scene and cash flow has been limited. Anyway, I'm going to do some fluid changes this afternoon and was just curious as to what you guys prefer with regards to some things. I use pennz 5w30 and a Napa gold filter. What air filter do you guys run? What tranny fluid? I've honestly never changed the tranny fluid in my jeep by myself so it could get interesting real quick. I think I'm going to get some Royal Purple Synth. for the diffs.

Also, I thought about using some Seafoam engine cleaner. What do you guys think of this? How exactly do you go about using it?

Thanks,

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSuck
damnit i wish i could get bigger quicker
Check out www.blackhillsjeeps.com!
Black Hills TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2007, 01:16 PM   #2
dyna

5/30 or 10/30 is good, these days most all oils are so far superior to days gone by you cant go wrong really, just stay away from Raylube or Chalet oils, ha,ha. Napa filters are xlnt being of Wix MFG origin. Didnt see if your auto or? Most prefer redline for the AX15 trans, 4 quarts will be needed, the TC needs ATF+3 or 4, diffs 80/90 gear oil is all,maybe 85/140 in back if it makes you feel good if your towing big which is a oxymoron in a Jeep. dont forget LSD addative if you have a traclok or other upgrade. Air filter wise most prefer good old paper ttype filters as the provide the best filteration in fine dust. Seafoam, couldent say, why stir the Pot IMO if nothing is wrong. I think you can love something to death if you try. Just do regular maint and your good to go.
dyna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2007, 01:28 PM   #3
Black Hills TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry, didn't notice that they took away the Jeep info add-on below the usernames.

97 SE
2.5L
Open Dana 30
Open Dana 35
5 speed manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSuck
damnit i wish i could get bigger quicker
Check out www.blackhillsjeeps.com!
Black Hills TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2007, 02:13 PM   #4
SJP
TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hills TJ
What air filter do you guys run? What tranny fluid?
Also, I thought about using some Seafoam engine cleaner. What do you guys think of this?
AC Delco makes the best air filter according to a study that is frequently posted on the forum in response to K&N filter questions.

I intend to switch to Royal Purple Syncromax in my nv3550 soon.

I'd stay away from the Seafoam. I had to replace both of my O2 sensors in my '97 immediately after using it. An expensive lesson. That could have gotten really expensive in my '01 where there are four O2 sensors.

There is a way to steam clean your engine using water. It involves SLOWLY pouring in water into the throttle body. I did this, and my engine runs even better than after the Seafoam, although it was a few months in between the two. After pouring the quantity of water in, I buttoned things up and drove around at 4,000 RPM to dry things out, and expel whatever crud had come loose. Jerry should be along shortly to explain things better than I have.
Unread 06-30-2007, 02:16 PM   #5
SJP
TJ Wrangler 

Well, your posted specs change things a little. For your transmission, Redline MT-90is highly regarded, and again, that is what I intend on using, but in this instance in my ax-5.

The AC Delco filter and Seafoam recommendations remain though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.