cooling system - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > cooling system

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 01-30-2011, 10:08 PM   #1
massive_anus
2000 TJ Wrangler 

cooling system

Hey fellas, I am a new jeep owner of about 2 weeks, take a look! Its a 2000 TJ Sport 4.0L inline 6.

I am not a mechanic by any means, I havent done much work on cars but i know how they work and the basics. So bear with me.

Anywho, I seem to be having some issues with the cooling system. When i first got it, the thermostat locked up and the engine overheated pretty bad for about 10 min before i could make it to advanced auto parts. During this 10 min period the engine seemed really bogged down, and sluggish.

After I fixed the thermostat, I put some 50/50 coolant in there and let it bubble out for a bit. Fast forward a few days and my engine seems to be overheating/above the ideal degree line. I checked the fluids and it seems to be low, so i refill it. Things go alright for awhile, and then become iffy once again.

SO.. I decide to dump some water in the radiator and inspect the undercarraige and i find water dripping from this area.. right next to the transmission? im unsure. if you look close you can see the water dripping.

Also upon inspection of the coolant reservoir i noticed it is uncapped, and it looks cut? Im unsure, is this normal? Just trying to give as much info as possible.

The previous owner said he cracked the radiator and replaced it, so thats fairly new. Im thinking it could hose or liner related? Any thoughts?

Thanks for your time.

massive_anus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
PennyRokStomper

Did he say what caused the old radiator to crack? If he didn't have enough antifreeze in the cooling system, it may have caused it to freeze. That could have cracked the radiator and popped one of the freeze plugs in the block.
Orange Jeep Club Member #18!
PennyRokStomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The coolant reservoir is normal. I install a hose on mine so coolent doesn't spill on the fan belt when climbing steep obstacles.

In your other picture it looks like you have a rear freeze plug leaking...

Tags
coolant , cooling system , overheating , radiator , temperature

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.