coolant type - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > coolant type

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-21-2008, 08:08 PM   #1
Deere9670
2002 TJ Wrangler 

coolant type

I bought a 2002 tj with the 4.0 about 1 year ago. Yesterday I cheaked the fluids and the coolent was a little low. The coolent in the reserve is orange and i am assumeing that it is dex-cool. I heard that durex is the right coolent to use. Whats everone else using? Should i drain the dex-cool?

Deere9670 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
scotiez
2003 TJ Wrangler 

No its not dex-cool. Dex-cool is for GM products. I bought some to have on hand just incase and i bought a premix by Prestone certified to use in mopar products and can be added to any color coolant.

White Jeep Club :member#300
scotiez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2008, 09:47 PM   #3
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotiez
No its not dex-cool. Dex-cool is for GM products. I bought some to have on hand just incase and i bought a premix by Prestone certified to use in mopar products and can be added to any color coolant.
dex-cool is good for coolant systems made of aluminum, not just GM

but lets not turn this thread into a huge debate as the other 30 thread on JU on cooalnt had turned into
1CleanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2008, 10:02 PM   #4
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

most auto parts places (auto zone, pep boys, etc) and walmarts, carry new antifreezes (store brands and name brands) that can be used with any color, says so right on the label. pure or pre-mixed, 50/50. just get a gallon to use for top-off.
Unread 01-21-2008, 10:11 PM   #5
itguy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deere9670
I bought a 2002 tj with the 4.0 about 1 year ago. Yesterday I cheaked the fluids and the coolent was a little low. The coolent in the reserve is orange and i am assumeing that it is dex-cool. I heard that durex is the right coolent to use. Whats everone else using? Should i drain the dex-cool?
for newer jeeps, use only Zerex G05 a HOAT coolant! AND NEVER ADD Dexcool to your jeep!
Unread 01-21-2008, 10:16 PM   #6
valacech
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Oh please this is all bs. I've been using 50/50 premix dexcool in my wrangler since I first got it 4 years ago. It works great. Temperature is always on point and has never even come close to overheating. It seems to last longer too. Can any of you explain why dexcool is so bad for it?
Unread 01-21-2008, 10:20 PM   #7
itguy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by valacech
Oh please this is all bs. I've been using 50/50 premix dexcool in my wrangler since I first got it 4 years ago. It works great. Temperature is always on point and has never even come close to overheating. It seems to last longer too. Can any of you explain why dexcool is so bad for it?
simple google "dexcool". btw if you don't completely flush out your old coolant (green or hoat) it will mix and start eating away your aluminum internals. sorry, but I have seen this first hand.
Unread 01-21-2008, 10:24 PM   #8
itguy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
btw, why even risk it? use what the manual says HOAT.
Unread 01-22-2008, 03:56 AM   #9
Kiwi Jeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I am using Valvoline Zerex G05 and its compatible with MOPAR requirements. It wasn't necessarily any more expensive than other stuff, so why risk it.
Kiwi Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 03:58 AM   #10
scotiez
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by itguy
btw, why even risk it? use what the manual says HOAT.
I had gone to Advanced Auto here to get a gallon of coolant that says HOAT, just like my manual says. I could not find any that says HOAT and the Person working there didn't even know what it was. How ever i settled for a 50/50 premix made by Prestone that said it could be mixed with any color, any brand, and is certified to be used in Mopar systems. I figured this is the best bet for if i have to add just a little. If i want to flush the whole system and preplace new i think i'll go to the dealership and buy some HOAT from them. I am sure they have it. I'll probably have to pay more though being its from a dealership.

White Jeep Club :member#300
scotiez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 04:02 AM   #11
Kiwi Jeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Valvoline Zerex G-05 is HOAT. Have a read of this:

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...asp?product=10
Unread 01-22-2008, 04:05 AM   #12
Kiwi Jeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotiez
I had gone to Advanced Auto here to get a gallon of coolant that says HOAT, just like my manual says. I could not find any that says HOAT and the Person working there didn't even know what it was. How ever i settled for a 50/50 premix made by Prestone that said it could be mixed with any color, any brand, and is certified to be used in Mopar systems. I figured this is the best bet for if i have to add just a little. If i want to flush the whole system and preplace new i think i'll go to the dealership and buy some HOAT from them. I am sure they have it. I'll probably have to pay more though being its from a dealership.
Valvoline Zerex G-05 is HOAT. Have a read of this:

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/produ...asp?product=10
Unread 01-22-2008, 09:22 AM   #13
Deere9670
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I bought the jeep used from a dealership and it came with an orange coolent in it(I am assuming it is dex-cool). I have a gallon of Zerex G-05 in my garage. Should I flush my whole system and fill with Zerex G-05 or just leave the Dex-cool?
Deere9670 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 09:31 AM   #14
Slithering_Joe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Are you using "Dex-Cool" or "Dex-Cool Approved?" There is a big difference!
I'm not going to make this a discussion on what coolant to use but many people confuse "Dex-Cool" & "Dex-Cool Approved." They are not the same fluids. Also, my understaning is Dex-Cool coolant is only available at a GM dealership. "Dex-Cool Approved" coolant can be added to any vehicle requiring "Dex-Cool" and is widely available at just about every parts store. Prestone now claims it makes a coolant that is approved for all vehicles for all coolant types.

I flushed my system and refilled with Prestone regular ol' green stuff, distilled water and Redline Water Wetter. The hot-pink colored Water Wetter changed the green coolant to green-orange. Maybe that is what the previous owner did.

If I was the original poster (OP), I'd change the coolant since it is ~5 years old. Fresh coolant has anti-corrosive chemicals that help promote long life to the radiator, heater core and water pump. When it comes to topping it off in the future, the OP can use the exact same fluid.

Last edited by Slithering_Joe; 01-22-2008 at 09:49 AM..
Slithering_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 09:51 AM   #15
itguy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithering_Joe
Are you using "Dex-Cool" or "Dex-Cool Approved?" There is a big difference!
I'm not going to make this a discussion on what coolant to use but many people confuse "Dex-Cool" & "Dex-Cool Approved." They are not the same fluids. Also, my understaning is Dex-Cool coolant is only available at a GM dealership. "Dex-Cool Approved" coolant can be added to any vehicle requiring "Dex-Cool" and is widely available at just about every parts store. Prestone now claims it makes a coolant that is approved for all vehicles for all coolant types.

I flushed my system and refilled with Prestone regular ol' green stuff, distilled water and Redline Water Wetter. The hot-pink colored Water Wetter changed the green coolant to green-orange. Maybe that is what the previous owner did.

If I was the original poster (OP), I'd change the coolant since it is ~5 years old. Fresh coolant has anti-corrosive chemicals that help promote long life to the radiator, heater core and water pump. When it comes to topping it off in the future, the OP can use the exact same fluid.
the oem fluid that came in my jeep was red/orange in color, I can see how this would confuse people into thinking its dexcool. locally here in denver, I found PEP-Boys and Napa carry G05.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.