Coolant system issue? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Coolant system issue?

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 09-02-2013, 06:15 AM   #1
PabloJeepy
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Coolant system issue?

Recently my Jeep has been acting weird that I suspect it's with the cooling system. After a drive, shutting down and walking out from the Jeep, I frequently here a "gurgling noise". Also, the coolant/water mixture doesn't go back to the reservoir. Checked the radiator and the coolant looks fine and engine is running at the normal 210 temperature. I've added water a couple times in the reservoir but after a few drives, its gone. Any ideas on the culprit guys?
Side note- Spending the day off to clean the Jeep (no-carpet interior, exterior, engine and soft top) and heard simple green does wonders. Input?
Cheers fellas

PabloJeepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 06:39 AM   #2
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Try a new radiator cap.
I think Simple Green is a very good cleaner!

Welcome to the forum.
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 06:43 AM   #3
yamaha225
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Simple green is good but I personally can't stand the smell. I found one recently called "terrific pink" that I love but it's made in Maine where I live so i'm not sure if you can get it in other areas yet

Black Jeep Society, Eagle Scout Jeepers
yamaha225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
PabloJeepy
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, been browsing the site for Jeep advice but it feels good to be active now. I'll post results later.
Unread 09-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #5
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Mine was gurgling and I later found a leak in the water pump. After the pump was replaced I had no more gurgling.
Good luck
purplepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Your coolant is leaking somewhere, either externally or internally.
Internally: into your engine oil, radiator, automatic transmission, or exhaust.
Externally: Water pump, hose, radiator,rad cap, heater core , thermostat housing, freeze plug,reservoir, (fill in the blank__________)

Why not open your hood when you hear the gurgling sound and see if you can pinpoint where it is coming from. It sounds like the coolant may be boiling, be very cautious of scalding water if you decide to remove the radiator cap under these conditions.
The reservoir coolant will only go back into the radiator under the partial vacuum that is created when the coolant cools, and contracts.
JFM626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #7
justinyancey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

check the passenger side floor board for coolant under the carpet
justinyancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
PabloJeepy
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. Bought a couple parts from ebay to see if it'll remedy the issue but gotta wait on it. Gives me a chance to take apart some things in the Jeep to learn about it more.
Unread 09-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #9
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Be careful buying parts on ebay. You can go to Advance Auto or another parts store and rent a coolant pressure tester for a small fee. That way you don't waste money on parts you don't need.
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipsh**s.
chevy2169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #10
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Recently mine started gurgling and would occasionally boil over shortly after shut down. Turned out to be the radiator cap which was worn out after 10 years. If you don't do a pressure test first, buy an 18psi radiator cap for $12.
Unread 09-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #11
PabloJeepy
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice guys. Just going to go to Autozone for helps and parts now to save myself some money.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.