Coolant spew question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Coolant spew question

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 07-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
SurfnSnow
2010 JK Wrangler 

Coolant spew question

Hi all
I've got a 2004 LJ with 78k miles on the engine and last April, I was driving to Moab and was just outside of Vegas on I-15 (on that steep grade going north) and pulled over for a break. After coming back to the jeep I smelled coolant and popped the hood to check and found that it looked like some coolant had been "burped" out, it looked like it was hit with a water balloon . It wasn't a lot, probably a cup worth but the weird thing is that I couldn't tell where it came from, I checked the following and found that
-The lid on the overflow bottle was tight
-the hoses to the overflow bottle were on tight as well
-Radiator cap was on good
-No leaks from the thermostat area
-Engine temp right at 220
-Fan ran properly

So I added some more coolant and drove to Moab (and back) with no issue and hasn't been an issue since. The only thing I did was replace the radiator cap and add a bit of coolant but that's it. Anyone have any ideas on what might have happened?

SurfnSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
Pillswoj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Mine does the same thing, not often but it will occasionally puke a cup or two of coolant, I did a complete flush and fill of the system and it still does it. Radiator cap is my next attempted fix.
Unread 07-12-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

the reservior bottle has an overflow port on the back...pretty common if the bottle is overfilled to spew coolant out of there. usually it sprays all over the inner fenderwell and inside the hood. smart folks add a rubber hose and vent it under the jeep.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Also, if you shut it down while it was Very hot, the circulation stops and the engine block can increase the temp of the coolant in the engine itself. It can puke.. Always good to let it idle to cool down. Same for auto transmissions if they get hot.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #5
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
the reservior bottle has an overflow port on the back...pretty common if the bottle is overfilled to spew coolant out of there. usually it sprays all over the inner fenderwell and inside the hood. smart folks add a rubber hose and vent it under the jeep.
That happens during a steep climb too.
No more overflow under the hood for me...

Unread 07-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #6
SurfnSnow
2010 JK Wrangler 

Cool, thanks for the answers guys! I just want to make sure that it wasn't a fluke thing or a symptom of something larger
SurfnSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
jpittman
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same thing happen after doing some steep climbs while offroading. Always thought it was coming from the overflow on the coolant bottle. Thanks for confirming my thoughts and I will be adding that hose.
jpittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 06:37 AM   #8
Pillswoj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Replaced my radiator cap, it definitely was part of the problem and not holding pressure...

Unfortunately the new cap revealed the terrible shape my upper rad hose was in and split it in about 10 mins . I will be replacing both upper and lower hoses tonight.

Tags
Coolant , leak , anti freeze

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.