Coolant overflow tank hose leaking?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Coolant overflow tank hose leaking??

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
Meng
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Coolant overflow tank hose leaking??

I pressure tested my cooling system yesterday, and found out the upper radiator hose has a leak so I replaced it. topped off radiator and burped the system. After cool down I checked the pressure again, pumped it to 18 lbs and slowly dropped to 16 lbs in 2 mins and held there.. Is this fine??

When I got home last night I found white smoke coming from the radiator.. so this morning I checked the coolant level, it is not low, so I thought it was the coolant on the fan or the hoses burned off which made the white smoke. I then started the jeep, 1 or 2 mins later I found that the overflow tank hose was leaking at where it connects to the radiator cap neck.... I cant seem to find the hose on the online parts store, most of them sell the tank with the hose as an assembly. does anybody have an idea where I can buy just a hose? any part number? do autozone or advance autoparts carry it? I just dont want to wait and want to have this fixed asap..

thanks!

Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
Jeepsr4me

Yes they sell hose. its cheap. Measure the length and get some new hose. Nothing special about it,.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
Meng
1998 TJ Wrangler 

ok, I`ll check the autozone later
Unread 08-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
MJBinNM
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you could use a new cap also...
MJBinNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #5
Meng
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I bought one yesterday and havent installed it yet... why say so?
Unread 08-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
MJBinNM
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meng View Post
I bought one yesterday and havent installed it yet... why say so?
Due to the fact that you stated you lost about 2 psi in 2 minutes...mine had a gurgling issue for a while, no real overheating issues, but a new cap fixed that. If it's not holding pressure, it will allow the system to blow off steam prematurely.

And it's something cheap to rule out...
MJBinNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
Meng
1998 TJ Wrangler 

thanks, i will put the new one in , but what I did was connect the tester cap to the radiator filler neck, the cap was off...so I dont know how it is ralated to the cap?
Unread 08-16-2012, 05:45 AM   #8
Jeepsr4me

You could have tested the cap also. Same tester.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.