Coolant Issue... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Coolant Issue...

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 02-25-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
Msprain10
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Coolant Issue...

I am having problems with my coolant system. In October I replaced my water pump and radiator(it was a radiator for an automatic, i just ignored the transmission cooler lines). The jeep ran fine for 3 months and the radiator went bad again. I replaced it with another radiator(once again it had the auto trans cooler lines but ignored them again). Now my Jeep is leaking coolant from the radiator cap which is brand new. There is dried white coolant sprayed all over the engine bay from it hitting the fan. I noticed the hood is resting on the radiator cap. I can tell this because there is fresh raw metal exposed on the hood and green paint on my radiator cap. I was thinking that the hood weight could be causing the cap to loosen and allow some coolant to leak. Could my current hood spring be worn out? Should i try buying a new spring and see if that helps...
Any input would be great,
Thanks

Msprain10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
anderson5290
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The radiator should have some adjustment holes for different placements if not i would drill some new holes and drop it a 1/4 inch or so.
anderson5290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
trailrated1989
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Does that radiator sit higher than your stock one?
trailrated1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
GREASEMONKEY
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the grille mount could be pushed up, or the radiator is not properly mounted. Check the bumpers on each side of the grille. That's the little black rubber things on the bottom front corners. If they are not resting on the frame rail then I'll bet the center mount has been pushed up. Center mount is on the round front crossmember. If it has been wheeled hard, or wrecked the mount could be pushed up causing the whole shebang to be out of specs. I would also check to be sure that you have hood bumpers. Little black rubber knob looking things on both sides of the grille right about where the hood lines up on the grille. They keep the hood off the grille when latched down.
My Ammo Can Console
------------------------------------------------------
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
GREASEMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #5
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Is it an OEM style radiator?...
Unread 02-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #6
Msprain10
1997 TJ Wrangler 

the radiator is oem style and is mounted properly. the fenders both have the rubber hood stops still mounted to them... Still on the prowl to find this problem
Unread 02-27-2011, 08:43 AM   #7
Zeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Is your fan centered in the shroud? Maybe the whole front end needs to be tweeked!
Unread 02-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #8
chadsmeltzer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The radiator I replaced mine with sits up quite a bit higher then the stock one, yours must be even higher. The hood could be pushing it down letting it leak, like when you have to push the cap down when you turn it to release it.
Unread 02-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #9
Msprain10
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I am going to get the whole system pressure tested and we will see what happens

Tags
antifreeze , cap , coolant , hood springs , radiator

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.