Coolant - HOAT - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Coolant - HOAT

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREERuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 11-27-2005, 05:30 PM   #1
okstatendn

Coolant - HOAT

My coolant was low so I needed to add some more. I read the manual for my 2002 TJ which says to use a HOAT coolant only available from the dealer. I didn't like that plan so I got some Prestone top-off coolant which claims to work for all models and all colors of previous anti-freeze. (The Prestone is yellow or very light green in color. My original coolant is orange.)

I already put in the new stuff and I was golden with this plan until I did a search on this site and read about all the drama people have had mixing antifreeze colors. The Prestone claims to be golden for all colors, but now I'm a little uneasy.

Anybody with the HOAT tried topping off with the Prestone all-models, all-colors antifreeze? Any bad experiences?

okstatendn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2005, 07:02 PM   #2
coorsmgood
2010 JK Wrangler 

free bump!! me want know too
Unread 11-27-2005, 07:14 PM   #3
yankeejeeper02

I may be wrong but I was told that as long as u matched coolant colors you were good to go. Mine has orange so I just add orange coolant.
yankeejeeper02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2005, 07:23 PM   #4
BORY
TJ Wrangler 

orange antifreeze lasts longer than the green -=-=-=-= its better also. thats all.
BORY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2005, 07:28 PM   #5
Bobby G

you will be fine. ive mixed them before. no problems
Orange Jeep Club# ?
Bobby G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2005, 07:31 PM   #6
nbf6165
2002 TJ Wrangler 

G-05 is what you need for newer models, you can't always match colors. Zerex is readily available, it will say for Chrysler vehicles.
nbf6165 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2005, 08:24 PM   #7
06slvrrubi
Lovin' Life

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORY
orange antifreeze lasts longer than the green -=-=-=-= its better also. thats all.
Ha, thats a joke! I'm going to pull mine in the shop someday soon and have the kids do a coolant flush on it and refill with all green (ethylene glycol). I have heard nothing but horror stories about GM's Dex-Cool (orange) coolant. Also, we have two faculty members at the school that drive WJ's, both of them have less than 50,000 miles on them and we recently completely flushed them out and refilled with green due to sludge build up in the system. We took the radiator caps off of them and saw brown. Looked in the overflow tank and there was about two inches of thick brown sludge in the bottom. I'm getting that crap out of mine before it has a chance to do any harm.

EDIT: I forgot to add that we also changed the thermostat's in the WJ's, they were all built up with sludge and looked like they were ready to stick. Nothing but bad can come from orange coolant. Not that the green won't sludge up after a long period of time, but it does not sludge up as bad and as quick as the orange coolants do.
06slvrrubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2005, 10:38 PM   #8
AjRagno
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85fiero
Ha, thats a joke! I'm going to pull mine in the shop someday soon and have the kids do a coolant flush on it and refill with all green (ethylene glycol). I have heard nothing but horror stories about GM's Dex-Cool (orange) coolant. Also, we have two faculty members at the school that drive WJ's, both of them have less than 50,000 miles on them and we recently completely flushed them out and refilled with green due to sludge build up in the system. We took the radiator caps off of them and saw brown. Looked in the overflow tank and there was about two inches of thick brown sludge in the bottom. I'm getting that crap out of mine before it has a chance to do any harm.

EDIT: I forgot to add that we also changed the thermostat's in the WJ's, they were all built up with sludge and looked like they were ready to stick. Nothing but bad can come from orange coolant. Not that the green won't sludge up after a long period of time, but it does not sludge up as bad and as quick as the orange coolants do.
HOAT is not DexCool!

Chrysler has been using HOAT since model year 2001 and Ford has since model year 2002. It is not associated with the problems of GM's DexCool. In fact, my TJ was built in August 2000 and has nearly 60,000 miles. The coolant is still a refreshing pink, without any signs of contamination, and my cooling system is functioning very efficiently.

It makes little sense to replace a coolant which is good for 5 years/100,000 miles with that which would require replacement every 3 years/36,000 miles. I've searched, and you're the only one complaining about HOAT antifreeze.
AjRagno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2005, 11:17 PM   #9
Dirty Backroads
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, it's a very pretty color. Mine is a bit low. I guess I should go to the dealer to pick some up? I'm not keen on mixing others in.

Yellow Jeep Club Member #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper111
Nothing like going topless with some Kid Rock blasting looking down on the rice boys with their dropped Civics wondering what Japanese steel would look like under the Mickey Thompsons.
Dirty Backroads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2005, 02:01 AM   #10
DestructoJr
The Thin Blue Line

Are antifreezes a color due to the chemical composition or from dye, I dont see color being a big deal if the chemical composition is the same but if they are different then it might be a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marneaus
10 because you're awesomely conservative and bash all the liberals. hoorah!
www.offroadoverstock.com

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
--John Stewart Mill--
DestructoJr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2005, 06:18 AM   #11
06slvrrubi
Lovin' Life

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjRagno
HOAT is not DexCool!

Chrysler has been using HOAT since model year 2001 and Ford has since model year 2002. It is not associated with the problems of GM's DexCool. In fact, my TJ was built in August 2000 and has nearly 60,000 miles. The coolant is still a refreshing pink, without any signs of contamination, and my cooling system is functioning very efficiently.

It makes little sense to replace a coolant which is good for 5 years/100,000 miles with that which would require replacement every 3 years/36,000 miles. I've searched, and you're the only one complaining about HOAT antifreeze.

I am very aware that HOAT is not Dex-Cool, but you're not going to change my mind about it. I'm replacing it. Even if the only thing it gives me is piece-of-mind.
Unread 11-28-2005, 10:30 AM   #12
okstatendn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestructoJr
Are antifreezes a color due to the chemical composition or from dye, I dont see color being a big deal if the chemical composition is the same but if they are different then it might be a problem
As I understand it, the color is due to dye rather than chemical composition, but it is dyed in order to indicate chemical composition. So mixing colors is mixing different chemicals. Apparently some combinations are miscible, but others react and form some kind of gel. Not good.

If I had it to do again, I would've either
* Gotten the Zerex G-05 which is stated on this forum to match my original coolant.
or
* Flushed the radiator and put in something new.

The above is true despite the claim by the product I bought to mix safely with everything. The costs of finding out the claim is false exceed the benefits of finding out it's true.

As for now, I'm just going to be checking for signs of gelling.
okstatendn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2005, 07:21 PM   #13
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85fiero
I am very aware that HOAT is not Dex-Cool, but you're not going to change my mind about it. I'm replacing it. Even if the only thing it gives me is piece-of-mind.
I hope you don't ever need any warranty service for anything related to or affected by the coolant if you do change to ethelyne glycol. It will void your warranty if you have a diligent dealer who does not want to be stuck with the repair costs. For your warranty to be valid you must use fluids or lubricants that meet or exceed the specifications in your owner's manual. Ethelyne glycol definately does not meet DCX specifications, Zerex G05 does. If it makes you feel better, change it every 30K - it's doubtful you'd have any buildup/sludge in that time frame.

Chris
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2005, 07:43 PM   #14
alexb

This is becoming a beat-up topic. Somebody should have added this to an FAQ...

1. HOAT is ethilen glycol based coolant. HOAT = Hybrid Organic Acid Technology and refers to the additives.

2. According to DC and their FSM, it is safe to mix a HOAT coolant with the old green dyed one. It is not recommended though due to the reason of loosing HOAT benefits (long-life).

3. DEX-COOL is OAT, not HOAT and is used primarily by GM. There have been horror stories around about dex-cool, however many people suspect that those are mostly related to cooling system neglect. There are millions of GM vehicles on the road, and they are not falling appart due to the dex-cool. By the way, DC insists on keeping your overflow coolant bottle full. I suspect, this is to make sure there is no air in the system.

4. AFAIK, HOAT has been used for a long time now in Mercedes vehicles. How many horror stories has anybody heard about Mercedes coolant failure?
alexb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2005, 08:58 PM   #15
06slvrrubi
Lovin' Life

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I remember a few of those horror stories about GM's Dex-Cool. One of my instructors at WyoTech told a story about a Chevy truck that came in with around 25,000 miles on it with an overheating problem. Fluid level was fine, pressure test on the system showed no problems, there was nothing obstructing the radiator. So they decided to check the water pump. The impellor was eaten away about 75%. Vehicles would come in with sludge built up so bad, the coolant wouldn't even flow thru the block. Bad stuff. The instructor that I work with has a drag car with a 706CI engine. When he built the engine, he filled the cooling system with Dex-Cool because it was the newest stuff and was supposed to be the best as well. After one season of running the car, his aluminum radiator had holes eaten thru it. I even heard somewhere that there was a class action lawsuit forming against GM because of Dex-Cool, but I have never heard anything about such a lawsuit gaining momentum.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.