Coolant, green, HOAT or Dex-Cool - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Coolant, green, HOAT or Dex-Cool

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-20-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
dkeith
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Coolant, green, HOAT or Dex-Cool

I recently flushed my coolant and assumed that the orange stuff was Dex-Cool in my radiator. Therefore, I put Dex-Cool in it. Now I'm thinking of getting that out and going with the good ole green stuff. I've searched a little while, ok 5 or so posts but am wondering who is running what and why.

Also, which hose is best to remove when flushing the system with a water hose on a cool motor? I picked the top one that was mounted to the valve cover and put my water hose up to it on low pressure and let everything drain out the bottom plug.

dkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
ibkushman320
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i was wondering this too...i need to top off my orange colored coolant and wanted to know what exactly to use. hopefully some answers come up.
Unread 08-20-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
dkeith
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I've read from posts that it's actually HOAT not Dex-Cool. Some kind of Dodge thing that I'm not familiar with. I'm a GM man so I wouldn't know. I'm still in denial that my Jeep is related to Dodge.
dkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 09:17 PM   #4
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

HOAT is recommended for my 05. Don't know about earlier years. According to the FSM it's available only at the dealer for about $20 a gallon. Since I'm under warranty for another 3 years or 40K that's what I use.

Glockster's Rubihara Build
glockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 10:16 PM   #5
jeep06
2015 KL Cherokee 

No you do not want to use DEX-COOL in your Jeep.. well the newer ones anyway, guess it's up to you on the older ones if you trust it. It is supposed to be HOAT coolant and you can get it from some auto parts stores. If I had to pay $20/gl, it would never get changed. Here is just one thread on here using the search engine under "HOAT COOLANT". Type it in and spend two hours reading it.
Unread 08-20-2009, 11:26 PM   #6
Kiwi Jeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

HOAT is the recommended coolant. It can be dyed in different colours, so don't identify it just by colour. Also Valvoline Zerex G-05 is HOAT and compatible with what was put in the Jeep from the factory (in all probability it was the same thing, just re-branded for Mopar). Dex-cool is definitely not recommended.
Kiwi Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 11:32 PM   #7
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Are you using the oldschool dexcool or the new "Prestone Dex-cool Approved" stuff. I heard the old kind can frag your cooling system and mixing orange with green with gunk it up.

I run the Prestone dexcool approved orange stuff. No problems.
blubaru2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 11:36 PM   #8
jeep06
2015 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Jeeper View Post
HOAT is the recommended coolant. It can be dyed in different colours, so don't identify it just by colour. Also Valvoline Zerex G-05 is HOAT and compatible with what was put in the Jeep from the factory (in all probability it was the same thing, just re-branded for Mopar). Dex-cool is definitely not recommended.
Yes that is the brand I was trying to think of..... Zerex G-05 and I know of a few parts stores in this area that carry it and it certainly is much less than the dealers 150% mark up price.
Unread 08-21-2009, 12:14 AM   #9
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkeith View Post
Also, which hose is best to remove when flushing the system with a water hose on a cool motor? I picked the top one that was mounted to the valve cover and put my water hose up to it on low pressure and let everything drain out the bottom plug.
You picked the correct hose

This is the heater hose which runs from the firewall to the top of the engine. The best way to "flush" out everything is to install a flush kit (T) to this hose, connect your hose to the T, and flush with the engine idling and heat on high. Continue to flush with water until it drains out clear.

Then you have the flushing T installed for future flushes!
B2CARPEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 12:30 AM   #10
polo196
2004 TJ Wrangler 

That old Dex Cool killed my 97 grand prix, radiator, water pump(s) etc... But it was the only thing you could run in it.
Yellow Jeep Club Member [FONT="Century Gothic"]#196[/FONT]
polo196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 12:41 AM   #11
_Yeti_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Last year I used some Advanced Auto 50/50 mix.. it was what they recommended. Could this cause a problem down the line on my '05 TJ?
Unread 08-21-2009, 05:17 AM   #12
lynn
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo196 View Post
That old Dex Cool killed my 97 grand prix, radiator, water pump(s) etc... But it was the only thing you could run in it.

Dex Cool

I had a '99 S10 ZR2 P/U, bought it new. At 8000 miles, the heater core plugged up. Dex cool turned to brown sludge. Plugged up twice a year after that, the dealer would always acid flush, neutralize, and refill with dex, under warranty. When the warranty ran out, they refused to keep doing the flush unless I paid!

They replaced the water pump and heater core after threats of legal action... I had all the receipts for the flushing that showed the mileage.
When they replaced those components, I forced them to put in good old green coolant (they said "but you'll void the warranty on the parts!" )
Drove it for two more years, never had a problem after that.

I've talked to some guys who never had a problem with dex... talked to many more who did. Seemed to be worse with the V6s than the V8s.

Anyway... avoid Dex Cool like the plague!!

EarlyCJ5.net Forums
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 06:11 AM   #13
noleswin
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Yeti_ View Post
Last year I used some Advanced Auto 50/50 mix.. it was what they recommended. Could this cause a problem down the line on my '05 TJ?
This is exactly what I used last week when I flushed and cleaned up my system.
noleswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2009, 08:07 AM   #14
happymudder10
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My wife's 1999 Suburban (we've had since new) had an issue with the intake manifold gasket at around 40k miles. It was out of warranty, so I replaced it myself after reading that the OEM gasket was not compatible with GM DEXCOOL. The new gasket I put on it was the one recommended on the TSB from Chevy, and 145k miles later, it's still good.

On my TJ, I use Zerex coolant.
Unread 08-21-2009, 09:19 AM   #15
B2CARPEN
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Yeti_ View Post
- Zerex (HOAT) is what's recommeded on newer TJs.
- DEX-COOL (OAT) is not recommended and has been known to cause gasket failures as mentioned above.
- Standard (Glycol based) coolant "green stuff" can be used on any engine.

Switching from HOAT (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) "orange stuff" to Standard Glycol based coolant "green stuff" will not hurt your cooling system. Both HOAT and Glycol coolants contain chemical ingredients that help prevent corrosion in addition to being an "anti freeze" liquid. It's said that HOAT (Zerex) will last longer then Glycol (150,000 miles or 5 years) but Glycol will still protect for years and won't damage anything.

On the other hand... HOAT is not recommended on older radiators as the organic acids have been known to eat away any lead solders.

Mixing HOAT and Glycol is also not recommended since the chemicals combined will break down much quicker reducing corrosion protection. If you decided to switch coolants, just be sure to completely flush out the system prior to adding the new coolant.
B2CARPEN is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.