Coolant bubbling??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Coolant bubbling???

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 09-05-2004, 03:37 PM   #1
Jeepfreak911

Coolant bubbling???

I just got back from Jellico today and i made the mistake of having too much fun in a mud pitt, my engine kept over heating because of the radiotor being caked from mudd. I got the radiator cleaned off well enough to where the engine runs about 220 or a little bit less. But my problem is that in my resavoir the coolent is bubbling out through the over flow??? My coolant is pretty nasty brown, do you guys think its just broken down and needs to be flushed???? Any one have any thoughts?? My resavoir is almost empty now......

FlAT BLACK JEEP #1
98 Wrangler, 4.0, RE 5.5 LA,No front sway bar, Sye/Tom driveshaft, 4:56 gears, Super 35 with Detroit, "35" BFG, custom intake, Flowmaster, hella 500's throughout,Custom Warn shortened 4 inches each side front bumper,Flat Fender,Warn spare tire carrier. Hurculined tub. AC converted to on board air. I will be done soon.. i hope grrrr
Jeepfreak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2004, 06:17 PM   #2
WR4NGLER
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepfreak911
I just got back from Jellico today and i made the mistake of having too much fun in a mud pitt, my engine kept over heating because of the radiotor being caked from mudd. I got the radiator cleaned off well enough to where the engine runs about 220 or a little bit less. But my problem is that in my resavoir the coolent is bubbling out through the over flow??? My coolant is pretty nasty brown, do you guys think its just broken down and needs to be flushed???? Any one have any thoughts?? My resavoir is almost empty now......
I'm not super great with engines and stuff yet, but having a similar overheating problem just last week, I can only tell you what I know.

1. I overheated due to mud caked in my radiator. I used coil cleaner (for like air conditioners and stuff, can find it anywhere) and sprayed it all over the backside of the radiator, let it sit and washed it out. That solved my problem of overheating.

2. I didn't have any bubbling issues and my reserve was more full than usual after my fun, and very dark so I figured something got in, but couldn't figure out how. If your reserve is almost empty, I would suggest that you check for leaks first off. If there's no leaks, flush it and play it by ear.

3. Even though your coolant is pressurized, it's NOT a closed system per say. The reservoir has a nice breather hole that lets air in when the coolant system needs more fluid. Basically, it's just there so that when the coolant system sucks in and out more fluid (temperature change causes the levels to raise and lower) the reservior doesn't become pressurized. Nice idea, but the breather hole is pointed down, effectively keeping out rain and other things, but perfect for letting mud that's being shot up from below the engine compartment (in yours and my case) shoot into your reserve. Once it's there, it settles to the bottom, where the first fluid is taken into the system if needed....sucks. I'm working on something to rig into that, maybe a check valve (one way).
WR4NGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2004, 11:23 PM   #3
Jeepin It
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

You might have a blown head gasket.
2004 TJ Sahara
RIP
1992 YJ Renegade.
Jeepin It is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2004, 06:03 PM   #4
Jeepfreak911

Well today i went ahead and flushed the system, then put in a new thermometer and its running much better, not boiling anymore. Thanks for your guys input
FlAT BLACK JEEP #1
98 Wrangler, 4.0, RE 5.5 LA,No front sway bar, Sye/Tom driveshaft, 4:56 gears, Super 35 with Detroit, "35" BFG, custom intake, Flowmaster, hella 500's throughout,Custom Warn shortened 4 inches each side front bumper,Flat Fender,Warn spare tire carrier. Hurculined tub. AC converted to on board air. I will be done soon.. i hope grrrr
Jeepfreak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2004, 06:30 PM   #5
WR4NGLER
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well today i went ahead and flushed the system, then put in a new thermometer and its running much better, not boiling anymore. Thanks for your guys input
Good to hear. Just keep that breather hoel in mind next time. I learned my lesson, hehe.
WR4NGLER is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.