conveting to natural gas? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > conveting to natural gas?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-29-2008, 06:29 AM   #16
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

i'd say go for it. CNG at that price is a great way to reduce your fuel costs. you will lose a little power with propane or CNG either way, but if you run dual fuel (keep the gasoline system) then you won't effect your non-local drivability, plus you'll extent the range of the Jeep significantly.

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 07:46 AM   #17
hollywood081470
2006 TJ Wrangler 

if anyone can come up with a strategy of where and how to place the tanks .......please let everyone know ...this is the only real stumbling block to implementing this type of mod ....
hollywood081470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 07:49 AM   #18
happymudder10
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The only drawback, is that the piston rings will not last as long with CNG.
Unread 05-29-2008, 10:29 AM   #19
turbo30jez
2006 LJ Wrangler 

composite tanks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood081470 View Post
if anyone can come up with a strategy of where and how to place the tanks .......please let everyone know ...this is the only real stumbling block to implementing this type of mod ....

I found a internet site called lincoln composits they are in nebraska and they make carbon fiber tanks for cng vehicles they are signifigently lighter than steel or aluminium tanks. They mount these tanks on the top of buses and they have a neet pic of about five six in. diameter five ft. long tanks that they have mounted under a roof rack. on a s.u.v.
turbo30jez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 10:30 AM   #20
turbo30jez
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymudder10 View Post
The only drawback, is that the piston rings will not last as long with CNG.
Why is that?
Unread 05-29-2008, 10:33 AM   #21
turbo30jez
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood081470 View Post
I think I could fit a 15 in. diameter 30in. long 5.4 gallon tank in the trunk of my LJ. and then just use any number of reciever hitch or roof mounter racks to carry cargo.
Unread 05-29-2008, 12:33 PM   #22
schu
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Some idea's i was thinking about is finding maybe one or two smaller one and putting them in the rear cargo area of my wrangler with out taking the seat out. Also adding tanks on the back in like a fabed jerry can holder type thing. Maybe in between the front bumper and grill, to even some weight, like where you would put a winch. One last possibility I have considered is fab up a smaller gasoline tank to put in a different area and remove the stock gasoline tank and put a cng tank there.
schu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #23
turbo30jez
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schu View Post
Some idea's i was thinking about is finding maybe one or two smaller one and putting them in the rear cargo area of my wrangler with out taking the seat out. Also adding tanks on the back in like a fabed jerry can holder type thing. Maybe in between the front bumper and grill, to even some weight, like where you would put a winch. One last possibility I have considered is fab up a smaller gasoline tank to put in a different area and remove the stock gasoline tank and put a cng tank there.
what kit are you thinking of going with?
Unread 05-29-2008, 04:10 PM   #24
schu
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I don't really know as of now, first I want to try to figure out tanks, because they are interchangeable. Mine main concerns are that I don't want to lose my rear seat, I don't want to put them on a rack on the top because I love to take the top off, and I really don't want stuff to look odd or ugly. So lol it's going to be hard with the limited amount of space in a wrangler. I would say an LJ wouldn't have nearly as much of a problem if you don't care to loose storage space. Just stack a couple on top of each other because I assume the LJ has more room in the back but never seen the inside of one so?
Unread 05-29-2008, 04:16 PM   #25
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I seem to remember some discussion of adding aux. fuel tanks under the driver side floor pan where many put an air tank. I'm not sure how much room is down there, I know cng tank is bigger than a small air tank. Actually, if someone made an aux tank to fit there, you could put the cng tank where the OEM tank was.
Unread 05-29-2008, 04:26 PM   #26
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, this is where I read it: http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=872127

Another option would be to maybe use a Genright stretch tank to make some extra room. Just throwing ideas out there...
Unread 05-29-2008, 04:55 PM   #27
ranmannm
2004 LJ Wrangler 

So lets see.... 2200 to do the change over. 2 years to see the cost benefit from the price of the kit(I drive 30 miles a day in town). and when I looked on their sight I have only one dealer in town. Can this be filled at any LP gas station. Like the ones that fill your Barb-B-Que?
I had a father-In-Law do this to his farm PU a while back. He really likes it but the tank took up a 1/4 of the bed.
ranmannm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 05:10 PM   #28
schu
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Are you talking about cng? Cng and lp is different, and you can also get a filling station in your house for cng since most homes use natural gas.
Unread 05-29-2008, 06:27 PM   #29
ranmannm
2004 LJ Wrangler 

No I thought they were one in the same. The father-in-law had LP in the back of his truck. I had to fill it a few times. I also use a line going to my BBQ grill rather than the LP tanks. I only had to drill the jets out a little to get it to work. So whats the difference isn't LP a mixture of Propane and Butane (depending on the temp and time a year)? I'm a idiot so be genital.
ranmannm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 07:47 PM   #30
schu
2005 TJ Wrangler 

natural gas is pumped straight from the ground and delivered to your house after being seperated from oil and the well head, and propane I think is a creation from natural gas. Not sure tho

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.