Control Arm Upgrade from stock; yes or no? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Control Arm Upgrade from stock; yes or no?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
MIA98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Control Arm Upgrade from stock; yes or no?

Hey guys! Need your opinions!

Finally getting to replace my current lift (Trailmaster 4" lift) that was installed by my Jeep TJ's previous owner back in 98'. Needless to say the current springs/shocks are DEAD but this is my toy so its hardly driven except around the block in its current condition. That's about to change!

I went ahead and purchased Currie Springs 4" and Rancho RS9000XL shocks. It has the stock control arms but before I go ahead and replace the springs and shocks I'm debating whether or not to invest in control arms while I'm at it. Note; I live in South Florida so I won't be doing any rock climbing so flexing capabilities are not really necessary. To be honest this Jeep will not be doing any major off-roading either. At one point I had considered JKS control arms or Currie Control Arms because i have been told they are one of the best but now debating whether or not the investment is necessary based on what I'm going to be using the Jeep for!

Your thoughts please!

Thanks

MIA98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
jeepinjeffrey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

For sure I would swap out the stock arms with a 4" lift! no question asked, and after all the research I did when looking at my control arm upgrade I would go Currie thats what I did
33" BFGodrich KM2's | Ion Alloy 174 Rims | 4.5 Rubicon Express Lift | Currie adjustable control Arms | Advanced Adaptors SYE | Tom woods rear CV diveshaft | 4.0L I-6 Engine | NV231 Command-Trac Transfer case | Dana 30 w/ Aussie Locker | Dana 35c Rear w/ Trac-Lok Limited slip | 3.73 | ORO LED Tail lights | JKS Adjustable Trackbars and Quicker Disconnects | Black Magic Brakes | ZJ V8 Tie rod Upgrade | Uniden 520XL CB/PA system

[B]My Build Thread:[/B]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2003-wrangler-sport-4-5-re-lift-33-bfg-km2s-never-ending-wish-list-1312377/"]Click Here[/URL]

[B]Some of my Favorite Sites:[/B]
[URL="http://www.4x4xplor.com/mods-TJ.html/"]4x4xplor.com[/URL]
[URL="]http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp/"]stu-offroad.com[/URL]
[URL="http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/"]Quadratec Knowledge Base[/URL]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]TJ tech bootcamp[/URL]

[B]Ask about my Custom Vinyl Decals![/B]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/new-vendor-custom-vinyl-decals-1385910//"]Click Here[/URL]
jeepinjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:09 AM   #3
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Doesn't sound like you really "need" them. Might be time to replace them just due to age though. A set of Currie's at $1000 sounds a little overkill for your application but would be incredibly nice. There are many other options out there, that would also work just fine for you, but since this is JF..... if it has anything other than a Johnny Joint on both ends it's garbage! Even for completely flat South Florida! Good luck with it though!
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:16 AM   #4
jbjarko
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gst95dsm View Post
Doesn't sound like you really "need" them. Might be time to replace them just due to age though. A set of Currie's at $1000 sounds a little overkill for your application but would be incredibly nice. There are many other options out there, that would also work just fine for you, but since this is JF..... if it has anything other than a Johnny Joint on both ends it's garbage! Even for completely flat South Florida! Good luck with it though!
Really, so 4" of lift and stock arms is ok? You don't need to adjust things at that lift height...? Adjustable arms aren't a must? Yah, you don't need them if you want your Jeep to be a vibrating mess. Your driveline would be so out of wack.
jbjarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:32 AM   #5
gst95dsm
Chop, Wheel and Rebuild..

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjarko View Post
Really, so 4" of lift and stock arms is ok? You don't need to adjust things at that lift height...? Adjustable arms aren't a must? Yah, you don't need them if you want your Jeep to be a vibrating mess. Your driveline would be so out of wack.
He's already running a 4in lift and didn't mention any of that?? Most low end 4inch lifts only include lower arms, stock length.

The ever popular lower end 4 inch lift with a t-case drop is probably all this guy will ever need for what he said the jeeps going to be used for.

Crazy I know...
gst95dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 01:00 AM   #6
igrok
2007 JK Wrangler 

Okay, so now you know that there are strong feelings for both sides of the debate. Let's consider the factors:

1. Flat Florida and limited wheeling = minimal articulation needed. (let's face it, the curbs at the mall just aren't what they used to be.)
2. 4" of lift DOES alter your drive line, so you will need to compensate with either a transfer case drop and/or adjustable control arms in order to adjust the pinion angle to compensate for the 4" of lift.

I would go ahead and consider the adjustable control arms to make sure your drive line is good, but I would not buy the most expensive CA's out there just because someone on JF says. (JeepinJeffrey also lives in Utah, not far from Moab, so he has a totally different application for his Jeep than you) You can get cheaper CA's that will do the job just as well for you as the more expensive ones and put the saved cash towards other upgrades to pimp your ride.

Function over form will always win out. Your Jeep will still operate very well, and you will be able to spend your hard earned cash on other things that will make your Jeep stand out.
Unread 04-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #7
MIA98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all your opinions! I like hearing all points of views!

My TJ has a transfer case drop installed by the previous owner/lift. I agree with Igrok's on "function over form" so will most likely consider changinging the control arms in the near future. I like doing things as best as possible. Other than Currie or JKS what other adjustable CA's do you recommend for my mall crawling application?

Another thing. I still have the original oem body mounts on there. Do those go bad after a while and need replacing? Do they sell the oem body mounts or should I consider replacing oem's with a 1" body lift? Note my TJ is a 98 with low miles for its age.

Steering stabilizers; I like the dual stabilizer look but have heard it can ruin your hydraulic steering pump? Fact or myth? I will be running 33's.

Any other suspension mods you guys recommend or parts you think need replacing?

And one more thing...I bought 33x12.5R17's for my wife's JK but she is now pregnant so will keep stock wheels/tires on there for now. I originally wanted to get 15's for my TJ because I like the more rubber less wheel look for the TJ's but considering using them for my TJ. What 17" wheels do you think will look good on 33's on a TJ? Any pics you can attach would be awesome!

Thanks again guys!
Unread 04-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #8
MIA98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Shock relocation brackets? Should I get some?
Unread 04-14-2012, 07:37 AM   #9
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

IMO, you're too tall for stock arms. I'll refrain from providing my opinion of what you should go with since all it will do is bring out the monkeys.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #10
cheapjeep06
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You can check into Rubicon Express Superflex arms. I just ordered a set or rear UCA's from mudflaps.com for $188. They also have adjustable arms with rubber bushings on both ends.
Don't do the dual ss setup. I have heard it can mess up steering due to too much resistance.
There are threads in the pics request forum for 33"s on 17" wheels.

Also, most 1" body lifts are pucks that sit on top of the existing body mount. There are options for full mount replacement, though.
cheapjeep06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #11
ForumKing
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA98TJ View Post
Shock relocation brackets? Should I get some?
Yes, I installed my 4" currie lift and needed a set since they were hitting.
ForumKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #12
mmini1990
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
IMO, you're too tall for stock arms. I'll refrain from providing my opinion of what you should go with since all it will do is bring out the monkeys.
LOL... to tall is right. you dont need a 1000$ currie set just somthing to get you bye w/o any drive line issues.

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/oth-build-my-03-rubi-1388971/[/url]

There are other ways of adding belly clearance without lifting your vehicle off the axles...like 40s, 42s, 44s, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike481
My jeep is magic...it can make all my money disappear.

that's not magic, that's standard operating procedure

"i dont understand why jeep made doors and tops an option, getting cought bare assed, pants around your ankels in a hail storm is half the fun of owning this *****"
mmini1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #13
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

There's a new option, Metalcloak Duroflex: A related thread.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #14
MIA98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

IronMan adjustable control arms any good? They seem reasonably priced!
Unread 04-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #15
drewtj05
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
There's a new option, Metalcloak Duroflex: A related thread.
I'm currently looking into these as well, I am still debating between these now and curries since my rig is going to be used more as a trail vehicle and not so much rock cralwer.
drewtj05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
control arms , lifts , shocks , tj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.