Constant HVAC issues - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Constant HVAC issues

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #16
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeggernaut View Post
keyword^^^^. it rhymes with stealership as in steal your money.

and getting oem might not be your best bet considering oem is the main issue. but there really isnt any aftermarket fan, switch, or resistor so we are all stuck unless you put relays.
I am interested in this relay setup ... I might aswell do that if I managed to get a cheap replacement blower!!! The cheapest I found here was $180

TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #17
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostone73 View Post
Is your relay installed in the "high" circuit only? I have a FSM and ive just about figured out how to build a relay bank of 4 to carry the load for all 4 speeds.
Fried blower switch fix - JeepsUnlimited.com Forums
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 02:12 PM   #18
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeggernaut View Post
For 100-125 bucks you can get a new blower motor, a switch, a resistor, and 4 relays with plugs. Take those 4 relays and splice them in between the switch and resistor as relays handle current and heat much better than a small under size wire that chrysler put in. Or let your jeep burn up and file a class action lawsuit against them and make them issue a recall to help the rest of us.
Are you taking about in line for the blower switch? I just got done battling this problem, at least the first time. I ended up with a melted switch. The one that melted in my jeep was the one that controls the AC, MAX A/C and vents, not the blower switch.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #19
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Are you taking about in line for the blower switch? I just got done battling this problem, at least the first time. I ended up with a melted switch. The one that melted in my jeep was the one that controls the AC, MAX A/C and vents, not the blower switch.
Look at the wiring going to the fan switch. You should find a light blue wire, 3rd speed and a brown wire, 4th speed. These are the 2 wires I spliced into to add the relays. Remember 1 relay for each speed you want to do. Once you fix this design flaw the issues with the mode switch will go away.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 10:19 PM   #20
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Look at the wiring going to the fan switch. You should find a light blue wire, 3rd speed and a brown wire, 4th speed. These are the 2 wires I spliced into to add the relays. Remember 1 relay for each speed you want to do. Once you fix this design flaw the issues with the mode switch will go away.
Don't those relays only protect the blower motor switch? Isn't the mode selector switch completely separate?
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 06:45 AM   #21
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
the blower motor is the big draw (and the speed resistors) so it happened you were on a/c at the time . but really what did it was the motor/resistor . you isolate this like an ignition circuit with a relay . four to be exact . one for each speed . there are probably selector modules of some sort too but relays are all i currently know about . i know a guy that could likely do this with two relays with multiple contacts but he aint me . guys a genius .the only way i've come up with for two relays still involves power thru the resistor and switch gear and isolating the motor . i dont think that's good enough . so for me it's four relays .
herbiehind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #22
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbiehind View Post
the blower motor is the big draw (and the speed resistors) so it happened you were on a/c at the time . but really what did it was the motor/resistor . you isolate this like an ignition circuit with a relay . four to be exact . one for each speed . there are probably selector modules of some sort too but relays are all i currently know about . i know a guy that could likely do this with two relays with multiple contacts but he aint me . guys a genius .the only way i've come up with for two relays still involves power thru the resistor and switch gear and isolating the motor . i dont think that's good enough . so for me it's four relays .
This will fix the issue with the AC/max AC switch, the one that is on the same control as the vaccum lines?

I was thinking about cutting a hole in the bottom below the switches and another where the ash tray sits and putting in a fan, do you think that would keep things cool enough not to melt?

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 05:32 PM   #23
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Dave View Post
Don't those relays only protect the blower motor switch? Isn't the mode selector switch completely separate?
They are involved through related circuits but I can't say for sure. But after adding the relays replacing the fan switch and the melting mode switch I no longer have had any issues what so ever. Even have done this on several other JEEPS with the same melting issues and none of them have had any problems.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2010, 06:12 PM   #24
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

zachjf posted the best diagram of the relay mod I have seen, look at post #33.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fr...w-pics-579700/

Tags
hvac , blower , failing , ac , a/c , control circuit , melt , melting , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.