Constant HVAC issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Constant HVAC issues

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
lostone73
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Constant HVAC issues

Ok, I've battled this for two years now on a 2000 TJ i've owned since new. Chrysler cannot for the life of them, design a HVAC blower/control circuit that lasts.

Im frustrated to the point of yanking the entire system out and replacing it with some sort of aftermarket hot rod air system.

Just this summer alone: Blower motor $300 , Resistor unit 2 x $60 , Fan speed switch 5 x $29, Dash sub harness $235. Thats just this summer!

Bottom line is it melts one part, you replace that, then it melts the next part down the road.

I've read every thread and post on the subject, mine just seems to like a steady diet of new parts.

I'm at my wits end with this, hell ive owned 12 other vehicles that NEVER needed a single HVAC blower component replaced.

Anything I'm missing here? All factory Mopar parts( I dont do Autozone, O'reilly stuff, never have)

I figured the brand new $300 motor would have dropped the current down as thats usually the source of high current draw.

Help,
Hot In Houston

lostone73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
lil-jmart13
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i have the same year 4cyl 5spd and quit working when i bought it then i ordered a new 3 dial assy. for like n130, no problems sense then and i leave my top off in the rain and use my blower/ heater daily. but shouldnt fuses blow if your melting parts?

MEAN GREEN
1997 JEEP TJ SAHARA - project mean green!

WTB: TJ HALF DOORS OR TUBE DOORS!!! PM ME!!

NIGHTCREW
-#35-
lil-jmart13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
lostone73
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil-jmart13 View Post
i have the same year 4cyl 5spd and quit working when i bought it then i ordered a new 3 dial assy. for like n130, no problems sense then and i leave my top off in the rain and use my blower/ heater daily. but shouldnt fuses blow if your melting parts?
Thanks for your input, It has never blown a single fuse
Unread 08-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

check your grounds on the whole circuits . you are pulling too many amps through those wires . the switch wires on many makes melt due to too much current where they should've used a relay . but for you to be doing this repeatedly has to be a problem . put an amp meter in series with the battery ; throw it on high and record the amps . i'll do same when i get mine outa the shop . we'll compare . wait ; 12v system ; anyone know what these draw normally ? my meter's probably only good for 10 amps and no longer have clamp on amp meter . i would check all your grounds for anything over 2 ohms . that'll add resistance and create heat . also check fuse size . and even check from fuse working your way to ground on each circuit for a ground where one should not be . a ground with a high ohm reading will not blow a fuse but will act as an additional load and heat stuff up quick .
herbiehind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 06:44 PM   #5
lostone73
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Great idea Herbiehind, I have a nice Amprobe DC ammeter. Ill gather some data.
Unread 08-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

No, the fuses rarely blow. The wires behind the controls are FAR too small for the current they carry (they get away with this due a loophole) and they overheat but don't short. Takes a short or a very large draw to blow a fuse. As long as everything is dead perfect it works...

BTW DC didn't design it - it's made by a company who only makes HVAC stuff (pretty sure it's Specific Climate Systems in Texas.) Same controls on about half of all late model cars (same system in my Ford and the one before that for example)
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same exact problem... I've just bought a replacement switch for the A/C fan from the dealership but haven't installed it yet. And the light switch also melted on me last month.

Checked everything and all connection seem to be in order. But I do have a theory though!! Guess where the replacement switches are made??? .... Yup, China

I am so mad at Chrysler for that right now.... This is the first part I buy that was made in China... Damn you Chrysler for ruining my Jeep
TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #8
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I used to go through this hassel although I put a stop to it after melting 3 fan speed switches. I installed a 40 amp relay in the circuit so that now the switch turns on the relay and it turns on the blower motor. So far it has worked and no more melt downs.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 08:13 AM   #9
lostone73
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
I used to go through this hassel although I put a stop to it after melting 3 fan speed switches. I installed a 40 amp relay in the circuit so that now the switch turns on the relay and it turns on the blower motor. So far it has worked and no more melt downs.

Is your relay installed in the "high" circuit only? I have a FSM and ive just about figured out how to build a relay bank of 4 to carry the load for all 4 speeds.
Unread 08-05-2010, 08:40 AM   #10
Joeggernaut
2000 TJ Wrangler 

For 100-125 bucks you can get a new blower motor, a switch, a resistor, and 4 relays with plugs. Take those 4 relays and splice them in between the switch and resistor as relays handle current and heat much better than a small under size wire that chrysler put in. Or let your jeep burn up and file a class action lawsuit against them and make them issue a recall to help the rest of us.
Joeggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 11:36 AM   #11
lostone73
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeggernaut View Post
For 100-125 bucks you can get a new blower motor, a switch, a resistor, and 4 relays with plugs. Take those 4 relays and splice them in between the switch and resistor as relays handle current and heat much better than a small under size wire that chrysler put in. Or let your jeep burn up and file a class action lawsuit against them and make them issue a recall to help the rest of us.
$100-$125 ? I cant find the motor alone for that price. Fill me in in on your source please
Unread 08-05-2010, 12:29 PM   #12
Warren
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostone73 View Post
$100-$125 ? I cant find the motor alone for that price. Fill me in in on your source please
TJ Blower Motor
Unread 08-05-2010, 12:50 PM   #13
Joeggernaut
2000 TJ Wrangler 

48 for blower motor shipped ebay
33+16 for resistor and switch from quadratec or w/e plus shipping
4 relays with plugs i forget site but about 20 bucks shipped

so like 120 for a permenant and reliable ac.
Unread 08-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #14
TeeJay00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
How can it be so cheap and still be an OEM part??? Dealership asked for $200+ just for the blower !!!
TeeJay00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #15
Joeggernaut
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay00 View Post
How can it be so cheap and still be an OEM part??? Dealership asked for $200+ just for the blower !!!
keyword^^^^. it rhymes with stealership as in steal your money.

and getting oem might not be your best bet considering oem is the main issue. but there really isnt any aftermarket fan, switch, or resistor so we are all stuck unless you put relays.

Tags
hvac , blower , failing , ac , a/c , control circuit , melt , melting , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.