Considering towing a popup with TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Considering towing a popup with TJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineIron Rock Offroad products - get them from Kolak!TERAFLEX JKU 2.5" Elite LCG Long FlexArm Lift Kit w/

Unread 04-05-2015, 03:47 PM   #1
fugitive
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Considering towing a popup with TJ

I am considering purchasing a smaller sized popup camper to tow with the TJ. Im thinking about 2000-2200 lbs loaded trailer. My 32rh with 4.56's and 35's puts me at 3000 rpm's at 65, so I'm thinking gear is ok. Aux tranny cooler is already installed along with tranny temp gauge. 3.5 inch lift with JK rubicon shocks and rear springs. I also have a set of STIFF Rough Country 4 inch rear springs which I can swap in in about 15 minutes for heavily loaded trips. I'll go ahead and pull the trigger on the Vanco Big Brake kit, as I've been considering doing this upgrade ever since I installed the 35's. Towing would be mostly flat land.

If those of you who tow would chime in, I would be interested in hearing what you say about towing at the upper limit of the TJ's capacity. Thanks and happy trails.

fugitive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2015, 04:00 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I tow a Fleetwood Taos pop-up behind my TJ but its loaded weight is probably only 1700-1800 lbs. It's about right for the TJ whose upper safe tow limit is 2,000 lbs. and I barely know it's back there. Make sure its trailer brakes are operative and connected to a brake controller you'll need to install into your TJ.
trailerfromrear.jpg

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2015, 04:09 PM   #3
BigRodney
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Your TJ is rated for 2000 pounds with an adequate trailer hitch, not a bumper stinger, and that's stock. In my opinion a lift and 35s make it a less capable tow rig. There is also a total GVW you should be aware of. Due to the short wheel base a jeep is a poor tow vehicle, things can go haywire in a hurry. If you do tow drive slow, drive safe.
BigRodney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2015, 04:23 PM   #4
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

My Jeep's trailer (link in my signature) is about 1100#s loaded. It has its own brakes, which I would not tow without it, even with a brake upgrade. It's nice to be able to engage the trailer's brakes independent if needed.

As Jerry mentioned, get a brake controller. I'm running the Tekonsha Prodigy P2 controller, and I installed the Mopar 7way wiring harness for an LJ.

As far as my TJ towing, I'm still running stock 3.73 gears with 32" MT/Rs, 3"+ lift, with a transmission cooler. Around the midwest, it tows great and I don't even know the trailer is behind me except on acceleration, and I can go easy 70-75 mph. Over the Colorado Rockies on passes last fall, the speed drops a lot (like 40 at the top of Eisenhower on I-70), but it does okay. Not sure about being at the weight limit you're talking about? I'd shed some weight personally. My box trailer has a roof top tent on it, and works great for the wife and I.

Any questions, let me know but my trailer thread talks a lot about my setup.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2015, 05:50 PM   #5
PhulesAu
2004 LJ Wrangler 

With the 35's and 4.56 gears it will go, but you won't be thrilled.
PhulesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2015, 06:13 PM   #6
BigRodney
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
My Jeep's trailer (link in my signature) is about 1100#s loaded. It has its own brakes, which I would not tow without it, even with a brake upgrade. It's nice to be able to engage the trailer's brakes independent if needed.

As Jerry mentioned, get a brake controller. I'm running the Tekonsha Prodigy P2 controller, and I installed the Mopar 7way wiring harness for an LJ.

As far as my TJ towing, I'm still running stock 3.73 gears with 32" MT/Rs, 3"+ lift, with a transmission cooler. Around the midwest, it tows great and I don't even know the trailer is behind me except on acceleration, and I can go easy 70-75 mph. Over the Colorado Rockies on passes last fall, the speed drops a lot (like 40 at the top of Eisenhower on I-70), but it does okay. Not sure about being at the weight limit you're talking about? I'd shed some weight personally. My box trailer has a roof top tent on it, and works great for the wife and I.

Any questions, let me know but my trailer thread talks a lot about my setup.
You tow at 70-75mph?
BigRodney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2015, 08:04 PM   #7
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhulesAu View Post
With the 35's and 4.56 gears it will go, but you won't be thrilled.
It will be fine, he already said he has the 3-speed automatic which will give him the RPMs needed.

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2015, 08:38 PM   #8
fugitive
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 on my F350 and really like it. If I end up getting a popup I will heed the advice and run trailer brakes and a good brake controller. Thanks.
fugitive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2015, 09:41 PM   #9
ravenworks
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Jerry and the others are right,a trailer brake system is a must.
I.U.O.E. - 18
ravenworks is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2015, 01:21 AM   #10
Greg_Volkman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had a Starcraft that I towed for years on both the D35 and the Ford 8.8. loaded it weighed 1900lbs. When I switched to my long arm suspension, it made a huge difference with stability (towed with a detroit rear locker, too). I wouldn't tow over 1900lbs, personally. Even with the disks F+R, trailer brakes are a must (towed in the mountains). My Jeep is the 3 spd auto, 35" MTR's, and my gears are 4.11's and I bought an all-aluminum radiator with internal tranny cooler and plumbed in an external cooler too. The 3spd was good at compression braking since it's final drive is geared so low. I would drive 60mph. Towed this setup from South Dakota, all across Colorado Rockies and to CA and all over the Sierra's. Very slow, very careful, but I am sure it caused wear and tear on my jeep over time.

Greg_Volkman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2015, 01:37 AM   #11
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

When pulling the 7 degree grades on the freeway, did you manually shift the transmission to 2nd gear? I know that I do and only keep the speed at about 45 mph. My Sport weighs more than most at 5,000 lbs...
Unread 04-06-2015, 01:57 AM   #12
Greg_Volkman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i'd have been happy being able to keep the speed at 45...many times i'd have to go slower. Going everywhere, slow...towing with my Jeep is kind of like being a bad fisherman...the extra time on your hands makes you a great philosopher.
Unread 04-06-2015, 02:07 AM   #13
Greg_Volkman
1998 TJ Wrangler 

a few more:

my jet ski was about 1200, fully fuelled, loaded, with trailer:

Unread 04-06-2015, 02:12 AM   #14
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I agree, getting to the destination is part of the adventure. Its not how fast you get there, its how much you enjoy the ride...
Unread 04-06-2015, 05:51 AM   #15
norville

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had an almost stock LJ with a manual and it towed my pop up ok. It braked fine, more than enough power. The only issue I had was on long stretches of the bad roads in the north east the I'd have to lower my speed to 60. The two vehicles would get into a bump cycle making for a scarey ride. The camper would lifton the hitch and just start bouncing. I cannot argue with I may have not had it loaded correctly. Or the springs were too soft?

Just be care full , and if not installed, add trailer brakes. Don't do what I did, and sell your jeep to buy a truck to tow a larger trailer. Keep the jeep and buy a yukon or suburban for towing duties ..

thanks

bob
norville is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.