Congo Cage Bracket Ripoff - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Congo Cage Bracket Ripoff

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 03-14-2011, 10:27 AM   #1
jacquehammer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Congo Cage Bracket Ripoff

I bought a used Kargo Master Congo Cage from Craigslist, sans the mounting brackets required to mount the cage to my '97 TJ. When I started searching for the brackets, I learned that NO ONE SELLS THEM. Kargo Master produces kits to mount their cage to other vehicles, but not Wranglers.

When I called Kargo Master, they offered to sell me the brackets, at $22.50 per bracket. On four corners, THAT IS TWICE WHAT THEY CHARGE FOR OTHER KITS! Why? Because they don't offer a kit. Which means they know they can get over on Wrangler owners.

I'm calling bu115h!t! There is no way Wrangler brackets cost twice as much to produce as other mounting brackets. When I asked the Kargo Master sales person about this, he said it didn't matter, that "we well thousands of brackets like this."

I'm amazed and incensed. Yes, I can afford the brackets. But I hate retailers and manufacturers who take their customers for granted. I'll probably order the brackets later today (unless someone has a set or can manufacture some cheaper), but I can't say I'm happy about it, or would recommend this company to anyone. I would encourage everyone to call their customer service line and demand an install kit in line with other mounting kit prices. Their number is 800-343-7486 Monday - Friday, 8:30a.m.-4:30p.m. Pacific Standard Time.

End Rant.

But to keep it technical, can anyone recommend an alternate way to mount the Kargo Master Congo Cage to a 1997 Jeep Wrangler? Or can anyone point to an alternate source?

[CENTER][B][FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="Black"]1997 Jeep Wrangler, 3.25" RC SL, 33" x 12.5" D!ck Cepek Crushers on 15" Black Rock Series 909 Type D's, Rokmen Mercenary Rock Sliders, and Flattie Fenders by Modern Classic Enterprises[/FONT][/B][/COLOR]
. . . . .
[I][B][FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="Red"]Even in nature, it's considered bad form for the parasite to devour the host.[/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/I]
. . . . .
[URL="http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f202/sinfactory/Triple%20X%20Jeep%20Show/"][FONT="Century Gothic"][B]Pics from the Second Annual Jeep Show at the Triple X Root Beer in Issaquah, WA, April 17, 2011.[/B][/FONT][/URL][/CENTER]
jacquehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 10:35 AM   #2
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

soo...you need the brackets to mount the support frame to the TJ, or you need the brackets to mount the cargo cage to the support frame?

assuming you're refering to the brackets to mount the cargo cage to the support frame...

that looks really easy to make with a welder, a hole saw & a grinder. Portable band saw would make life easier on the ears, but not necessary.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #3
jacquehammer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
soo...you need the brackets to mount the support frame to the TJ, or you need the brackets to mount the cargo cage to the support frame?
I need the brackets to mount the support frame to the TJ. Kargo Master offers these kits through 4WD to attach the cage to other vehicles for about $50 plus shipping.

I just realized I may have posted this to the wrong forum. If it needs to be moved, ok, I just don't know how.
[CENTER][B][FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="Black"]1997 Jeep Wrangler, 3.25" RC SL, 33" x 12.5" D!ck Cepek Crushers on 15" Black Rock Series 909 Type D's, Rokmen Mercenary Rock Sliders, and Flattie Fenders by Modern Classic Enterprises[/FONT][/B][/COLOR]
. . . . .
[I][B][FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="Red"]Even in nature, it's considered bad form for the parasite to devour the host.[/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/I]
. . . . .
[URL="http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f202/sinfactory/Triple%20X%20Jeep%20Show/"][FONT="Century Gothic"][B]Pics from the Second Annual Jeep Show at the Triple X Root Beer in Issaquah, WA, April 17, 2011.[/B][/FONT][/URL][/CENTER]
Unread 03-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquehammer View Post
I need the brackets to mount the support frame to the TJ. Kargo Master offers these kits through 4WD to attach the cage to other vehicles for about $50 plus shipping.

I just realized I may have posted this to the wrong forum. If it needs to be moved, ok, I just don't know how.
well, if you've got a welder and don't mind removing your windshield brackets... these don't seem all that hard to make.

I'd say just drill this into the body...don't mess with the taillight stuff.

Otherwise, less than $100 for all four brackets + hardware doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all. If you were local, and I fabricated them from scratch for you, I'd probably charge a lot more.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
55willystruck

I have to agree with the above. If that bothers you, here's a tip-do NOT mess up your factory hood hinges!!! Being tired and impatient, I had an "oops" moment and badly bent both my factory hood hinges. Tried hard to bend them back into shape but couldn't get the "right" shape they needed to be to get the hood to close right. $139 later, I had TWO new hood hinges from the dealer... Oh-and no hardware included with these. For your congo cage there, if you can't weld, less than $100 seems pretty good to me-especially considering the time it takes to track down all the bolts and build those silly little brackets when it's all said and done. Nobody works for free anymore-at least I don't. Often times with things like this even if you can build it yourself easy enough, the time it takes just makes it so much more worth it to buy the silly things when you get right down to it. Trust me, I don't like spending any more money on things like this than you do, but sometimes you just have to suck it up. Hood hinges-man what a stupid thing to replace!

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
jacquehammer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
well, if you've got a welder and don't mind removing your windshield brackets... these don't seem all that hard to make.

Otherwise, less than $100 for all four brackets + hardware doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all. If you were local, and I fabricated them from scratch for you, I'd probably charge a lot more.
I don't have a welder, or a shop, or even a decent garage. If I did, I would attempt to fab something.

And I wouldn't complain if other mounting kits were all priced about the same. What p!55es me off is that they're charging twice as much for TJ mounts than they do for other models. I think that's absurd, because there is no way they have twice as much in materials and labor.

If you built me a set, they'd be one-off custom mounts, and I'd expect to pay more. But Kargo Master mass produces these brackets, and "...sell thousands." Their prices should be in line with the other mounts they sell.
. . . . .
. . . . .
Unread 03-14-2011, 01:29 PM   #7
TJftw
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If you do decide to fab something somehow, do not copy the method they are using to connect the cage to the rear lights! Even without a load on the cage mine has started tearing the lights off the back! I might modify mine to mount to my rear bumper instead.
Black Jeep Society Member #398

*Jeep Wave*
TJftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
jacquehammer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJftw View Post
If you do decide to fab something somehow, do not copy the method they are using to connect the cage to the rear lights! Even without a load on the cage mine has started tearing the lights off the back! I might modify mine to mount to my rear bumper instead.
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. Someone suggested attaching it directly to the body in back; I am going to look at that option a little more closely.
. . . . .
. . . . .
Unread 03-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #9
55willystruck

Quote:
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. Someone suggested attaching it directly to the body in back; I am going to look at that option a little more closely.
For the intended purpose of this rack, I honestly don't know why this isn't the preferred mounting method. If you find a Jeep buddy that can fab stuff, I'd some some plate and through-bolt it to the top of the tub back there, where ever it wants to be. I've seen several that tore the lights off the back of the Jeep where it was mounted. Kind of a silly way to do this.

Best of Luck with your issue,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 06:03 AM   #10
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Bump- Kargo Master revisited
I'll be shelling out $35 per mount until further research finds a cheaper alterative.
BTW, jacquehammer,
How did it turn out for you?

[I]Errrrrrr[/I], Will complain else where - &y
Andywear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 07:09 AM   #11
duanewhatley
1999 WJ 

Quote:
And I wouldn't complain if other mounting kits were all priced about the same. What p!55es me off is that they're charging twice as much for TJ mounts than they do for other models. I think that's absurd, because there is no way they have twice as much in materials and labor.
If refering to the way their basket mounts to other jeep such as Cherokee or grand Cherokee then absolutely the brackets are gonna be more. Theres no roof to mount to so the brqckets have to mount lower on the body. Seems reasonable to me.
duanewhatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #12
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

$35 was to keep the purchase local.
I'm going with $22.50 from MFG. Less money, faster ship.

Unread 05-16-2011, 10:15 AM   #13
jacquehammer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andywear View Post
Bump- Kargo Master revisited
I'll be shelling out $35 per mount until further research finds a cheaper alterative.
BTW, jacquehammer,
How did it turn out for you?
I ended up buying them directly from Kargo Master for $22.50 each. Without a shop, fabricating my own was out of the question. I still think they're sticking it to Wrangler owners, but I had to do it. I guess the lesson is, if you buy a Kargo Master cage off Craigslist, be sure the price includes the brackets that mount the cage to the tub.
. . . . .
. . . . .
Unread 05-17-2011, 07:14 AM   #14
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Just ordered mine today ships out 2-3 days total 135.81.
Had to get all the hardware 4 brackets and 1 bolt kit.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.