Confused. Why 4" suspension lift plus body lift instead of taller suspension lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Confused. Why 4" suspension lift plus body lift instead of taller suspension lift?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
ezgoin
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Confused. Why 4" suspension lift plus body lift instead of taller suspension lift?

Ok , so here is the dilemma, We have a 2001 sahara stock 3 spd auto were getting ready to upgrade to 8.8 rear axle ,4.56 gears, front hp 30 with 4.56 gears. Plan on 35 " tires with a clayton 5.5" lift.as well as upgrading brakes and steering to currie components.
Where we get confused after hours on this forum is why do people run 4" lifts plus body lifts when you could just do the 5-5.5" suspension lift and run 35's? Is the change in center of gravity that much different, will we really notice the difference?
We wheel what ever comes our way rocks,mud ,trails ,will try just about anything at least once.But still drive it around town as well as highway.
Have heard nothing bad about the clayton and have decided we want a long arm for ride issues on highway.
We are torn between the 4" clayton and the 5.5"
So if I could get some reasons why people go one way or the other that would be great . Thanks

ezgoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

BL's open the door for other mods and most people run SA 4" lifts.Anything over 4" on SA's would ride like crap.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2011, 09:02 AM   #3
ezgoin
2004 TJ Wrangler 

What type of mods are you referring too that you can do with a bl that can't be done with a suspensiojn lift?
Unread 02-10-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman
BL's open the door for other mods.
X2! Getting that tummy tucked up tight one of the most effective mods out there.
Unread 02-10-2011, 09:05 AM   #5
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezgoin View Post
What type of mods are you referring too that you can do with a bl that can't be done with a suspensiojn lift?
Most TT's and it makes a MML slightly easier.Plus the BL doesn't make the driveline angles worse and gives you better clearance.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2011, 09:13 AM   #6
ohtenwillys
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you wanna talk center of gravity, a 5.5" isn't a good idea
ohtenwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2011, 09:13 AM   #7
bombman0513
2005 LJ Wrangler 

True,, the body lifts allow room for growth...Some say you need them for the MML, others not so much, mostly for the fan shroud etc. You can get into a larger fuel tank etc etc... I would do the 4" on the suspension, and go for the 1" BL just in case while you are under there to give yourself room with the 5". Put on some higher clearance fender flares, etc. 4" seems to be the magic number. If you do the 5.5 with the 1" you are pushing the limit on the lift and getting into other necessary mods to get your angles and geometry where it needs to be for best performance. (CV driveshaft, transfer case drop, MML, bump stops, longer shocks, coil spring retainers, sway bars, on and on it goes.. Good choice on the Currie components and LA lift. I love my antirock, currectlync, and Rock Krawler 5.5" LA lift (w/ all the mods to get everything else back into alignment). Longgg story short,,the higher you go,, the more $ you are looking at.
Unread 02-10-2011, 09:18 AM   #8
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You do realize there are no rules to this stuff, right? You don't NEED 4" of lift to run 35's. You definitely don't need 5.5". I run 35's on 2.5" of lift with a 1" body lift. I'll bet I have as much shock travel as you'll have with your 5.5" of lift, a lower center of gravity, and the same or more belly height. I use the body lift solely for tucking purposes. I run a flat transfer case skid plate and a tucked gas tank. 20" under the belly and 18" under the gas tank.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 05:06 PM   #9
ezgoin
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So has anybody ran the full aev 4" kit or just used different parts from it ?
Unread 02-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #10
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezgoin View Post
An Avenger supercharger!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #11
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
You do realize there are no rules to this stuff, right? You don't NEED 4" of lift to run 35's. You definitely don't need 5.5". I run 35's on 2.5" of lift with a 1" body lift. I'll bet I have as much shock travel as you'll have with your 5.5" of lift, a lower center of gravity, and the same or more belly height. I use the body lift solely for tucking purposes. I run a flat transfer case skid plate and a tucked gas tank. 20" under the belly and 18" under the gas tank.
"Lighten up Francis"!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #12
rondak46
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Gotta say, Thread titles like "confused" don't do it for me. Please put some info in your titles.
rondak46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #13
Talton
2004 TJ Wrangler 

get metalcloak fenders and run 35's
Talton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #14
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

A TJ with a 4" suspension lift plus a 1" body lift has a slightly lower center-of-gravity than a similar TJ with a 5" suspension lift yet it has the same tire clearance.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #15
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

And works well with 35" tires...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.