Confused on front and rear shock sizes (Old Man Emu) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Confused on front and rear shock sizes (Old Man Emu)

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 03-01-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
wayfarer79
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Confused on front and rear shock sizes (Old Man Emu)

I want to replace my shocks on both front and rear. I still have the originals on my TJ and have about 113,000 miles on it. I have chosen to go with OME. I see on Quadratec's website that they have the front ones for a 0" lift.....but don't see the matching rear with a 0" lift. I do not want to lift my Jeep. Do the front and rear run on different sizes? Am I missing something?

wayfarer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2014, 08:44 PM   #2
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

the rears will not fit with no lift.

if you don't want to run a lift on your jeep, find some other shocks. Bilstein is popular with lots of folks around here.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2014, 09:02 PM   #3
wayfarer79
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the answer. Why would a company sell a front shock with no lift and not a shock for the rear with no lift. I mean, that sounds straight retarded.....I mean who raises just the rear and not the front. I am not trying to build a dragster....
wayfarer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2014, 09:30 PM   #4
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer79 View Post
Thanks for the answer. Why would a company sell a front shock with no lift and not a shock for the rear with no lift. I mean, that sounds straight retarded.....I mean who raises just the rear and not the front. I am not trying to build a dragster....
their shocks are designed to fit with their lift springs. they are not intended to be run without a lift....the front just happens to have a 13.5" compressed length, which is the minimum you can fit without bumpstop extensions.

if you're looking at the shock specs on Quadratec or any other site, don't go by their lift/no-lift "specs". You want rear shocks with a compressed length of 12.25" max, and front shocks with a compressed length of 13.5" max. Stock is 8" travel.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.