Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

confused about tire size

1K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Dan9 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i have been pretty much all set as to my plans of my 2.5" lift and 32" tires for a while. i just came across this thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=738336
i didn't want to hijack it, so i figured i would start my own.
Anyway, like i said, 32", 2.5" lift. I dont understand why he cant do 32s and can i not puts 32s on my jeep for the same reasons? please tell me i can, cuz i am finally almost half way there in my savings. I have a 2003 wrangler x with 3.73 gears, auto. Thank you, and please give me some good news.

#2 ·
How wide a tire are you going to run? A 10.50 or a 11.50.

If you get the 10.50 you should be fine, you will have some rubbing at full lock with your steering but there is an easy fix for that with is here

#5 ·
its going to be 11.5. i am getting new rims though so that isnt what i am worried about. this is what i was referring to:
you've got a 42RLE. it will be a complete slug on the highway with anything larger than 30s. even 31s are noticable. also you will rub the rear spring perch and front control arms without changing your backspacing with either wheel spacers or different wheels. 31x10.50 is the largest you can go without rubbing, or losing sanity due to the retarded OD ratio.
from post number 10 and on. thanks

#6 ·
Do you have a manual or a automatic?

#10 ·
I have 32"x11.50" and the 3spd auto tranny. I have some power loss in acceleration, but overall i dont think its that bad. I set them under a 3" susp. lift and have no problems with clearance or rubbing. You should be fine.

#12 ·
I ran my 33X10.5 BFG ATs with my auto 4spd stock 3.73 gears & it is doable, little sluggy & may be turning OD on & off but many here still run 33s on stock gears, 32s would be better anyways. Now have 4.88 & enjoy more. Have BDS 3" SL., stock ravines. Planning on some Mud Tires 33X12.5 & new wheels (hopefully soon).

#13 ·
you will have no problem running 32s, just make shure when you get your new rim that you get at least 3.75 back spacing.also the 2.5 lift will fit 32s. im running 35s with 3.73 gears other than a little power loss it runs the speed limit with power to pass people.its not a race car your building anyways. just remember its your jeep you have to be happy with it. what people say on this forum is just suggestions not set in stone.have fun and good luck with your build.

#17 ·
ok, wow thanks for all the responses guys that makes me feel better. i still dont understand why everyone was so against that guy doing it though.they said something about his transmission or something. oh, and yes i am sure about 3.73 gears. i was trying to figure that out, and i got my build sheet from chrysler. i was very happy. anyway, thanks for all the help and if anyone could help me out about that other guy, it would be appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.