Completley Re-doing my 1997 wrangler tj 4 banger - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Completley Re-doing my 1997 wrangler tj 4 banger

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-12-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
xalexxromerox
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Completley Re-doing my 1997 wrangler tj 4 banger

Okay so i had a plan to do multiple things to my baby. Number one I wanted to do exhaust. What sounds the cleanest and the best with my 4 banger.?

Next I wanted to lift it. I was lookin at the RC 3.25 progressive lift. Good?

Then last i wanted tires. 33/12.5/15 tires is the size i want but i cant decide to choose whether i shoulg get the goodyear duratraks or the bfg A/T tko... help much appreciated

xalexxromerox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
chitownEMT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

What do you intend to do with your rig?

I can't speak on the exhaust or the RC lift, but I have 31x10.5 GY DuraTracs and they are phenomenal tires. Great on road characteristics in dry, wet, snowy, or icy conditions. Off road, they really shine. Big lugs and deep voids are great in mud. Also, if you air them down, the upper sidewall lugs become effective treads. Really an outstanding all around tire, especially for a DD/weekend warrior.

In the long run men hit only what they aim at. Therefore, though they should fail immediately, they had better aim at something high.
- Thoreau

In the depths of winter, I finally learned that there was, within me, an invincible summer.
- Albert Camus

[B]Disclaimer:[/B] The advice given on this forum is free; however, its value may be much less than you paid for it.
chitownEMT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
Tr00b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I redid a 1997 4 banger recently too.

Don't go over 31" without a regear if you do any sort of DD duty. (IMO)

Don't do an exhaust, I had mine break before the cat converter and it sounded like a sick rally car, stock and quiet with a new cat converter are what you need. Essentially, the loud exhaust makes you hate the lack of power more than you would with a regular exhaust, because the engine sounds tapped out. You shift earlier, more often, and I doubt theres a performance gain. That again is IMO. I love my quiet Jeep.

You cant go wrong with a set of BFG A/Ts. In theory, I like alot of Goodyear tires. I even went through college with the help of Goodyear scholarships, but they make some shabby, out of round, loud, fast wearing pieces of SHIP. I have two family members with Goodyear tires on vehicles and they are not happy with them. Tread carefully if you do buy them.
Tr00b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
chitownEMT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr00b View Post
In theory, I like alot of Goodyear tires, but they make some shabby, out of round, loud, fast wearing pieces of SHIP. Tread carefully if you do buy them.
Do you have any substantiating evidence to support this claim, besides two family members who are unhappy with their tires? Because that seems like a fairly biased statement. I would argue that many people, including lots of forum members here, are very, very satisfied with their Goodyear DuraTrac and MT/R tires.

In the long run men hit only what they aim at. Therefore, though they should fail immediately, they had better aim at something high.
- Thoreau

In the depths of winter, I finally learned that there was, within me, an invincible summer.
- Albert Camus

[B]Disclaimer:[/B] The advice given on this forum is free; however, its value may be much less than you paid for it.
Unread 10-12-2011, 10:00 PM   #5
Tr00b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownEMT View Post
Do you have any substantiating evidence to support this claim, besides two family members who are unhappy with their tires? Because that seems like a fairly biased statement. I would argue that many people, including lots of forum members here, are very, very satisfied with their Goodyear DuraTrac and MT/R tires.
All opinions are biased, good or bad. I almost purchased Duratrac tires for my Jeep as well, but after seeing the experience people close to me had with other models in the Goodyear lineup (not specifically the Duratrac or MT/R mind you) I decided I didn't want to deal with the same problems with my first set of new tires.

I apologize if my opinion came out in an unfortunate manner.
Tr00b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2011, 10:19 PM   #6
chitownEMT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I can't speak for the rest of the Goodyear lineup, but I, and many others, have had nothing but outstanding experiences with Duratracs. And MT/Rs are very highly rated.

Saying "tread carefully" if you buy Duratracs because you had problems with other Goodyears is like saying to be careful buying a Viper because you had problems with a Neon. Two items from the same brand can be very different products.

- Thoreau

- Albert Camus

Unread 10-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #7
xalexxromerox
1997 TJ Wrangler 

whats "DD" ? lol sorry new/young jeeper.
xalexxromerox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
chitownEMT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Daily driver.

- Thoreau

- Albert Camus

Unread 10-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #9
DezertTJ
Lost

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Get the duratracs. I'm running the Bfgs right now and absolutely hate them. Even in small amounts of water they hydroplane. I've only heard good things about the Goodyears and id absolutely love to get a hold of Mtr-Ks
Unread 10-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #10
flnbar
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xalexxromerox View Post
Okay so i had a plan to do multiple things to my baby. Number one I wanted to do exhaust. What sounds the cleanest and the best with my 4 banger.? take a look at this link,here

Next I wanted to lift it. I was lookin at the RC 3.25 progressive lift. Good?
Can't really comment on the 3.25". I do have the 3.75" (2.5 suspension +1.25 body). I like it, but I plan on doing a tummy tuck, etc down the road. RC isn't all that bad, from my standpoint. BUT,in hindsight, I wish I went with a company with better reputation. To elaborate, it's a rough ridinng suspension (to my standards), I ended up getting the 6cyl springs up front and it still didn't even out the jeep as advertised. The shocks definitely leave something to be desired. One good thing I will say is that it does flex VERY well. But this is my first TJ and my first lift so my experience is limited in that aspect.

Then last i wanted tires. 33/12.5/15 tires is the size i want but i cant decide to choose whether i shoulg get the goodyear duratraks or the bfg A/T tko... help much appreciated ]I would DEFINITELY go for the duratracs. I had a set of the 33s and they are amazing on road and did better than expected (for an a/t tire). They are great in the snow/ice, not so great in the thick mud, and do pretty well in rocks.
Unread 10-14-2011, 11:15 PM   #11
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have to disagree with whoever suggested don't do an exhaust. If you need it upgrade. I replaced my 99 2.5L rotten OEM exhaust with with a dynomax ultraflow muffler, and tailpipe and it sounds better, low tones not too loud, and I saw an increase in MPG's , not much but some.

Also I have had alot of success in the past with goodyear as well!, right now I have the 31" Bridgestone duelers revos I got during a sale and they've been great. Not as loud as the meaty MTR's I used to run, and they have a nice smooth ride.
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4 banger , exhaust , lift kits , tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.