Complete 2" Suspension Lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Complete 2" Suspension Lift

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-24-2014, 01:33 PM   #1
cgross220

Complete 2" Suspension Lift

Hey ya'll, I'm FINALLY getting ready to start building my 2002 TJ 2.4l DD, and a, starting with a 2" suspension lift. After looking at all the kits online, I've becomd confused as to what all I need to lift my Jeep to slide 32s in. I plan on having this car for a while and even though I'm on a tight budget I want to make sure and do it right. Right now, I know I need front and rear 2" shocks, rear sway bar links, rear track bar bracket, bump stops, and either front and rear coil spacers or just new coils. My first question is would it be better to have good 2" coil spacers or get new coils completely? Also, what size bump stops do I need? Would it be worth it to get the Zone adjustable bump stops? And finally, will regearing, SYE, and CV driveshaft be something to think about if I have the 2" installed on a Dana30 long term? (I'd like to upgrade axels but it's notnin my near future thanks to prices).

Thanks in advance!

cgross220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgross220 View Post
Hey ya'll, I'm FINALLY getting ready to start building my 2002 TJ 2.4l DD, and a, starting with a 2" suspension lift. After looking at all the kits online, I've becomd confused as to what all I need to lift my Jeep to slide 32s in. I plan on having this car for a while and even though I'm on a tight budget I want to make sure and do it right. Right now, I know I need front and rear 2" shocks, rear sway bar links, rear track bar bracket, bump stops, and either front and rear coil spacers or just new coils. My first question is would it be better to have good 2" coil spacers or get new coils completely? Also, what size bump stops do I need? Would it be worth it to get the Zone adjustable bump stops? And finally, will regearing, SYE, and CV driveshaft be something to think about if I have the 2" installed on a Dana30 long term? (I'd like to upgrade axels but it's notnin my near future thanks to prices).

Thanks in advance!
Is the Jeep going to continue being your DD? How often do you plan on wheeling it? If you're going to go offroad and you want that performance gain, then go with a set of coil springs. If you're staying on road, then save some money and go with the Rough Country 2" Spacer Kit with your shocks of choice. As far as bump stop extensions go, you'll want to cycle the suspension and take measurements to be 100% that you're getting the correct size. Adjustable bump stops aren't necessary.

You may not need a rear track bar bracket because you're not drastically changing the pinion angle out back. Which brings me to your next question, no, you do not need a SYE/CV drive shaft with 2" of lift. If you get closer to or over 4" of lift, then you'll want to get the SYE/CV and adjustable control arms out back, along with the angled track bar bracket.

For future reference, the SYE/CV goes on the transfer case (NP231) and is unrelated to the Dana 30, which is your front axle assembly.

Let me know what other questions you have or if you'd like a quote!

-Ryan
EARN UP TO $200 TOWARD YOUR NEXT PURCHASE!
PM me for our JeepForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2014, 02:26 PM   #3
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Personally I'd get yourself a nice set of new coils, shocks, rear track bar bracket. rear sway bar links, front disconnects(or extended links if you never disco), any decent kit should have extended bumpstops in it. No need to worry about SYE or CV drive shaft., With 32's you may or may not be satisfied with your onroad performance, so you may or may not want gears.
Unread 03-24-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
cgross220

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTRyan View Post
Is the Jeep going to continue being your DD? How often do you plan on wheeling it? If you're going to go offroad and you want that performance gain, then go with a set of coil springs. If you're staying on road, then save some money and go with the Rough Country 2" Spacer Kit with your shocks of choice. As far as bump stop extensions go, you'll want to cycle the suspension and take measurements to be 100% that you're getting the correct size. Adjustable bump stops aren't necessary.
It does have to stay my DD for now, but I will be able to get it offroad quite often. Also even though its a DD it wont have many (if any) highway time. What do you mean by cycling the suspension? I'm pretty new to all this with 0 mechanical experience I'm learning as I go
Unread 03-24-2014, 03:27 PM   #5
cgross220

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
Personally I'd get yourself a nice set of new coils, shocks, rear track bar bracket. rear sway bar links, front disconnects(or extended links if you never disco), any decent kit should have extended bumpstops in it. No need to worry about SYE or CV drive shaft., With 32's you may or may not be satisfied with your onroad performance, so you may or may not want gears.
If I do end up needing to regear what gears woukd I go for? 4.88s just seem like overkill on 32s...
Unread 03-24-2014, 04:38 PM   #6
NYGLT56
Your Local Body Builder
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Get some hi-line fenders and skip the lift, slap the 32s on, Keep drivability, no hassle.
Some links for ya; http://www.metalcloak.com/Jeep-Wrang...rmor-s/250.htm

http://www.rokmen.com/armor-protection/fenders.html
http://shop.poisonspyder.com/Jeep-TJ...Armor-s/62.htm
http://modernclassicenterprises.com/tj/

Oh, 32s will be fine with 3.07s or 3.73s, which ever you have. You can check on the rear diff cover tag.
Unread 03-24-2014, 08:06 PM   #7
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Hey ya'll, I'm FINALLY getting ready to start building my 2002 TJ 2.4l DD
The 2002 TJ has a 2.5L engine with the 4 cylinder engine.

Welcome to the forum...
Unread 03-24-2014, 08:24 PM   #8
cgross220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post

Welcome to the forum...
I've been claiming since the beginning I'm a newbie but thanks to the support, feel free to not reply if you're just gonna be an *** to a guy trying to learn.
Unread 03-24-2014, 10:09 PM   #9
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Welcome to the forum...
Quote:
I've been claiming since the beginning I'm a newbie but thanks to the support, feel free to not reply if you're just gonna be an *** to a guy trying to learn.
And what part of my response was not acceptable to you?

You posted that you have a 2.4L engine in your 2002 TJ, unless someone did an engine swap (probably not), I gave you some information to help you understand what you have.

Have you read this: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/co...rofile-402432/

Your response is not acceptable...
Unread 03-25-2014, 04:58 AM   #10
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgross220

He wasn't being an ***. He's just trying to help you out

I would definitely get new coils, there's no real reason not to. I run the 2" BDS coils and like them. OME coils are very popular as well as rough country 2.5" coils. If you're on a tight budget, I recommend getting some typo of hydro shock such as Skyjacker or Zone. You might as well get a rear track bar bracket as well and install it during the lift so you don't have to disconnect the track bar more than necessary. I got the OME one from northridge4x4 for $20. I'm not sure about rear swaybar links...I'm still running the stock ones

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2014, 06:26 AM   #11
Smeg
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Welcome to the forum...
Quote:
Wow.. just wow.

At any rate. I didn't see a budget listed.
Nice kit. There are also more complete kits on the site as well.
http://dpgoffroad.com/products/old-m...-wrangler-kit/
Unread 03-25-2014, 09:10 AM   #12
Realdog
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Most decent kits will come with everything you will need, although some do not include shocks. You will have better suspension artriculation (up and down movement when offroad) with new coils, where spacers will only raise your suspension. either is fine on the street, coils will give greater offroad performance. One thing to consider is that spacers are almost exact in height, a 2" spacer is 2 inches. Coils from a reputable company will likley give you more lift than is advertised, at least at first. Reasoning is that new coils generally settle some after they are installed for a while and some manufacturers just underrate their kits some. This is why there are differences in various brands of coil lift componants. One company includes a Track bar bracket, another does not. one company includes a transfer case drop kit, another does not. Case in point: I have the Teraflex 2T 2 inch kit. After 7 years, it still sits higher than 2 inches, 2.75" in the front and 2.6" in the back to be exact. It was well over 3 inches when installed, before settling. My kit came with rear a track bar bracket and transfer case drop kit, both of which were needed. Until recently, I had 32x11.5's on the stock 15x8 canyon rims with 1.25" spacers. Note that you do not necessarly need wheel spacers with 11.5" wide tires, you can adjust the steering stops (a simple job) if they rub.

Regarding gears, you will most likley notice a performance drop with a 32 inch tire. Some people can live with it, others can not. I regeared to 4.10s from the stock 3.73s as I was not willing to scarifice any performance...probably should have went a little steeper.

As was stated, you will not need a SYE with the lift you are planning.

My personal opinion, I'd go with a coil lift kit as opposed to a spacer budget boost. New, longer shocks if they did not come with the kit. A new stabalizer, if you still have the stock one on. I'd get a pair of front quick disconnects for your front sway bar. They will allow you to disconnect the sway bar for offroad...only for offroad. I'd regear only if I had it in the budget. If not, gears and a street-friendly locker in back would be next on my to do list.

Just a side note: You may want to consider a 3" lift from the get-go with 33x12.5 tires. A basic 3 inch system cost more than a 2 inch, but not that much more. 32x11.5 tires are beginning to become harder to find, some manufacturers have stopped making them all together (ProComp for instance). Lastly, you will most likley get the itch to be taller and bigger...happens to all of us. Just a thought.

Sorry for the long post, I was trying to be complete as you stated that your a newbie. Welcome, by the way.
Realdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2014, 10:02 AM   #13
Jeep_Tech
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Here you go bro works great and is super cheap. I have it on my 04 rubicon and love it.

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-sus...kit-652-3.html
Jeep_Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #14
cgross220

Thank ya'll; all good information. I have been looking more at the 3" lift and 33" wheel set up but the price of tires has scared me off a bit...(though 32s are hardly any better). I figured I'd just go for a 2" and raise the fenders that NYGLT56 mentioned or just get a small BL if I decide to upgrade to the 33s.
Unread 03-25-2014, 08:26 PM   #15
Realdog
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thank ya'll; all good information. I have been looking more at the 3" lift and 33" wheel set up but the price of tires has scared me off a bit...(though 32s are hardly any better). I figured I'd just go for a 2" and raise the fenders that NYGLT56 mentioned or just get a small BL if I decide to upgrade to the 33s.
That's a good plan and basically what I did, 2 inch with 32's, now have 33's and putting on a BL. If I feel like spending some more cash...and if I have it...I may go the fender route, but it would also have to pass the WAF.
Realdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.