Compass/Temp/Auto dim mirror swap (detailed with lots-o-pics) - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Compass/Temp/Auto dim mirror swap (detailed with lots-o-pics)

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 12-31-2011, 12:13 AM   #121
JAC52175

Hi, GJR thank you for you respond. I repinned already. when i got the mirror the wires in harness where on 1,2,3,4, and 5 6,7 were empty. by readying and looking on line , i found out that 6,7 are for temp. sensor, so i repinned that way . now i have 1,2 power and ground 6,7 temp. sensor. yes my mirror it single display. I havent installed my truck , just did some bench test make sure it works. Mirror turns on and temp. sensor its connect to mirror. but when i try to change from compass to temp. it doesnt read nothing. I been reading about the 177 and seem like there are different models. mine only have compass/mirror others have compass/temperature. but cause i saw mine it has the same conectors as the other i was thinking all i have to do its repinned for temp. sensor and be working .your mirror has compass/mirror or compass/temp. i keep trying to see if it works for temp. if not i have to get another i reallly like to have one with compass and temp.

thank you

JAC52175 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #122
GJR
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hi JAC52175,
It is the Compass/Temp button type. I used the compass button once when I was calibrating the compass. Other than that, I never use the buttons because it's a dual display.
GJR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #123
tbillion

Hi all!!

I normally wont join a forum for just one post but this post is one that i know alot about ... These mirrors use what is known as an industry standard NTC thermistor for temperature input. If you google NTC termistor you will get alot of graphs on how they are uses and what resistances represent what tempuratures.

these sensors can be found on the front of almost all Jeep Cherokees (next to the trans cooler) with the Chrysler OTIS system as well as intrepid and other Chrysler.

I have made an over head console that hooks to one of these mirrors that will allow you to read (in my case) trans fluid temp, coolant temp, cabin air temp, Diff fluid temp, ambiant air temp, oil temp, fuel temp, air temp across the radiator and after the radiator and intake air temp.

the trick is to add a static resistance in series with the tempurature sensor so that for every 2 real degrees you only display one allowing the display to show 398 degrees. I dont know what i did sithe the schematic and since this is my first post i cant post pictures anyway. This also allows you to connect the mirror to fluid contact sensors such as ects and other brass sensors one of my favorites because it is easy to use is the one from the dodge dakota 3.9 because it will thread into any 0.25 hole which is really easy to make in diff covers and the like.

Here is the chart for the ambient temp resistance... http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/3ubt...gan-cycle.html and here are ones for ECT and IAT http://www.exsense.net/en/shownews.asp?id=258 http://www.exsense.net/en/shownews.asp?id=256

if you wanted to be really hard core this is it. I have also gotten the compass and temp to work from an OTIS and i am working on a system to communicate the MPG and all that. but i just wanted to weigh in on this.

Last edited by tbillion; 01-20-2012 at 11:51 AM..
tbillion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #124
GJR
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't need temp readings on all of fluids but a MPG reading would be cool! Or maybe irritating........ seeing how little my gas goes might not help my zen!
GJR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #125
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Cool idea, but I already have the tranny temp gauge and the scangauge. Thanks though.

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

Society is no match for a stupid person.

"Life Is tough but it is tougher when you are stupid"

-John Wayne
dbbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #126
vixentd

I have the mirror from a 2007 Chevy Equinox that also has the onstar button. I am only interested in Compass and temperature. THe plug at the back has room for 16 wires.
The bottom of the plug has 7 wires. From right to left
light green
blank
blue
light green black strip
pink
white black stripe
pink

The nest row from right to left

blank
blank
blank
blank
mauve
green black stripe
brown
black

Anyone know which wires I can hook up to have the temperature. I have also taken the temp sensors off the vehicle. It is the newer style and the wires are brown and green with a black strip.

I have discovered this info for wiring but the 16 pin wire has two pink wires. From this site
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=42335

6 Green with black stripe (Temp sensor wire)
7 Brown (Temp sensor wire)
8 Black (ground)
9 Green (Reverse/backup signal wire)
13 Pink (ACC 12v + wire)

Would this mirror also be self dimming.

Any help appreciated

It is going to go in this ride
www.vixenrv.org

OK just discovered this after posting and thought would post for anyone else.
pin position of the plug on mirror for 16 pin
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=24486

Pin; Wire Color; Circuit No.; Function
1-4; --; --; Not Used
5; GRY; 1690; Automatic Day/Night Mirror Signal
6; LT GRN/BLK; 735; Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Signal
7; BRN; 718; Low Reference
8; BLK; 1350; Ground
9; LT GRN; 24; Backup Lamp Supply Voltage
10; --; --; Not Used
11; DK GRN/WHT; 2514; Keypad Signal (w/UE1)
12; LT GRN/BLK; 2515; Keypad Supply Voltage (w/UE1)
13; PNK; 639; Ignition 1 Voltage
14; YEL/BLK; 2516; Keypad Green LED Signal (w/UE1)
15; BRN/WHT; 2517; Keypad Red LED Signal (w/UE1)
16; PNK; 1691; Automatic Day/Night Mirror Low Reference

Looking at the back of the mirror pin position

Last edited by vixentd; 03-07-2012 at 10:39 PM..
vixentd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #127
N8N
1999 XJ Cherokee 

does anyone know what the terminals are in the 7-pin connector so that I can purchase some more of them (e.g. from Mouser, Digi-Key, etc.) without having to buy the $40 harness from Jeep? I have a connector with three wires inserted into it and would like to upgrade my mirror to something newer, but am trying to do it without throwing money at it. I do have a weatherpack type crimp tool.

thanks!
N8N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #128
N8N
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Follow-up, just to document this for anyone who's reading and still following.

Somehow by just brute force trying a combination of various search terms (e.g. "electrochromic," "compass," "temperature," "Cipa," "Donnelly," "Gentex" etc.) I eventually found this article

http://routingbyrumor.wordpress.com/...n-they-appear/

which gave me the clue I needed

this cut sheet

http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/pdf/eng/eVH.pdf

appears to have the correct connectors

I can say with near certainty (as close as I can get without having the parts in my hand) that the female connector body is a JST VHR-7N and the individual female sockets are either SVH-41T-P1.1 or SVH-21T-P1.1 (difference is range of wire gauges accepted)

available from Digi-Key

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...1181-ND/608622

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/prod...19-1-ND/608888

I ordered 20 of the connectors and one connector body just for ****s and giggles, total bill $4.11 shipped to my door. Suck it, Cipa! (OK, maybe I better have them in my hands and verified to work before proclaiming victory)

BTW apparently Cipa = Donnelly = MagnaDonnelly = Magna Mirror. The box that I received has both a Cipa and Donnelly part number on it, and the mirror itself has "Donnelly" cast into the body.

I doubt the connectors are the same for the newer 16-pin mirrors with more features (I guess those are likely OEM only anyway) that'd be another little research project. Usually I'm good at this kind of thing but this one apparently isn't really well documented on the interwebs.

Now why did I go to the trouble of researching this? Because Cipa sells the mirror with only power and temp wiring and I wanted to enable the map lights as dome lights and I also figured I might as well hook up the reverse disable, but their answer to my query was to buy another power harness for $50-60 which I find unacceptable. $5 plus some wire, I can deal with.

I would attach the instructions that I was sent by Cipa customer support (who to their credit did respond promptly and with apparently correct information) but it is a .pdf and is not text selectable.

nate
Unread 03-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #129
N8N
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Here is an OCR of the first page of the instructions, shamelessly stolen from another forum where someone's already been through this... this is what prompted the hunt for the connectors

PROCEDURE TO WIRE MIRROR TO FUNCTION AS COURTESY LAMPS
Applications: CIPA part numbers 36300, 36301, 36400, 36401, 36500, 36501
It is possible to connect mirror to your vehicle in a way that the map lamps will come on with the door courtesy lamps.

DOOR SWITCH CONNECTION
1. You will have to find the circuit that controls the door lamp function.
2. This circuit must go to ground when the door opens which is common on many cars but not all. My understanding is that the Corvette is positive 12 V when door is open. If courtesy lamp circuit is +12 Volts then a relay needs to be wired into the mirror harness.
3. A second power harness needs to be purchased (CIPA Part Number 36100WIRE).
4. The fused wire is stripped from the non fused ground wire. The ground lead is thrown away.
5. The fused lead is then tapped into the courtesy lamp control circuit using a wire T-Tap (Scotch Loc).
6. The wire is routed up around the instrument panel, up the ‘A’ pillar to the mirror.
7. The door control wire is connected to pin position 6 on the connector that plugs into the mirror.

The power harness, T-Tap and wire ties should be purchased through your local retailer or
CIPAUSA.com.
CIPA Part Number 36100WIRE contains:
1 Power Harness (Power and ground wires)
1 T-Tap
5 wire ties

We do not offer a ready made relay to make the mirror work with positive door switch systems.
Refer to form “How to add a relay to + 12 V courtesy circuit for mirror light courtesy function"
Pin Function
1 Ignition controlled 12 volts
2 Ground
3 Reverse Inhibit (optional use).
4 Temperature wire 1 (PN 36500 and 36501 only)
5 Temperature wire 2 (PN 36500 and 36501 only)
6 Ground when door is open. Door switch for courtesy light function. (Optional)
7 Ignition controlled 12 V or to battery if courtesy light function is desired.

POWER CONNECTION
Pin 7 needs to go to a constant 12 volt source to have the map lamps function in the courtesy mode when the ignition is turned off. The power harness that comes with your mirror kit has a jumper wire between pin 1 and pin 7 to reduce the number of standard hook ups required.
To wire pin 7 to constant 12 volts;
1. Obtain fused power wire PN 36100WIRE from CIPA.
2. Remove terminal from pin location 7 in the connector.
3. Tape over or cut off short jumper wire that goes from pin 1 to pin 7. Leave pin 1 connected to ignition controlled power source.
4. Locate a 12 volt constant power source. Best if power source is on the battery save circuit so if lights are left on they will shut off after 15 minutes when the car is not turned on.
5. The fused wire is stripped from the non fused ground wire. The ground lead is thrown away.
6. The fused lead is then tapped into the power circuit using a wire T-Tap (Scotch Loc).
7. Run the power wire from the source to the mirror following the other installed mirror wiring.
8. Insert the terminal into position 7 of the black connector.
9. Plug connector into mirror.
10. Test courtesy function of mirror.

MY NOTE: the post that I copied this from referenced an eBay source for the harnesses, but they are apparently no longer currently selling them. Searching for the Cipa "36100Wire" part gave me sticker shock. I should have to pay $50-60 to hook up a $160 (through Amazon, apparently $300+ list) mirror? I DO NOT THINK SO. Most junkyards that I patronize don't like people cutting up wiring harnesses so I was looking for a more elegant solution that didn't involve lots of driving and/or paying $40 for a harness that I'm just going to cut up (I have an XJ) from the Jeep dealer. Hope these posts help someone.
Unread 03-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #130
N8N
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I can now confirm that the following will work:

DigiKey part no. 455-1181-ND Mfr. PN VHR-7N "Conn Housing VH 7Pos 3.96MM WHT" is IDENTICAL to the connector that came with my Cipa/Donnelly mirror except that it is white and not black. 21 cents apiece.

DigiKey PN 455-1310-1-ND Mfr. PN SVH-41T-P1.1 "Conn Term Crimp VH 16-20AWG Tin" is the matching connector to the above housing. I did verify that it would push onto the header pin on my mirror. 6.8 cents apiece. You will need a weatherpack or "W" type crimp tool to properly install these.

My total for one connector (just for curiosity's sake) and 20 terminals was $4.11 including tax and shipping (USPS 1st class) I ordered them Friday evening and they were waiting for me when I got home today. Booyah. Beats the hell out of trying to find a junkyard that will let you snip one or paying the exorbitant cost for a new harness. Posted for the benefit of cheap illegitimate children. (I resemble that remark, although my parents were in fact married...)
Unread 01-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #131
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Great write-up. It helped a lot.
Unread 02-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #132
RobSheaTJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for this. Just installed mine. Came out good. Got a faulty temp sensor so I'll be getting a new one. Still need to hide the wires better too but I'm very happy with it.

()_)()_)-o-)_)
RobSheaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #133
Line58
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSheaTJ View Post
Thanks for this. Just installed mine. Came out good. Got a faulty temp sensor so I'll be getting a new one. Still need to hide the wires better too but I'm very happy with it.

What did you use for the + source? I have my mirror mounted and the wiring ran through the windshield frame (like the clean look of that), however I still need to wire it up. I was thinking about using the fuse intercept and pulling power directly from the fuse box.
Unread 02-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #134
Line58
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post
I can now confirm that the following will work:

DigiKey part no. 455-1181-ND Mfr. PN VHR-7N "Conn Housing VH 7Pos 3.96MM WHT" is IDENTICAL to the connector that came with my Cipa/Donnelly mirror except that it is white and not black. 21 cents apiece.

DigiKey PN 455-1310-1-ND Mfr. PN SVH-41T-P1.1 "Conn Term Crimp VH 16-20AWG Tin" is the matching connector to the above housing. I did verify that it would push onto the header pin on my mirror. 6.8 cents apiece. You will need a weatherpack or "W" type crimp tool to properly install these.

My total for one connector (just for curiosity's sake) and 20 terminals was $4.11 including tax and shipping (USPS 1st class) I ordered them Friday evening and they were waiting for me when I got home today. Booyah. Beats the hell out of trying to find a junkyard that will let you snip one or paying the exorbitant cost for a new harness. Posted for the benefit of cheap illegitimate children. (I resemble that remark, although my parents were in fact married...)
Thanks for that information. I've been wanting to replace the pins that came with the mirror's harness (the wires near the pins are in tough shape), but hadn't been able to find any pins that would fit the mirror's connector. Just placed my order.
Unread 02-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #135
HemiTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info! A future mod for me.
HemiTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.