Compass/Temp/Auto dim mirror swap (detailed with lots-o-pics) - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Compass/Temp/Auto dim mirror swap (detailed with lots-o-pics)

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 08-24-2011, 06:17 PM   #106
thewoodscrew
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I had to re-pin the factory mirror harness in to use the dual display GNTX 177 from a 2001 Chevy truck. I used the wire diagram on the first page and the factory service manual.

According to the factory service manual:

Black/Light Blue - Temp sensor ground
Violet/Light Green - Temp sensor
Pink/White - Constant 12v
Dark Blue/White - Fused ignition
Black/Light Green - Ground
Violet/Black - Back-up Lamp Feed
Yellow - Courtesy Lamp

I changed the order to this:

1 - dark blue/white
2 - black/light green
3 - violet/black
4 - pink/white (no power)
5 - yellow (no power)
6 - violet/light green
7 - black/light blue

The Pink/White and Yellow wires are not used, so I disconnected them from the dash harness so they wouldn't be powered.

First remove the white clip on the connector

Use a eyeglass flathead screwdriver, pull up on little tab and remove the Pink and the Yellow wires.

Reconnect white clip and reconnect wire harness

It works like a champ

Thats not an oil leak, it's just marking its territory

White Jeep Club Member #8
thewoodscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 07:29 AM   #107
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd1 View Post
Have you thought about getting the plastic header piece from a later TJ and mounting it in yours?
I looked at that - the side A-pillar trims look like they shouldn't be too much of a problem but the top channel requires some pretty precise slotted holes in the windshield frame. I decided to take the easier option - and ordered an S-Pod kit from 4x4spod - not only looks great but functional too and really cleaned up all my wiring. I've got some scrap A pillar trims I'm going to try and put on and see how that works out without the top center piece. Will post pictures when I've done it.

And for anyone that still needs it - here's a direct link to the mirror write-up.

http://oman4x4.com/mirror.htm

These days I'm now running a Rear Camera Display auto dimming compass mirror (but no homelink) - I no longer have the temperature read out but that's okay I don't really miss it. The camera display feature is way more useful. Highly recommended.

http://www.mitocorp.com/auto-dimming...a-display.html

If you search around, you might find a few places selling for less than the MSRP listed on mitocorp - I think Mito is more in to wholesale distribution and would encourage you to buy from one of their distributors closer to you - but you can read up there to learn more about it. It's not cheap but it's very good quality... lots of cheap imitations out there with screens but you can see they're just crap quality in comparison. Camera is mounted in my spare wheel center cap.
Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2011, 07:31 AM   #108
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Also - one thing I only discovered when moving to the rear camera display version - when you have the reverse light connected the auto-dimming function automatically goes off, giving you full brightness when the Jeep is in reverse. It's worth taking the time to connect that on just the regular auto-dimming mirrors too.
Unread 08-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #109
GJR
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep View Post
Also - one thing I only discovered when moving to the rear camera display version - when you have the reverse light connected the auto-dimming function automatically goes off, giving you full brightness when the Jeep is in reverse. It's worth taking the time to connect that on just the regular auto-dimming mirrors too.
Where are you hooking up the reverse wire too? Right now I just have mine grounded but I wanted to do this, just didn't have time to figure it out.
GJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 02:24 PM   #110
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Directly to the reverse lights... I don't know if there's any wire in the dash area that has 12V+ when the Jeep is in reverse... but I have my camera powered off the reverse lights and then feed the trigger wire along with the video signal all the way up to the mirror.
Unread 08-30-2011, 04:07 PM   #111
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJR View Post
Where are you hooking up the reverse wire too? Right now I just have mine grounded but I wanted to do this, just didn't have time to figure it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep View Post
Directly to the reverse lights... I don't know if there's any wire in the dash area that has 12V+ when the Jeep is in reverse... but I have my camera powered off the reverse lights and then feed the trigger wire along with the video signal all the way up to the mirror.
Unless you have the harness pre-wired in your Jeep going up to the top of the dash. Then the reverse wire is already there for you.

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

Society is no match for a stupid person.

"Life Is tough but it is tougher when you are stupid"

-John Wayne
dbbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2011, 06:41 PM   #112
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

how hard is it to run the wire thought the windshield frame?
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #113
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My display went blank the other day, but my green LED was still on, so I knew it still had power...

Toyota Tacoma 05+ have a known issue with their compass/temp display in the overhead console. The dealer will replace your console to the tune of $200-$400 or you could re-solder a resistor on it for free. Guess what? These mirrors have that issue too. When I took mine apart, I found a surface-mount resistor that must have become too hot and loosened up. I re-soldered it and works great again. The pic below is of the resistor. Hard to tell, but the jagged line on the left is the bad solder joint. I re-did all of them just for grins.
Do you have some more info about this?
Unread 09-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #114
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_f150 View Post
Do you have some more info about this?
About the problem with Toyota or the Jeep?

Or see my post #81

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

-John Wayne
Unread 09-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #115
midnight_f150
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
About the problem with Toyota or the Jeep?

Or see my post #81
I thought you was using a chevy mirror. The one I bought from the junkyard was doing the same thing you was talking about after a few mins when we tested it.
Unread 09-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #116
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I am using a GM mirror. However, my Toyota temp/compass display in my Tacoma went blank and for the sasme reason as stated in #81.

-John Wayne
Unread 09-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #117
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I just knocked this project out today. The hardest part of the search was the temp sensor. All of the donor vehicles at my local u-pull-it seem to have the front clip missing, but luckily a new GMC Yukon showed up as I was searching and the sensor was exposed.

I searched for the connector for the mirror in my jeep for a good hour or two. I remembered spotting a spare connector in the dash a while back while tearing out my old alarm, but for some reason couldn't find it this time. So I traced the already installed temp sensor wires, but they went to the gauge cluster. Then I traced the connector on the driver's side and it to went to the cluster. So I just ran new wires from the donor sensor to the mirror under the windshield surround and I now have a new temp/compass/ auto dim mirror for $3... Thanks for the write-up and info guys.
Unread 10-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #118
Slacksuperstar
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Subscribed I deff plan on doing this. My rearview is cracked anyway.
Green Jeep Member #592
Slacksuperstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #119
JAC52175

gntx-177 rear view mirror

Hi, im new here hope you can help me. I just got a GNTX-177 rear view mirror. Its a 7 wire connector but only has 5 wires. 1,2,3,4,5. 6,7 are emty.its a single line. on front of mirror (bottom center) it has compass/mirror. when i hook up the mirror works . i press the mirror and it start to dim. the compass works too. but i was thinking that when i press the compas it change from compass to temperature. but it doesnt. when i press compass it just stay black. I forgot to mantion i install some wires 6,7 for temperature sensor . but still not temperatue reading.I was thinking that it has the connector for temperature sensor all ws need it was to set wires there and be ok, any body know if this unit can read compass and whe press compass it reads temperature thank you for your help.

Jaime.
JAC52175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 08:14 AM   #120
GJR
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hi Jamie,
I'm thinking in short, your harness needs to be repinned. When you say "single line", are you meaning single display vs. dual display? If so, the original poster did exactly what you trying to do. Also, and not to be a jerk, you did install a temp sensor by the grill, right? That would give you some trouble in your temp reading if you didn't. I did this mod with a 177 dual display earlier this year and its been working great, you'll love it when its done.
GJR is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.