Compass/Temp/Auto dim mirror swap (detailed with lots-o-pics) - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Compass/Temp/Auto dim mirror swap (detailed with lots-o-pics)

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-20-2011, 08:12 AM   #91
99_TJ_Wyoming
1999 TJ Wrangler 

for anyone who cant find one at a salvage yard, or, if like me, the closest salvage yard is 325 miles away, I got mine at amazon, a CIPA with compass, temp, auto darkening and map lights - http://www.amazon.com/CIPA-36500-Dimming-Rearview-Temperature/dp/B00029WSX6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1311171068&sr=8-2

99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2011, 04:52 PM   #92
GJR
2006 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Slithering_Joe;11886953]You may need to hunt on the internet to verify the pin diagram for your application.

I was afraid of that but it wasn't as bad as I thought. Found some info on a forum called 12volt.com or something like that. Well see if this info turns out to be good.
GJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2011, 02:41 PM   #93
GJR
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I ran the wiring harness from the mirror to the fuse box behind the glove compartment. Fuses 19 and 20 are labeled "spare fuses". Can I run the mirror through one of those or can I run it through any empty location and how do I go about doing that? I understand that the older TJ's have "accessory wire"s installed from the factory to use but mine being an '06 doesn't have that nice little feature.
Also, I have the temp sensor already installed from the factory. Does anyone know where its wiring harness goes to? I'm thinking that if I find the connecting plug, the plug upstream will have empty ports where the mirror wires would be if it was factory installed. I would just plug the wires from the #6 & 7 pins into those ports and it should work. Right?
Unread 07-25-2011, 07:33 PM   #94
jeffjeep1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you have the sensor located on the left side of the grill openings, the other end will terminate under the trim piece just behind the windshield (the first pwice to remove if you are going to remove the center panel). There is a plug there for an additional connecting harness. I bought that harness and cut of the end at the mirror and grafted on the connector for the purchased mirror. The factory harness tucks nicely behind the passenger side trim along the winshield frame. A homemade harness would work too, but I had that particular harness left over from another project.
Heidi - Golden Retriever/Jeep Dog
jeffjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 11:22 PM   #95
GJR
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjeep1 View Post
If you have the sensor located on the left side of the grill openings, the other end will terminate under the trim piece just behind the windshield (the first pwice to remove if you are going to remove the center panel). T
With my jeep being the "X" model, that harness is absent from my jeep, I already checked. I guess I should ask where that harness originates from. I followed the sensor wires to the firewall then ran out of time. I need to get under the dash and see where they go to next.
Unread 08-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #96
GJR
2006 TJ Wrangler 

O.K. The only empty buss in the fuse panel that had a switched lead to it was the rear wiper buss. Sense I have a soft top and no real plans to pick up a hard top, that's the buss I used. I picked up a terminal to plug into the accessory side of the #6 buss, grounded under the speaker and it worked. To answer my own question, the dual display and the single display have identical pinning in the back of the mirror.
I have yet to find where the temp sensor wires terminate so my temp display reads "OC", just like the OP said it would. Does anybody know where the harness (that I don't have) that's tucked under the dashboard trim plugs into? If I find that, I bet I find the end of the temp sensor wires. My guess would be somewhere by the steering column. Can the folks that have had the dash board taken apart shed some light on this?
Thanks. By-the-way, how do you post pics on this forum? Sorry, I know it's a dum a** question.
Unread 08-04-2011, 10:27 PM   #97
N3KRV
1995 ZJ 

I got the auto dimming mirror for my jeep for 5.00! and I found the pigtail to plug it in the light is a dim green.was wondering if that auto dimmer mirror has the temp and composs (sp) function?
N3KRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 08:28 AM   #98
GJR
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3KRV View Post
I got the auto dimming mirror for my jeep for 5.00! and I found the pigtail to plug it in the light is a dim green.was wondering if that auto dimmer mirror has the temp and composs (sp) function?
Nice price! If it has the comp/temp features, it should have the respective buttons along the bottom. Also, the pigtail will have 7 wires, if it's the GNTX-177 model.
Unread 08-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #99
N3KRV
1995 ZJ 

oh o.k. it don't have the buttons along the bottom of the mirror, and the pigtail I have is the one that was hidden up in the headliner, but the mirror has a place for another wire to be plugged in , later today I will go and see if I can find the mirror model number.
Thanks
Paul
Unread 08-06-2011, 11:52 PM   #100
scot68
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_TJ_Wyoming View Post
for anyone who cant find one at a salvage yard, or, if like me, the closest salvage yard is 325 miles away, I got mine at amazon, a CIPA with compass, temp, auto darkening and map lights - http://www.amazon.com/CIPA-36500-Dim...1171068&sr=8-2
99 TJ Wyoming, How is this working out for you? Do you think the quality is as good (accurate) as an OEM unit? Was the install much different than retrofitting a OEM unit based on the discription above?
scot68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 07:37 PM   #101
NickRicci
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ok I got the mirror for 16 bucks cool deal but in the process of install my stock mirror bracket glued to the jeep was half round shaped and the GM mirror excepted a wedge shaped bracket so I took the old one off and "tried" to add the wedge shape in its place. Well pushing on the windshield to set the glue is a bad idea, I broke the whole windshield. So now my mirror is going to cost 16.00+ 110.00 bummer but whatever. My question is this I was under the impression that the GM mirror and stock jeep mirror had the same shaped mount? Mine are different can someone tell me what shape or even better take a picture of their stock mount thats glued to their windshield? Because the guy on the phone thats coming to replace the glass tomorrow was like " I don't understand why its not stock....blah blah blah...we buy the windshields with the factory mounts already attached blah blah blah I don't understand...
NickRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #102
Dentedvw
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJR View Post
Does anybody know where the harness (that I don't have) that's tucked under the dashboard trim plugs into? If I find that, I bet I find the end of the temp sensor wires. My guess would be somewhere by the steering column. Can the folks that have had the dash board taken apart shed some light on this?
I heard it ends up by the radiator, my temp sensor is down on the bottom, on the drivers side, between the radiator and the grille.
Unread 08-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #103
GJR
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentedvw View Post
I heard it ends up by the radiator, my temp sensor is down on the bottom, on the drivers side, between the radiator and the grille.
No, I was talking about the harness under the trim piece by the windshield. I don't have that one and I was wondering where the end (that doesn't plug into the mirrors harness) plugs into.

I have a temp sensor by the grill and I tried to follow those wires and lost them after they went behind the inst. cluster. So then I thought I was just going to unplug the factory harness and make my own harness to plug into the factory sensor but when I did that, it threw a code. Researching this, I found that the factory temp sensor is also providing the CEM with info that allows it to provide appropriate air/fuel mixtures. I didn't know that and I've decided that messing with the factory harness is going to cause me more trouble than I can handle. So sense this mirror came out of a 2002 Yukon, I'm going to Chevrolet and getting the appropriate sensor and hopefully the pigtail. It doesn't look like I'll ever get to the salvage yard to hunt one down.
Unread 08-11-2011, 03:22 AM   #104
N3KRV
1995 ZJ 

I'm not sure where the pigtail of the temp sensor os, BUT the pigtail for the mirror power is under the headliner at the front endge by the windshield where the mirror os mounted, and to answer the other persons question my mirror mount had a round top, the flat side is facing downward towards the dash. I have a question what is the part called where the headlight adjusters are mounted in called and is it the entire part under the grill or is it in parts? like maybe 3 partleft, right and middle?s?? when I was changing the headlight shells on my Laredo I found the passenger side was all shatterd and unless I can just get the one side, I don't feel like taking the whole front grill area off, I'll have to go and do some creative engeeneering and make up a bracket to screw the parking light and turn signal lights to, I know they were trying to cut down on weight but geesh they could have left that part metal.
Unread 08-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #105
GJR
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Chevrolet couldn't help me if I didn't have a vin# and they didn't have pigtail for this application. So I made time to get to the salvage yard and picked up 6 sensors. If you reference the sensor pic from the OP on page 1, I picked up 2 of the "B" style, 3 of the "C" style and 1 that was similar to the "B" style but not the "A" style. Apparently, the "C" style give more acurate readings but I found that all 3 of mine read very high (120, 121, and 117). The weather channel says its 82, my home thermometer says 84 and my wife's van says 86. My "B" style sensors read 88 and 86 while the "other" sensor read 75. I'm using the the "B" style that read 86.
So I guess my point is if you pick one up at the salvage yard, get more than one or two and stick with the "A" or "B" style. I don't know whats up with the "C" style. I bet they're not compatable with the GTNX-177 because all three were high which makes me think something else is going on other than I got 3 bad sensors.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.