Compass/Temp/Auto dim mirror swap (detailed with lots-o-pics) - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Compass/Temp/Auto dim mirror swap (detailed with lots-o-pics)

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 02-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #76
Dentedvw
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I picked up a Gentex 177 today, but the wiring is different. It has similar colors, but in different places. I googled the wiring diagram, and it seemed that there is at least four different combinations, all using the same mirror part number. Sheesh!
I guess I will have to guess!
I pulled the temp sensor too, at least, I hope it was. It didn't look like any of them pictured so far.

Unread 02-15-2011, 11:20 AM   #77
Dentedvw
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I am starting to suspect I got the wrong one. Mine has the two buttons on the front, and they say Compass and Mirror. I think this might mean it doesn't display the temperature. I will wire it up anyway, and see what happens.
So, what is this thing I pulled off the car? Heh!

I took the mirror apart, to check out the pins, because I don't know for sure how it hooks up.

I see this, assuming that Pin1 is the closest to the stalk, and in parenthesis is my further assumptions of their function, based upon what I have been reading.
Pin--Label--Function
Pin1 I (12V)
Pin2 G (GND)
Pin3 R (reverse inhibit?)
Pin4 O+ (outside mirror)
Pin5 O- (outside mirror)
Pin6 T+ (temp)
Pin7 T- (temp)

Then, I try to plug the connector in. Ah, what? I must have gotten the wrong one, somehow. DOH! It doesn't even fit the back of the mirror. Huh. Well, that's okay I guess, I can take the connector apart, and use only the metal bits, and glue them to a piece of an old credit card.
Unread 02-15-2011, 01:25 PM   #78
Dentedvw
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I am almost done, just warming up my hands. C'mon spring!

Does anyone know what colors go to the sensor harness on the front of the Jeep? I will report back once I figure it out, if not. My 2004 Rubicon had the wires hidden under the defrost vent trim, as some others had.
Unread 02-15-2011, 01:45 PM   #79
Dentedvw
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well, back again. Darnit, it looks warm out, but it's not.
I was trying to fish out the connector from in front of the radiator, but it was stuck on something. That something is the original temperature probe. Ha ha! My Jeep came to me with no mirror at all, so that explains that. Probably Davey's Jeeps kept it when they sold the Jeep, or maybe the person who wrecked this TJ did.
So, now I am wondering if the Chrysler temp probe is compatible with this mirror.
I couldn't get to the thing to check the colors though, but I will have to try again another time, I have some other things to do today.
Unread 02-28-2011, 01:39 PM   #80
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

this works great and easy also , glad I stumbled across this thread . I found a guy on Ebay who is selling Gentex 261s and all of the parts as a kit and turns off the air bag info for free if you prefer. Now I have compass/temp display at the same time and auto dimming . Missed not having a compass/temp when I am not in my truck ,handy to have . Thanks for starting this thread way back when http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Gente...Q5fAccessories
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #81
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

My display went blank the other day, but my green LED was still on, so I knew it still had power...

Toyota Tacoma 05+ have a known issue with their compass/temp display in the overhead console. The dealer will replace your console to the tune of $200-$400 or you could re-solder a resistor on it for free. Guess what? These mirrors have that issue too. When I took mine apart, I found a surface-mount resistor that must have become too hot and loosened up. I re-soldered it and works great again. The pic below is of the resistor. Hard to tell, but the jagged line on the left is the bad solder joint. I re-did all of them just for grins.
bad-resistor-002-large-.jpg  

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

Society is no match for a stupid person.

"Life Is tough but it is tougher when you are stupid"

-John Wayne
dbbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #82
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary2 View Post
this works great and easy also , glad I stumbled across this thread . I found a guy on Ebay who is selling Gentex 261s and all of the parts as a kit and turns off the air bag info for free if you prefer. Now I have compass/temp display at the same time and auto dimming . Missed not having a compass/temp when I am not in my truck ,handy to have . Thanks for starting this thread way back when http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Gente...Q5fAccessories
FYI- That seller is straight up. Wonderful to work with, answers any and all questions. I definitely recommend him.

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

-John Wayne
Unread 05-03-2011, 07:45 AM   #83
Dentedvw
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My gentex will only display the compass, but the second button doesn't read the same as most of them. It says COMP. So, that means NO temp. Model number is the same as the rest. So, look out.
Unread 05-03-2011, 07:55 AM   #84
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentedvw View Post
My gentex will only display the compass, but the second button doesn't read the same as most of them. It says COMP. So, that means NO temp. Model number is the same as the rest. So, look out.
Not following you. The 177 early model was a 1 line display and would only display the comp OR temp but not both at the same time. The 177a (IIRC) was a 2 line display. What do you mean the 2nd button "doesn't read the same?"

-John Wayne
Unread 05-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #85
KevKaos
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Subscribed

[FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Red"]RED JEEP CLUB # 621[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
It's not much, but check out my build thread;
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/kevkaoss-05-red-rubicon-build-thread-1170741/[/url]
[QUOTE=krashnpa;12397572] I know kev was riding his tank skid and belly pretty good on some of the blacks up at RC, but he doesn't back down from the line either.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=squazz;13612008]so I use my original nuts?[/QUOTE]

You should, in no way, take any of this personally. It's just business. So to recap, I come in peace, I mean you no harm, and you all will die. Gallaxhar out.
KevKaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #86
GJR
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My mirror reads GNTX-177 and it's a dual display. It's out of a 2002 Yukon. I haven't wired it up yet but I'm crossing my fingers. I plan on wiring like the OP did so many years ago. The wiring harness is different than his but I'm hoping the pins in the back of the mirror will be the same. If anyone knows differently, please clue me in. As far as the conversation about sensor placement early on, has anybody thought of putting the sensor somewhere in the back of the jeep? I have an '06 TJ and I found a little cubby hole by the filler tube and I thought "why not here?" Any thoughts on that or some other place in the back?

O.K. I'm trying to figure out how to include pics but not having any luck. I have a pic of my harness and another of the two buttons but I guess I could tell you that the one on the left reads "comp" and the right reads "temp". But I have the dual display so I don't know why I need the buttons. The harness only has wires in 1,2,3,6 & 7. 4 & 5 are empty.
GJR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #87
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you've got it. The sensor, IIRC, probably already has wires within the harness at the grill and at the dash. Why run new ones to the filler neck?

-John Wayne
Unread 07-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #88
GJR
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Because it sounded like there was a lot of heating radiating from the radiator. I understand that when your moving that's not an issue. But if you sitting at a light for any length of time you reading is going to creep up. I know when I've been messing with that sensor to check wiring, routing and such (right after driving) there is a lot of heat. Put it under the fender, away from the engine and radiator, you have heat from the street apparently. So I thought putting the sensor in the back would eliminate the engine/radiator issue. By the filler tube, there is a piece of plastic shielding that would possibly protect it from radiant heat from the street. Am I concerning myself with nonsense? I kind of thought it was a good idea.

I don't have the harness in the dash, I checked that out already. I guess the '06 TJ X's didn't get that harness. I do however have the sensor in the front. I would just need to disconnect (or cut) the wiring where it tee's into the main harness; hopefully disconnect and then splice it into my wiring. If I were to leave it at the radiator that is.......
Unread 07-19-2011, 08:38 PM   #89
GJR
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I started on the mirror harness tonight and my 7 pin plug isn't wired like the OP's 7 pin plug is. This shouldn't be a problem as long as the boards in the mirror (that the plug plugs into) are the same. Does anybody know if the mirrors are the same inside? I have a dual display, 7 pin, GNTX-177 mirror. I'm re-pinning and wiring mine like the OP did and I'm hoping someone can shed light on wether or not I'm going to have problems that are caused by the wiring.

I just realized this is the second time I've asked this but I still need an answer if somebody has it. Thanks!!
Unread 07-20-2011, 07:21 AM   #90
Slithering_Joe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJR View Post
I started on the mirror harness tonight and my 7 pin plug isn't wired like the OP's 7 pin plug is. This shouldn't be a problem as long as the boards in the mirror (that the plug plugs into) are the same. Does anybody know if the mirrors are the same inside? I have a dual display, 7 pin, GNTX-177 mirror. I'm re-pinning and wiring mine like the OP did and I'm hoping someone can shed light on wether or not I'm going to have problems that are caused by the wiring.

I just realized this is the second time I've asked this but I still need an answer if somebody has it. Thanks!!
You may need to hunt on the internet to verify the pin diagram for your application. I had a Donnelly mirror without map lamps then I upgraded to a Donnelly mirror with map lamps. The connectors are identical but the wiring orientation to the pins is different. I wouldn't be surprised that Gentex did the same thing. (The mirrors for Gentex and Donnelly could also be made by the same manufacturer.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.