Compass/Temp/Auto dim mirror swap (detailed with lots-o-pics) - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Compass/Temp/Auto dim mirror swap (detailed with lots-o-pics)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #61
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have a question. In the write-up, you state that the mirror will need too be calibrated if "off" for a long time. As I see it, there is no constant +12v to the mirror. Will this be an issue (do you know) if the vehicle is off for a few weeks or are we long months?

Also, I just found a mirror and sensor. The temp is still wildly off, even after trying each of the 3 sensors I bought, so I assume that it must be the mirror. Well, back to the junk yard. Good thing they gave me a 6 month warranty, too bad the yard is an hour away.

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

Society is no match for a stupid person.

"Life Is tough but it is tougher when you are stupid"

-John Wayne
dbbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2011, 09:28 PM   #62
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Oh yeah, one more thing. There are a couple of mirror styles out there. I found one with a more "square" window for the compass/temp. This one will display both at the same time. The one with a more "rectangular" window will only display one or the other at a time. But I do not know what year model it ame off of.

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

-John Wayne
Unread 02-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #63
basssolow5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

question, i have a 99 tj and it doesnt have all that nice plastic that hides the painted windshield frame from view. is there anyway of making this look professional by hiding the wires? i mean by not having them visible to view except for right where it comes out of the mirror? it looks like the op just ran his wires along the top of the frame but im not sure...
colorado jeep club member #730

stimulating the economy one part at a time!
basssolow5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2011, 09:53 PM   #64
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

If anyone is curious, here is the color code for the GM mirrors:

PIN 1 PINK POWER +12 volts (wire 39)

PIN 2 BK CHASSIS, GND (wire 1850)

PIN 3 LT GRN BACKUP LIGHTS (wire 1324)

PIN 4 GY TO AUTO DIM OUTSIDE MIRROR (wire 1690)

PIN 5 PINK TO AUTO DIM OUTSIDE MIRROR (wire 1691)

PIN 6 DR GRN/WT TEMP PROBE (wire 636)

PIN 7 BK/WT TEMP PROBE (wire 1704)

-John Wayne
Unread 02-06-2011, 07:58 AM   #65
Slithering_Joe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssolow5 View Post
question, i have a 99 tj and it doesnt have all that nice plastic that hides the painted windshield frame from view. is there anyway of making this look professional by hiding the wires? i mean by not having them visible to view except for right where it comes out of the mirror? it looks like the op just ran his wires along the top of the frame but im not sure...
Here's what I used: Cordmate by Wiremold at Home Depot. It is self adhesive, trimmable, paintable
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/i...3/#post7339875

I also used heat shrink wrap in the area of the wiring that makes the right angle turn from the upper right corner of the windshield. This gives a clean look for the 5 wires running around.
Unread 02-06-2011, 08:07 AM   #66
basssolow5
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithering_Joe View Post
Here's what I used: Cordmate by Wiremold at Home Depot. It is self adhesive, trimmable, paintable
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/i...3/#post7339875
that doesnt look bad. but i guess im too much of a perfectionist to want to do that. i want to be able to hide the wire completely while retaining some sort of oem look. has anyone drilled into the windshield frame itself and ran the wire through that somehow?
colorado jeep club member #730

stimulating the economy one part at a time!
basssolow5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #67
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Check out either Stu Olsen's site or the Oman 4X4 site. I think one of those two did it that way.

-John Wayne
Unread 02-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #68
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Had a chance to go hunting today. I found 2 mirrors and 2 sensors. I wanted a spare of each in case one did not work. All work, so now I have an extra set. Anyone want a mirror (square window type- shows both temp and compass at the same time), mirror pigtail, air sensor and sensor pigtail? Shipped to your door for $45. I have tested it to confirm it works.

-John Wayne
Unread 02-07-2011, 08:07 PM   #69
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nevermind, its gone now.

-John Wayne
Unread 02-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #70
Dentedvw
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have an auto dimming mirror in the TJ now, but I would like to have map lights as well. The temp readout would be a bonus.
Anyone know of a GM vehicle that came with map lights and temp? I wouldn't miss the auto dimming part, it's okay but not the reason I picked out this mirror to begin with, it was just larger and not broken like my original.
Unread 02-08-2011, 09:05 PM   #71
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Here is another great write-up on the install...

http://www.wanderingtrail.com/Mods/T...lec_Mirror.htm

-John Wayne
Unread 02-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #72
scs2016
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd1 View Post
Had a chance to go hunting today. I found 2 mirrors and 2 sensors. I wanted a spare of each in case one did not work. All work, so now I have an extra set. Anyone want a mirror (square window type- shows both temp and compass at the same time), mirror pigtail, air sensor and sensor pigtail? Shipped to your door for $45. I have tested it to confirm it works.
Just curious what the donor vehicles were?
Thanks,
scs2016 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #73
ChicagoRod
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithering_Joe View Post

In the summer you may you may get undesirable readings by installing the temperature sensor as in your picture above. Initially, I installed my sensor similarly and the sensor would pick up the heat radiated by the sun off the road surface. I would see temps in the 100*F+ range when it was only 85*F. Ironically, moving the sensor behind the grill improved the function drastically. The factory location for the sensor is so far the best position but it is not perfect.

Nice writeup!
I like the write as well but would also question mounting the temp sensor under the fender. I can't imagine what a sensor would read when caked in mud or snow.
168049_1868535075964_1318689919_32143693_7828491_n.jpg  

It's the Jeepforum, you WILL understand or someone will help you!

Does your gas tank overflow at the pump? [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/have-fuel-spill-problems-like-many-us-submit-complaint-force-recall-974337/"]SUBMIT FORMAL COMPLAINT HERE! [/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/"]New to the JeepForum? First TJ/LJ? Click here.[/URL]

[URL="https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Jeep-Wrangler-LJ-Unlimited/238153862870221"]
FaceBook Page for LJ Owners[/URL]
ChicagoRod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2011, 06:47 AM   #74
Slithering_Joe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRod View Post
I like the write as well but would also question mounting the temp sensor under the fender. I can't imagine what a sensor would read when caked in mud or snow.
Its not there anymore. See below:

Unread 02-12-2011, 11:42 AM   #75
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssolow5 View Post
that doesnt look bad. but i guess im too much of a perfectionist to want to do that. i want to be able to hide the wire completely while retaining some sort of oem look. has anyone drilled into the windshield frame itself and ran the wire through that somehow?
Have you thought about getting the plastic header piece from a later TJ and mounting it in yours?

-John Wayne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.