Compass/Temp/Auto dim mirror swap (detailed with lots-o-pics) - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Compass/Temp/Auto dim mirror swap (detailed with lots-o-pics)

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-29-2010, 10:52 PM   #46
cranksterwatch
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would think you could swap the wires and see what happens. I cant think of what fuse it could be? Glad to see your compass is working..

cranksterwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 10:53 PM   #47
parabs
2000 TJ Wrangler 

great post, this is also on my shortlist.

Thanks for taking time out and doing such a detailed job!
Unread 01-29-2010, 10:59 PM   #48
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranksterwatch View Post
I would think you could swap the wires and see what happens. I cant think of what fuse it could be? Glad to see your compass is working..
I tried swapping them. It is still blinking no fuse and the compass shows a reading but the temp says SC and when I hold it in...the little F deg blinks. hmmmm

I checked the fuses behind the glove box and 6, 15 and 16 is empty...hmmm! Im lost...any ideas anyone???
tcoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2010, 07:03 AM   #49
Rjsimms
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I picked up the factory mirror and sensor. I went to install it this weekend, and the plug on the dash is not there. The sensor plug is where it is supposed to be. The PO of the TJ had an alarm system installed at the dealer. I wonder if they used that plug or wires for it? Does anyone know where the plug/wires originate from? If I could find that maybe I could determine a solution. Of course my fall back is to find the other plug and just wire it in.
Unread 02-08-2010, 09:01 AM   #50
wkmincey
2004 TJ Wrangler 

That is a really great mod. I recently traded my truck for the Jeep and the truck had both temp and heading and I kinda miss it. Not so much the heading but the temp for sure. Going to give this a try when I can go to the pull a part and get the parts for it.

Great writeup by the way.
wkmincey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #51
Zakman
A locked & armored Sport

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Great write-up. I just installed the CIPA version.
Sorry to hijack, but any thoughts why my temp sensor is reading -20F off from the actual temperature?

Compass, auto-diming, and map lights all work correctly.

Thanks in advance.

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/z...-sport-671095/
Zakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #52
SkylinesSuck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

OP-thanks again for the idea and the write up man. I finally got mine running perfect with all the functions today and I'm super happy with it. It took me a while to figure out how to turn on the auto dimm with the GNTX-177 (hold down "temp" for 15 seconds, and the little green led in the front lights up) but now it works and I love the mirror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakman View Post
Sorry to hijack, but any thoughts why my temp sensor is reading -20F off from the actual temperature?
I'd replace the sensor. Sounds like what happens when they go bad from what I've read.
Unread 03-06-2010, 03:51 PM   #53
cheech66
2006 LJ Wrangler 

great write up Zach and something I would love to do on my LJ tks a bunch!!
cheech66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2010, 01:14 AM   #54
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjsimms View Post
I picked up the factory mirror and sensor. I went to install it this weekend, and the plug on the dash is not there. The sensor plug is where it is supposed to be. The PO of the TJ had an alarm system installed at the dealer. I wonder if they used that plug or wires for it? Does anyone know where the plug/wires originate from? If I could find that maybe I could determine a solution. Of course my fall back is to find the other plug and just wire it in.
I'm not absolutely sure they all have the plug under the dash cover strip. Mine is an 02 and it didn't have one hence the reason I used the Tahoe version. I'll see what i can find in terms of a wiring diagram for the factory plug and add it to the write up. Worst case scenario its really only 4 wires you have to add to make it work; power and ground and the temp sensor wiring.
Unread 05-30-2010, 11:43 PM   #55
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have an 01 TJ and cant find the harness in the dash. Must be an 03-06 option.

I want a mirror with the map lights that come on with the door and dome light. Having the temp and compass would be cool too.

I assume the wires you did not use in the harness could be used for map lights or are used for that in a mirror that has them.

Now the big question what vehicles have the temp compass and map lights?
balzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2010, 01:03 AM   #56
TJamz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Good question balzer. This is great! Awesome writeup. Now I have a new project!
TJamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2010, 08:46 PM   #57
Slithering_Joe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I just found/received a Donnelly replacement mirror with map lamps on Ebay. Its the same mirror that broke but with map lamps. All I have to do is transfer the respective pins & wiring over to my already installed harness and I am good.
Slithering_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #58
Brumble83
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Great Write Up. Definitely adding this to the to-do-list. Thanks Man
Brumble83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 08:42 PM   #59
usjeepers
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjsimms View Post
I have two 05s with the same problem.
usjeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #60
dbbd1

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Great write-up, thanks.

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

Society is no match for a stupid person.

"Life Is tough but it is tougher when you are stupid"

-John Wayne
dbbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.