Compass/Temp/Auto dim mirror swap (detailed with lots-o-pics) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Compass/Temp/Auto dim mirror swap (detailed with lots-o-pics)

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinLedlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!

Unread 01-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #31
cranksterwatch
2004 TJ Wrangler 

That's the connection! Just plug up the mirror and temp sensor in the grill and you will be in business!

cranksterwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #32
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo101 View Post
great work ! i have this mirror and the conector for about a year and never got into installing it, thanks now i have all the info! one thing I have an 03 tj when you remove the plastic vent windshield vent ( in front of the dashboart) there is a connector there, it appears to be prewired for this time of mirrors, does anybody know?
look up a couple posts...I posted some pics of the connect under the dash..if that is what you have then you're good...thanks to cranksterwatch!
tcoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 10:27 AM   #33
southtxdstroyer
2006 LJ Wrangler 

anyone know if this will work with an onstar mirror?
my buddy has a tahoe that he is thinking of getting rid of
he said i can swap my mirror for his if it works
ill have the only onstar jeep out there
Such is the rule of honor.
open your eyes www.infowars.com
southtxdstroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #34
cranksterwatch
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You may get the temp and compass to work but onstar would be another story. Onstar is a subscription service that requires a cellular based transmitter to communicate with onstar. It is basically a smart phone installed in the dash that has GPS so Onstar can locate you. Kinda like having big brother with you at all times. The compass and temp may work but Onstar woulb be a long shot.
Unread 01-23-2010, 02:15 PM   #35
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ok just got back from a salvage yard. Looks like I found a beaut out of a Chevy SUV. Not sure what it was cuz someone took everything off of it that had the name, It looked like a Tahoe. Anyway, can anyone tell me if that is the temp sensor? I looked all over the front of the truck and I saw this mounted below the horn in front of the radiator/AC unit. Also, I was unable to get the entire wire harness, so i took everything I could. I unplugged the 7 pin connector from the mirror and followed that all the way inside/top of the dash. A worker from the yard said it is almost impossible to get where that runs to. So, he recommended I cut the wire near the dash and take that, so I did. Now does anyone know how to connect it to that plug on top of the dash? Does Jeep or anyone sell the female connector for that plug? I figured I could solder the wires to the female connector and plug it in. Any suggestions? Here are some pics. If you need to see more of the harness I took, I can take more. Thanks!

Unread 01-23-2010, 02:33 PM   #36
cranksterwatch
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like you found everything you needed. That is a temp. Sensor you may want to check and see if it will mate up with your factory harness. As far as the connector to complete your install, I would try your local jeep dealer and see if he can get the pins and connector for you. Also, if you go to the dealer I would see if they can get the temp sensor bracket too. If you can't get the bracket you can make an "L" bracket and use a self tapping 10mm screw to bolt the bracket to the factory hole. Good Luck and have fun!
Unread 01-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #37
southtxdstroyer
2006 LJ Wrangler 

i was only kidding about the onstar
i was really wondering if an onstar mirror would work or the lack of the cell transmitter would cause problems
Unread 01-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #38
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranksterwatch View Post
Looks like you found everything you needed. That is a temp. Sensor you may want to check and see if it will mate up with your factory harness. As far as the connector to complete your install, I would try your local jeep dealer and see if he can get the pins and connector for you. Also, if you go to the dealer I would see if they can get the temp sensor bracket too. If you can't get the bracket you can make an "L" bracket and use a self tapping 10mm screw to bolt the bracket to the factory hole. Good Luck and have fun!
Ok do u happen to know what that harness part # is? I called 3 different jeep dealers now and none of them can find the harness from the mirror to the plug on the dash. Its so annoying. Thanks dude. I wish I had that darn connector
Unread 01-23-2010, 04:45 PM   #39
cranksterwatch
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I bet the mirror would work. You would just have an extra button you could wire up to activate something cool! Does the mirror have the homelink for a garage door? That's what I would like to find.
Unread 01-23-2010, 04:46 PM   #40
southtxdstroyer
2006 LJ Wrangler 

i think the garage door openers are on the overhead console
Unread 01-23-2010, 05:24 PM   #41
cranksterwatch
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Try part number: 56047087AC. This is listed as; Wiring, Mirror Jumper.
Unread 01-23-2010, 05:39 PM   #42
Slithering_Joe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachjf View Post
I did a similar mod using a Mazda mirror. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/i...70-oem-789883/
(I guess you can say my post was vauge and lacked wiring diagrams.)

In the summer you may you may get undesirable readings by installing the temperature sensor as in your picture above. Initially, I installed my sensor similarly and the sensor would pick up the heat radiated by the sun off the road surface. I would see temps in the 100*F+ range when it was only 85*F. Ironically, moving the sensor behind the grill improved the function drastically. The factory location for the sensor is so far the best position but it is not perfect.

Nice writeup!
Unread 01-23-2010, 05:47 PM   #43
cranksterwatch
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ambient Temp. Sensor part # 56042395

Temp. Sensor Bracket part # 56047123AB
Unread 01-23-2010, 07:59 PM   #44
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranksterwatch View Post
Try part number: 56047087AC. This is listed as; Wiring, Mirror Jumper.
Awesome! thanks a lot for all your help. I remember that name. When I finally called this last Jeep dealer he said he can order me the "wiring mirror jumper". Which I said well lets try it. Only thing is, they dont have it for an 2003 TJ only for 2004-2006. Hope it works! It'll be delivered to the dealer on wednesday, guess i'll find out when I go pick it up. It was only $39 buks after taxes and the mirror and temp sensor was only $5 buks from the yard....total $44 buks....score!!
Unread 01-29-2010, 10:46 PM   #45
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

anyone?? please help me...http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wi...8/#post8793317

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.