Compass/Temp/Auto dim mirror swap (detailed with lots-o-pics) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Compass/Temp/Auto dim mirror swap (detailed with lots-o-pics)

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 01-20-2010, 05:50 PM   #16
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachjf View Post
if you can get the mirror and the wiring plug for the mirror your good because the temp sensor and plug are everywhere in the pick a part places, $5 at the most for it
Pick a part places?? I think you are referring to like autozone or advance auto parts?

tcoche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2010, 06:14 PM   #17
SkylinesSuck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nope.........

Pull-A-Part
Unread 01-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #18
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylinesSuck View Post
Nope.........

Pull-A-Part
Thanks for clarifying! No wonder why I never heard of it, there are not in my area. Do you think I could get them from Autozone, Checker or Advance???
Unread 01-20-2010, 07:14 PM   #19
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoche View Post
Thanks for clarifying! No wonder why I never heard of it, there are not in my area. Do you think I could get them from Autozone, Checker or Advance???
They go by many names, u-pull-it, pick-a-part, they are just a wrecking yard where you pay a couple bucks to go in the yard and pull the parts off the cars yourself instead of having the yard do it for you. If you can find the mirror and plug just ask them if you can have them pull the sensor for you at the same time. The place I went for my first setup let me go out in their yard with one of the parts pullers and show him what I needed
Unread 01-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #20
cranksterwatch
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 2004 TJ that I put a factory jeep compass/temp/auto dimming mirror in. My jeep had the wiring harness for the temp sensor and dome lights under the trim plate on the passenger side of the dash. All you need to do is pop the trim off and plug into the seven pin connector. The temp sensor harness was in the front of the radiator on the drivers side. I would assume most TJ's would have the same set up. I was able to get the harness that ran from the mirror to the connection on the top of the dash. The install took 30 minutes using all factory parts. I would check the top of my dash before you go to all the trouble of creating a new harness. You may get lucky and have the same thing I did.
cranksterwatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2010, 08:34 PM   #21
SkylinesSuck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, the good thing about this type of yard is they just go by what they judge something is worth or by a list of prices. How much would you pay for some "random rear view mirror" from a junk yard? They have a list and it probably says $5 or something. What does the girl working part time behind the counter know it it's a $300 from the dealer computerized rear view mirror or a $5 piece of plastic and glass from a 1976 Ford Pinto. That goes for a lot of things from u-pull-it places. You need to go there a couple of times and feel the places out. This isn't an endorsement to steal, nor is it a good example (just drunk and it's what I can think of)----most of the chicks that you pay at the place I go couldn't tell a camshaft from a crank angle sensor. A unit bearing from a u-joint. A cylinder head from a wheel cylinder. It's a junk yard and they are usually happy to get something for the stuff that they will otherwise throw away in a couple of weeks.

**And just a warning to potential pick pockets. They had a cop inspecting tool bags last time I went to the yard. Just a tip. Being vague about a part, grey area. Lying or stealing--go to jail.
Unread 01-20-2010, 09:24 PM   #22
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranksterwatch View Post
I have a 2004 TJ that I put a factory jeep compass/temp/auto dimming mirror in. My jeep had the wiring harness for the temp sensor and dome lights under the trim plate on the passenger side of the dash. All you need to do is pop the trim off and plug into the seven pin connector. The temp sensor harness was in the front of the radiator on the drivers side. I would assume most TJ's would have the same set up. I was able to get the harness that ran from the mirror to the connection on the top of the dash. The install took 30 minutes using all factory parts. I would check the top of my dash before you go to all the trouble of creating a new harness. You may get lucky and have the same thing I did.
Good to know, I appreciate that. Could you maybe be a little more specific on the location of this wiring harness? I'm a newb on this stuff and when you say dash and wiring harness, I look at the dash and say wtf!
Unread 01-20-2010, 10:44 PM   #23
cranksterwatch
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sure thing. Start by sitting in the passenger seat. Grasp the two inch trip piece that is at the base of the windshield. Start from the right side and gently pull up on the trim to remove. Once the trim is off, the plug will be laying in a cut-out area right in front of you. This connection carry the battery lead,ground, temp sensorand the LED lights. Now if you don't or can't find this cable I would highly recommend that you pirchase the harness/patch cord fro§ a Jeed Dealer. Ones you make those two connections in the cab you are all but finished. Next go to the front of the jeep on the drivers side. ,between the grill and radiatior there is a gap or tray at the bottom of the
radiator and this is where the temp sensor has been waiting patientley. You will still need tbe sensor and mointing bracket. If you don't have a donor. The harhess sensor and sensor bracket shuld be cheap at the jeepdealer.hope that helped.
Unread 01-20-2010, 11:00 PM   #24
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Sure thing. Start by sitting in the passenger seat. Grasp the two inch trip piece that is at the base of the windshield. Start from the right side and gently pull up on the trim to remove. Once the trim is off, the plug will be laying in a cut-out area right in front of you. This connection carry the battery lead,ground, temp sensorand the LED lights. Now if you don't or can't find this cable I would highly recommend that you pirchase the harness/patch cord fro§ a Jeed Dealer. Ones you make those two connections in the cab you are all but finished. Next go to the front of the jeep on the drivers side. ,between the grill and radiatior there is a gap or tray at the bottom of the
radiator and this is where the temp sensor has been waiting patientley. You will still need tbe sensor and mointing bracket. If you don't have a donor. The harhess sensor and sensor bracket shuld be cheap at the jeepdealer.hope that helped.
Awesome! Thanks dude. I followed what you said. Is this the plug i'm looking for?......if this is the plug I need, is this the only connection I need inside the cab? Also, will only a Jeep mirror plug in to this connection or can I use like a chevy tahoe mirror? just in case I cant find a Jeep mirror at a junk yard...thanks again......

Last edited by tcoche; 01-20-2010 at 11:29 PM..
Unread 01-21-2010, 06:49 AM   #25
cranksterwatch
2004 TJ Wrangler 

That's it! Glad yours had it too. Now, all you need is the harness that runs between the mirror and the plug you just found on the top of the dash. If it were me, I would purchase one from Jeep, for no other reason that it would be a clean, quick, plug and play install. The part number MAY be 56047087AC. I say "MAY" because the drawing I have is not real specific.

At a minimum I would purchase the pins and connector from jeep, If you have to make the harness from the mirror to the dash. This way everything will plug up nicely.

As far as a GM mirror working and plugging right up to the jeep harness I believe is a real possibility. Most OEM mirrors are made by Gentex and I would assume the connector would be the same.

Good Luck with the install.
Unread 01-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #26
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's it! Glad yours had it too. Now, all you need is the harness that runs between the mirror and the plug you just found on the top of the dash. If it were me, I would purchase one from Jeep, for no other reason that it would be a clean, quick, plug and play install. The part number MAY be 56047087AC. I say "MAY" because the drawing I have is not real specific.

At a minimum I would purchase the pins and connector from jeep, If you have to make the harness from the mirror to the dash. This way everything will plug up nicely.

As far as a GM mirror working and plugging right up to the jeep harness I believe is a real possibility. Most OEM mirrors are made by Gentex and I would assume the connector would be the same.

Good Luck with the install.
Sweet! I'm soo glad its there. Seems like it will be way easier. I really appreciate your help. Now all I will need is the mirror, wire harness from mirror to plug on dash, front sensor and the mounting bracket for sensor? Correct? Its happening this weekend if I can locate the parts!!
Unread 01-23-2010, 10:32 AM   #27
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Bump....Anyone know if one of these mirrors will work from a Grand Cherokee, Liberty or any other Jeep?? I'm having problems trying to locate one of these mirrors from a salvage yard. thanks
Unread 01-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #28
cranksterwatch
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I think most factory mirrors will work regardless of Make of vehicle. Most OEM's use the Gentex mirror for their vehicles. Check out e-bay, there are a ton of them on there. Good Luck! Don't give up. Remember the chase for that elusive part is half the fun!
Unread 01-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #29
ozo101

2003 TJ Wrangler 

great work ! i have this mirror and the conector for about a year and never got into installing it, thanks now i have all the info! one thing I have an 03 tj when you remove the plastic windshield vent ( in front of the dashboart) there is a connector there, it appears to be prewired for this type of mirrors, does anybody know?

Last edited by ozo101; 01-23-2010 at 11:19 AM..
ozo101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #30
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think most factory mirrors will work regardless of Make of vehicle. Most OEM's use the Gentex mirror for their vehicles. Check out e-bay, there are a ton of them on there. Good Luck! Don't give up. Remember the chase for that elusive part is half the fun!
ok cool! thanks again dude. I'm gonna go down to this salvage yard close to the house and take a look in their yard. Maybe I'll find something.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.