Compass/Temp/Auto dim mirror swap (detailed with lots-o-pics) - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Compass/Temp/Auto dim mirror swap (detailed with lots-o-pics)

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #151
bill8bud

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Clean the dielectric grease off the connector. It may be creating addtional resistance causing your temp measurement error.

bill8bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #152
resavage

It's working just fine now. Turns out one of the pins in the harness was loose. If you buy a used mirror, make sure you check the wire connections at the pins themselves. This cleared up the false reading instantly. Thanks for the help.
resavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #153
mrsnicks

I'm going to be doing this on my 05 LJ. I bought a Gentex 177 off ebay, and was lucky enough to find the factory 56047087AC jumper wire to connect to the body harness underneath the defroster panel. My question is do I need to change the pinout of the factory Jeep harness to match the Gentex 177?

Thanks,

Patrick
mrsnicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2014, 06:45 PM   #154
BoiseTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I found a GNTX-177 at a junk yard yesterday and today punched a hole in the windshield frame, ran the wires and got everything hooked up ready to go. My 2002 doesn't have the handy power outlet under the defroster panel... of course. Problem is, I can't find a unused fuse position in the fuse box behind the glove compartment.

I purchased a mini-fuse at OReilly that allows you to plug into an open mini slot.. then using a 5 amp fuse it has a butt splice for the mirror power wire.

These are the slots I've been trying:

18 is a spare, but it has no power with ignition on or off.
3 is for a subwoofer. It has no power with ignition on or off.
and 16 is a headlight aim for exports, no power with ignition on or off.

Do I have a problem somewhere else? I pulled the fuse for the cigarette lighter and plugged in my 5 amp adapter and it the mirror powered right up, but I can't use that permanently because my wife uses that to power her ipod for music.

Anyone have any ideas?
BoiseTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2014, 11:42 PM   #155
LukeADukes
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Piggy back
Unread 01-18-2014, 11:48 PM   #156
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

You need a fuse tap that replaces a fuse & adds a 2nd one to attach to the new wire. Like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/230879096998?lpid=82

That may be what you have but not seeing the 2nd slot.(?)
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 08:53 AM   #157
BoiseTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
You need a fuse tap that replaces a fuse & adds a 2nd one to attach to the new wire. Like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/230879096998?lpid=82

That may be what you have but not seeing the 2nd slot.(?)
That's what I've got, but the one in your ebay ad must be better than the one I purchased at o'reilly... the instructions say that the amps of both fuses have to be the same, not to exceed 10 amps. There are no 5 am fuses in the fuse box.

Last edited by BoiseTJ; 01-19-2014 at 09:04 AM..
Unread 01-19-2014, 09:06 AM   #158
BoiseTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeADukes View Post
Piggy back
I may have to do that, but really didn't want to... any idea how to identify a switched wire? There is about a 6 wire bundle that runs right above the fuse box.

On edit, I ended up piggy backing the cigarette lighter and putting in a 5 amp inline fuse.
What the heck, it works!

Last edited by BoiseTJ; 01-19-2014 at 01:18 PM..
Unread 01-20-2014, 05:02 AM   #159
bthompson
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseTJ View Post
I may have to do that, but really didn't want to... any idea how to identify a switched wire? There is about a 6 wire bundle that runs right above the fuse box.

On edit, I ended up piggy backing the cigarette lighter and putting in a 5 amp inline fuse.
What the heck, it works!
I have been using 3 of those piggy back fuses on my 2002 for various addons for a few years now, and a couple of them have 10 amp fuses in them. No problems. I'm getting ready to do this this mod myself, but I don't want to add yet another piggy back, so I'm looking for a good secondary fuse panel I can add and transfer all my mods over to it.
bthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 06:27 PM   #160
h1driver
MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ

2006 LJ Wrangler 

This thread is awesome- Thanks to the OP for such a detailed writeup, and to all else who've provided inputs and insight... Definitely on my list

So, Suck-It Trebek!!! MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ

My "Build" - Collect and Assemble
h1driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 07:57 PM   #161
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1driver View Post
This thread is awesome- Thanks to the OP for such a detailed writeup, and to all else who've provided inputs and insight... Definitely on my list
Hope you find it cheap like I did.

To anyone interested. The factory Jeep auto dim compass/temp mirror was a seven pin model as are the ones in the GM trucks. If your Jeep is pre-wired for this like mine you might be able to order the factory mirror jumper wire and just plug an play. I am not positive about this but you you definitely can change the pins around in the harness if need be. I didn't go this route because I didn't want to spend the extra money. Here is the part number if anyone is interested in testing this. Would be much easier.

Here are the part numbers:
Mirror Jumper Harness - 56047087AC
Ambient Temp Sensor - 56042395
Bracket for Ambient Temp Sensor - 56047123AB
bbradUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2014, 07:37 PM   #162
tulman22
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbradUSMC View Post

Hope you find it cheap like I did.

To anyone interested. The factory Jeep auto dim compass/temp mirror was a seven pin model as are the ones in the GM trucks. If your Jeep is pre-wired for this like mine you might be able to order the factory mirror jumper wire and just plug an play. I am not positive about this but you you definitely can change the pins around in the harness if need be. I didn't go this route because I didn't want to spend the extra money. Here is the part number if anyone is interested in testing this. Would be much easier.

Here are the part numbers:
Mirror Jumper Harness - 56047087AC
Ambient Temp Sensor - 56042395
Bracket for Ambient Temp Sensor - 56047123AB
So where all would like to to see if mine is wired? I have an odd sensor-like object mounted in the front of my radiator but no clue what it is or for.
TIA
Unread 01-25-2014, 09:59 PM   #163
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulman22 View Post
So where all would like to to see if mine is wired? I have an odd sensor-like object mounted in the front of my radiator but no clue what it is or for.
TIA
Here for the ambient temp sensor harness, notice bottom of the grill in front of radiator, also mine was on the passenger side.

And here, plug for the opposite side of the mirror for the mirror jumper harness, notice white connector.

This is another great write up
http://www.wanderingtrail.com/Mods/T...lec_Mirror.htm
Unread 01-25-2014, 10:47 PM   #164
rbkelley89
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Does the compass mirror fit on the same windshield mount as the stock jeep one

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
2001 orange tj 2.5L (113,000) 35" Km2 Black rims D lp 30 Front and d 44 rear with ARB 1"BD MML, 1.25" BL, 4" RC Lift, Flat tc Skid, Adj rear ca's (front soon) TW rear DS, Novak shifter cable, JB ss SYE, RE angled rear trackbar, 8,000Lb Mile marker, Custom front and rear (w/swing) bumpers. Homemade CAI. Lots more to come.
rbkelley89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2014, 09:08 AM   #165
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkelley89 View Post
Does the compass mirror fit on the same windshield mount as the stock jeep one

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
mine did

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.